Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
Ok, at $150 it's too pricey for me, but it does sound pretty amazing

Touch and Go Records will once again release the album Spiderland in April of 2014 - this time as a deluxe limited edition remastered box set. Pressed on 180 gram vinyl and packaged in a gatefold jacket, the entire Spiderland album has been remastered from the original analog master tapes by Bob Weston at Chicago Mastering Service. The box set includes 14 previously unreleased outtakes and demos mastered by Bob Weston and pressed on 2 additional 180 gram vinyl albums packaged in a gatefold LP jacket.

Pretty cool, huh? And all three LPs sound amazing!
But, wait, WAIT! ...there's more.. so much more!

Also included in the box set:

* For your voyeuristic pleasure, the band have decided to share 100 never-before-seen personal photos documenting SLINT's entire history in a 104-page book, which includes never-before-printed lyrics to all the songs on Spiderland and a forward by longtime friend and iconic Spiderland cover photographer Will Oldham.

* Satisfy your digital needs with a download coupon? NOPE. Not this time. Instead, inside a third gatefold LP jacket you will find 2 CDs and 1 DVD: one CD containing the entire remastered Spiderland album and the second CD with all 14 bonus tracks on one disc. Stick that in your computer and play it! (or don't. It's common knowledge vinyl sounds so much better.)

* Finally, solve the mystery and learn the real story of SLINT with Breadcrumb Trail - a new never-before-seen 90 minute DVD documentary about SLINT before, during, and after the making of Spiderland. Directed by Lance Bangs! Interviews with ALL the members of SLINT (Ethan Buckler, too!) as well as Steve Albini, Corey Rusk, James Murphy, David Yow, Ian Mackaye, Jason Noble, and many more friends and peers from the band's past (including Britt's parents!). Hear first hand accounts! See archival footage! Find out if the rumors are true!

We should probably mention:
SPIDERLAND (REMASTERED) BOX SET IS LIMITED TO 3,138 copies WORLDWIDE.
All boxes are hand-numbered to reflect that vital information.
Once they are gone. They are gone. Forever.

You can PRE-ORDER your copy today from Touch and Go Records HERE

*** From now until March 8th, all Touch and Go Records website PRE-ORDERS for the SPIDERLAND (remastered) Box Set will receive a replica of the 1989 Slint tour t-shirt (of which only 45 were ever made). Using the original 1989 silk screen, we have created a new screen from which to print your very own limited edition Slint tour t-shirt. A pocket tee with “Slint” and the Slint logo printed on the pocket and the orginal design on the back – the t-shirts are as close to the original 1989 version as possible.

**** FOR A LIMITED TIME: The 104-page book inside of all SPIDERLAND (remastered) Box Sets that are PRE-ORDERED from the Touch and Go Records website will be signed by all four of the SLINT members who performed on the album.There are a limited number of books autographed by the band. These signed box sets are ONLY available with PRE-ORDERS from the Touch and Go Records website and only until we run out of the signed copies.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd imagine I'll be pretty content with having the records from the first time round,and eventually getting to see the documentary somewhere.

Wasn't the 10" outtakes? I didn't think it was great and it's presumably the best of the outtakes.

It's a rip off lads. Spiderland sounds perfect as is, what's this going to do make it "more perfect" ? Oh good a documentary, that'll be on youtube 5 minutes after the first order is shipped. I don't get these box set things at the best of time but seriously a band that released what ? Less than 2 hours of music in it's career has a fucking box set ?

C'Mon te fuck ?

Remember the time (it was 2005) Slint reformed to headline ATP? And they said "ONE OFF REUNION SHOW AT ATP" so we all went and bought tickets? And then they said "ONE OFF SHOW PLUS SHORT TOUR OF UK AND IRELAND (Vicar St?)", so we were all like, er, ok, might as well check that out too...? And now it's still going, including new music that no one gives a fuck about, endlessly reviving to play shit gigs that have totally diluted the whole weird mystery that surrounded this one amazing record by a band of kids that had split up before anyone outside their street had heard of them. I remember.

slint are really milking it to death. it's like they used to trade in mystery, but now they're revealing all for cash.

new material would be good...

I've already bought Spiderland twice, don't think I need this. Would buy the CDs/DVD alone for the outtakes so hopefully they get a separate release.

Well, not really. I'm perfectly happy listening to their records, which are obviously great. At the same time I think issuing a $150 version of Spiderland, is bullshit, although the whole picture forms an interesting case study in the way that obsessive fan culture now operates.

Think about it... A random band of hick kids in the 80s make a few recordings, play a few gigs, split up to do other things, like all young bands should.

In the years following, their music gets slowly disseminated through the DIY/hardcore network, at the same time as the members' new projects and personal reputations (at least for Pajo) become bigger and better known than Slint ever were. The two things sort of grow in tandem - oh, you like For Carnation, or Tortoise, or Palace, or Papa M? You need to listen to Slint too.

By the time the internet became the main way for people to share and learn about music, Slint is the paradigm example of the cult band, elevated to the level of indie touchstone, a foundational text, like a chapter of the bible that everyone playing angular/discordant/mathy guitar music (all or any of the three) has to know about (and I completely include every band I've ever been in here).

So the band recognise the demand for the music and decide to reform and see how it feels. I'm not cynical about their motives, or moralising about it either. I don't think they were "cashing in", nor would I care if they did. It's their music. In many ways I think more cult musicians should be rewarded. Poor Joe Meek - if only he'd known how much the future was going to love him. I felt I'd been mis-sold the ATP event, particularly when it became apparent that it was done in a half-assed manner, but whatever.

But let's think about what is actually for sale here, where what we have now is a $150, limited edition artefact that derives its value not from its content (a recording we all already own, plus some other old shite that lay in a box for 25 years), but from the mystique that was produced not by the band, but by all the obsessive fans like us who poured so much love and enthusiasm into the music and its mystery over the years, who ripped off the style or interpreted it, who proudly wrote 'slint' in the brackets on gig flyers.

That's what's for sale here. Again, I'm not actually objecting to it on grounds of "authenticity" or "cashing in". I'm not objecting to it at all. I just can't really "buy in" to it as something worthwhile. It's interesting though.

Well, not really. I'm perfectly happy listening to their records, which are obviously great. At the same time I think issuing a $150 version of Spiderland, is bullshit, although the whole picture forms an interesting case study in the way that obsessive fan culture now operates.

Think about it... A random band of hick kids in the 80s make a few recordings, play a few gigs, split up to do other things, like all young bands should.

In the years following, their music gets slowly disseminated through the DIY/hardcore network, at the same time as the members' new projects and personal reputations (at least for Pajo) become bigger and better known than Slint ever were. The two things sort of grow in tandem - oh, you like For Carnation, or Tortoise, or Palace, or Papa M? You need to listen to Slint too.

By the time the internet became the main way for people to share and learn about music, Slint is the paradigm example of the cult band, elevated to the level of indie touchstone, a foundational text, like a chapter of the bible that everyone playing angular/discordant/mathy guitar music (all or any of the three) has to know about (and I completely include every band I've ever been in here).

So the band recognise the demand for the music and decide to reform and see how it feels. I'm not cynical about their motives, or moralising about it either. I don't think they were "cashing in", nor would I care if they did. It's their music. In many ways I think more cult musicians should be rewarded. Poor Joe Meek - if only he'd known how much the future was going to love him. I felt I'd been mis-sold the ATP event, particularly when it became apparent that it was done in a half-assed manner, but whatever.

But let's think about what is actually for sale here, where what we have now is a $150, limited edition artefact that derives its value not from its content (a recording we all already own, plus some other old shite that lay in a box for 25 years), but from the mystique that was produced not by the band, but by all the obsessive fans like us who poured so much love and enthusiasm into the music and its mystery over the years, who ripped off the style or interpreted it, who proudly wrote 'slint' in the brackets on gig flyers.

That's what's for sale here. Again, I'm not actually objecting to it on grounds of "authenticity" or "cashing in". I'm not objecting to it at all. I just can't really "buy in" to it as something worthwhile. It's interesting though.

erudite miserable bastard!

I've never listened to or liked Slint because of 'the mystery' that surrounds them, I'm only interested in the amazing music that they've made and they are still an unreal live experience. The box looks cool but €155 shipped to here is just too pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back