• Thread starter dqk
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 2

dqk

Website
www.declanqkelly.blogspot.com
I came across this work by Latvian photographer Alnis Stakle recently and it got me thinking about urban night photography in general, and just how it's pretty much my favourite kind of photography. Not necessarily the flashy long-exposure photos of star (or car) trails or light writing (though they've got their place too), but the quieter sort of photographs like the above mentioned. I love photo-wandering at night, taking my time with a photograph with tripod and such; there's a meditative quality to it that can really come through in the resulting image. Sodium streetlight and moonlight can mix to create slightly off-kilter lighting conditions that give the scene a weird hyper-reality.

So anyway, I thought it might be instructive/informative/interesting to create this thread where examples of such photography could be shared, whether it be yr own work or that of another. And maybe help encourage me to head back out and do more, as it's been a while. I present one example of my own:
_10_0010+%28Medium%29.jpg

and this from Brassai's "Paris de Nuit":

brassaistreet.jpg

Hopefully that will get the ball rolling! I'd like to see other's examples, particularly of Irish towns and cities at night, so please go ahead and share.

Wasn't there someone else who posts here who put up some really nice night shots a while back? I think it was @JohnnyRaz.

Edit: Found it, it was in this thread here

That's great, what's the building in the background there, a church? Nice mix of architecture anyway, and I like the pole muscling its way in with disregard for the rest of the scene. Like an oblivious tourist.

The structure in the background is a recentlyish refurbished chapel that's part of a bigger enclosed castle structure. It is 13th century I think although as it currently stands it's really only less than a decade old.

The structure in the background is a recentlyish refurbished chapel that's part of a bigger enclosed castle structure. It is 13th century I think although as it currently stands it's really only less than a decade old.

Reminds me of that Trigger line - "This old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back