Moving back to Ireland (1 Viewer)

Is it a good idea to move back to Ireland?

• Irish has no words for "yes" and "no"

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Orange

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Yes

• Nine

• Piss

• Royston Brady

• Total voters
France is lovely, I wouldn't mind living there myself but I sometimes wonder what people do in these beautiful towns and villages, they're so quiet, everything is closed most of the time and the shut shutters are so depressing.

Billy, salaries are better here than UK. I'm not sure how taxation compares at the minute, but cost of living is definitely lower in the UK (except in London) which offsets the salary difference somewhat. Rent and house prices in Dublin are increasing, lots of nasty little charges (my post above should have read "non pay-related taxes") and silly things like paying PRSI and the USC which was supposed to replace PRSI. I fully expect our government to introduce breathing meters sometime in the next decade and charge us for air.

Of course, Ireland does have all of us (at least until we bugger off to France and Berlin) to recommend it.

It depends where you are on the mainland. Where we are it's expensive - Sandbanks (which is near me) - is one of the most expensive places in Europe. But yeah... Dublin is expensive.
Ireland is more socially conservative so if you're married with a family and a single income you seem to do better with taxes in Ireland than in England. Child benefit in Ireland is substantially more than it is in the UK. If you're married in England you don't get much in terms of tax free allowance whereas there are benefits in the tax system in Ireland. Something that's relevant to us is that artists also have a tax free allowance up to €40,000.
I reckon we'd be quite a bit better off in Ireland than here.
House prices and rent in the south of England are always crap - and they're rising. It's very crowded here too. And yes, I'm lucky to know some very nice people in Ireland.

With regards to politics in Ireland and the UK. I can understand people being pissed off with the Irish government. However at least the Dail is representative. Westminster is totally detached from the general public - you feel like a minion!

I don't think there's an ideal location to live. I just think of sitting in dappled light, enjoying the warm late afternoon and drinking freshly made cider with a loaf of warm bread and a slab of indulgent cheese. I've no idea where that place is - but I hope to be there some day.

I never realised it until I got home... but generally speaking Irish people are assholes.
Everything is terrible.
Everyone looks like they have just tasted a little drop of piss.
Rough rude and ignorant
Oh! It's nothing compared to the passive aggressiveness in the south of England.

I never realised it until I got home... but generally speaking Irish people are assholes.
Everything is terrible.
Everyone looks like they have just tasted a little drop of piss.
Rough rude and ignorant

I wouldn't have phrased it quite like that, but basically that is why I don't want my kiddo growing up here. Children and teens and the elderly are largely neglected and children especially are either treated like shit or spoiled rotten, but with no real concern for their well being, physical, emotional or societal.

There is a nasty undercurrent of begrudgery that would sooner see everything ruined than anyone enjoy anything nice, or good, or wholesome.

It's frequently a shock to come back here after travelling. I've been offered seats on trains, buses and underground in other countries just by virtue of being female while here in Ireland I was pushed aside, trampled and left standing on public transport while very heavily and obviously pregnant.

So, em... we have a nice temperate climate with very few extremes of weather, and it's green most of the year, and some of the country is very pretty - worth living here for all that.

I don't think there's an ideal location to live. I just think of sitting in dappled light, enjoying the warm late afternoon and drinking freshly made cider with a loaf of warm bread and a slab of indulgent cheese. I've no idea where that place is - but I hope to be there some day.

For us that's our dream French smallholding - it's going to be pretty much just like that, with some homemade wine to supplement the cider.

Where are one's kids when this fantasy is happening?

Where are one's kids when this fantasy is happening?
Mine is (are, I'd like another) right there, eating warm bread and nice cheese. Children fit into that life much more easily than into busy city life. Lots of room to run around, free to shout, sing, laugh and make noise (be children) without worrying about them disturbing the neighbours. Free to sleep peacefully in the evenings without being disturbed by the noisy neighbours' television/party/elephant boots.

France is lovely, I wouldn't mind living there myself but I sometimes wonder what people do in these beautiful towns and villages, they're so quiet, everything is closed most of the time and the shut shutters are so depressing.

They're subsidised by the crippling taxes imposed on urban workers.

Also, I bet even Burkino Faso is a great country to live i when you're loaded. Judge a society by how its worst off are treated is a saying for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back