I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

Kermit McDermott

I haven't been listening to vinyl for a long time but I'm looking to buy a decent quality & reasonably priced turntable. Recommendations please.

The one here for €179 here is apparently very good. I wouldn't bother with any of those crappy USB ones you get in Maplin etc. Otherwise adverts.ie can be good for the odd 2nd hand bargain. That's where I got mine.

On a related note (sorry for the thread hijack), I was going to pick up one of these amplifiers - for to go with a pro-ject turntable, like

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Yamaha-A-S500/

Any use? Or any similarly priced alternatives?

Cheers

Don't know much about current hifi amps.
I like old Adcom amps, you can pick up a used 535 on ebay for less than €200 and they sound really really good.

I got one. Not the most expensive, a stage line DJP 104USB. It has the USB connection but I'm using the stereo phono into the stereo and four speakers in the room. I haven't really listened to vinyl in over 10 years so I bought two of my favourite albums, Steely Dan - Aja (back to black 180g) & Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of summer lawns (speaker's corner 180g). Both sound really good. After reading so much pro vinyl stuff on line I was expecting to be blown away, disown my CD's, but I wasn't.
I'll still be buying CD's primarily and the odd bit of vinyl ( I have a small list)

I've a turntable that i dont use very often i could give you for €50. I bought the pair for €100, it has one of those RCA style outputs. Its like this except cleaner and has a cover:

NW25951.JPG

On a slightly related note,anyone see any tape players around for cheap?
I'm talking really cheap charity shop kinda cheap.

I got one. Not the most expensive, a stage line DJP 104USB. It has the USB connection but I'm using the stereo phono into the stereo and four speakers in the room. I haven't really listened to vinyl in over 10 years so I bought two of my favourite albums, Steely Dan - Aja (back to black 180g) & Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of summer lawns (speaker's corner 180g). Both sound really good. After reading so much pro vinyl stuff on line I was expecting to be blown away, disown my CD's, but I wasn't.
I'll still be buying CD's primarily and the odd bit of vinyl ( I have a small list)

Did you get a copy of Hissing with the embossed sleeve?

I recently bought the Dark Side of the Moon vinyl reissue and the 20th anniversary cd definitely sounds better on my set up. Most albums I have on vinyl i dont have on cd too so i wont have to do too many of these comparisons. i have a decent enough project turntable and decent enough speakers.

With the greatest respect, you get what you pay for. You're not going to have your mind blown with a 120 euro turntable.

I'm going to hi jack this thread. I'm half thinking of taking the plunge and buying a vinyls player for playing vinyls. Can any of ye recommend a decent player for less than €200?

(Yes, I'm aware I said vinyls. Twice. And that it's an appaling word.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back