House prices (1 Viewer)

I never want to own a house.

Also, who in their right mind would buy this place?
19A Long Lane, South City Centre - D8, Dublin 8 -

I'd buy that place. You could live extremely simply there, in the heart of everything.

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion.

You are taller than it is wide.
Fine rent it but buy it? For that much? Sake.

136k In that part of town it is pretty amazing. Look at it this way to rent a one bedroom flat in the same neck of the woods you're talking 10-12 grand a year and it'll be a lot smaller with more shitty neighbours a cunt of a landlord and no garden.

Which indicates that the right time to buy was about 6-12 months ago, and the wrong time to buy is anytime between now and the next housing market collapse.
it was actually even longer than that; i'd say the bottom was reached last summer, for the houses which are now rising. not just south dublin either, lots of 'mature area' three and four beds are selling like hot cakes. a friend was at an open viewing earlier this year, and there were 125 people in attendance.

Myself and the wife have started looking around carpenterstown because we've been renting out here a few years and like the area and yeah, there's a ridiculous amount of people turning up to open viewings. We're also starting to realise that we've probably left it too late. Houses are going for a good bit more than the asking price out here. We're pretty much priced out of it completely.

136k In that part of town it is pretty amazing. Look at it this way to rent a one bedroom flat in the same neck of the woods you're talking 10-12 grand a year and it'll be a lot smaller with more shitty neighbours a cunt of a landlord and no garden.

Admittedly a few years ago, but when rents were higher on average than they are now, I was renting a one bed apartment in D8, 10 minutes walk from Trinity College and about the same from O'Connell St. It was considerably bigger than that dump, had french doors out onto a huge south facing terrace and was less than €500 a month.

You can still have shitty neighbours in a property you own, but you're fucking stuck with them, and your poxy small gaff and your noose like mortgage.

There's a shortage of properties in North County Dublin anyway. Not sure about the southside but some good sale prices being achieved.

People are being approved mortgages but it's around the 85% - 90% LTV.

The further you go from Dublin - Laois, Longford, Carlow, Westmeath etc - the shittier it gets with oversupply and unfinished estates.

interesting 'dynamic' round where i live (d3/d9) most of what appears to be shifting quickly are either 'investment' properties - ie old georgian/victorian buildings broken up into flats, or the higher end stuff. a lot of the more middle of the road stuff seems to be sitting round for a while.

also heard an estate agent saying that only .9% of dublins housing stock is on the market at the moment, as oposed to 3-5% in a normal market. however, given that estate agents are almost to a man/woman absolute spoofers I dont know how reliable a stat that it.

hard to see the banks being in a position to lend copiously/stupidly enough to really stoke things up again?

House of death.
You'd have to stay there 13 years for it to equal renting someplace larger near by. Plus, then probably being unable to unload it.
Freedom is not being tied to anything.

It's an investment in freedom.

Once a place is paid for, it's paid for. Who wants to be making rent at 70?

House of death.
You'd have to stay there 13 years for it to equal renting someplace larger near by. Plus, then probably being unable to unload it.
Freedom is not being tied to anything.

It's an investment in freedom.

Once a place is paid for, it's paid for. Who wants to be making rent at 70?

This argument here

can you guys please figure it out for me and tell me which wins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back