The Clash-A Massive Box Set plus ANOTHER Best of...... (1 Viewer)

nutmeg81

the soon to be released box set Sound System looks pretty good and shows they must really despise Cut the Crap!! http://pitchfork.com/news/50831-the...haped-like-a-boombox-plus-greatest-hits-comp/

however all the extras are meant to be non album singles, b-sides etc and most of them would seem to have been released previously on their singles comp, live at shea stadium, from here to eternity (live), super black market clash or that clash on broadway box set from about 10 years ago....

also why do they think there is a need for another - 32 track - best of? There is already the 2xcd Story of the clash vol 1 (vol 2 never materialised and why would it?), the 2xcd essential clash, the singles (released twice), the 3/4xcd clash on broadway comp too. And they have a ltd edition of the best of with an extra 10 tracks for some reason?!

anyone gonna bother getting it for the remastered albums?

I want I want it I want it I want it

it'll probably just go on the someday but probably never wishlist along with the Talking Heads Brick and Blur boxset and Beatles boxset and... yeah.

The Clash remasters were a little on the loud side so I doubt if these will be good.

Stick with the vinyl or the original CDs.

Anyway - no Cut The Crap means NO SALE.

In all honesty I listen to digital files or on a vinyl player with crappy speakers, my experience is so far away from that of an audiophile....

do you think they should have forced Mick Jones to remaster it?

Some strange song choices in there....
I'd say those two obscure glam compilations that rpm put out would be much more interesting.

omg there's a Gay Dad song* is on the glam boxset.

*the only Gay Dad song

In 1969 Joe Stunna and Grace Jones were tramping around the pub reggae circuit in acts such as Laid Back and The Wunna Wunnas. Then they saw The Eagles ... and then they saw The Sex Epistles and put 2 and two together ... which equals CASH in case you didn't know. Together with Paul Synonym out of the special art school and some other guy the formed The Cash in 1984, ostensibly to make some money but, in a classic Trojan Horse gambit they also hope to get their tiny tiny hands on some cash. After a slew of albums including 'The Cash', 'Cut the cash', 'Got any cash?' and 'This is your cash' the band finally called it a day in 1984. Davy Jones went on to form Big In Japan with Don King and Joe Stungun went on to something or other. Their controversial and lucrative legacy lives on ...

Well bearing in mind that punk died the day that the Clash signed to CBS this is hardly a new criticism. I don't think the Clash were ever untrue to their principles, they just weren't very good at being what other people probably wanted them to be or hoped they'd be. #

I mean even stuff like this:

But with a price of around the £80 mark, and coming from a band who famously kept record and ticket prices within the financial reach of their fans – double album London Calling retailed for £5 on its release in 1979 while its follow-up a year later, the hefty triple album Sandinista! was pegged at £5.99

isn't even correct. Sandinista! was only sold at the cheap price in the UK, everyone else had to pay full price for the triple. Their 'principles' were always foisted upon them.

If you go through the reviews at the time they only got good reviews in 1977 and 1979, the rest of the time was just a mountain of huge and constant criticism. This, at least, has never gone away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back