fundit, infographic, well? (1 Viewer)

If you don't make enough money from gigging/selling records and you choose to persevere then what you are doing becomes a hobby, and you should expect to pay for it out of your own pocket before asking others for cash.

mostly thinking out loud here, but;

I mostly agree, but from my own perspective, due to where i live geographically, gigging any place where there are a bunch of people who like music is basically a financial strain, no matter how good the promoters have been to us. That puts me in the position of already paying to play 95% of the time. That would apply to any band living far from population centers - I don't really mind, but with my income it means i can either play gigs or make records, but i can't do both at the same time. The other band i'm in now are in a population centre and we seem to be able to do grand when its only costing a few euro to get in to play a show. So my rural band have already paid for making the record, and touring it is going to basically financially destroy me i expect, so its not too unreasonable to put the idea of crowd funding some part of that on the table is it?? Otherwise it sorta looks like only bands from population centres should make records, or petrol should be free to musicians, or the interet isn't doing for music what people touted it would??

I'm more surprised they're so far off their target, albeit with a ways to go. Assumed they'd walk it easily
I'm not totally surprised. If you think of it as a pre-sale of a record at €10 a pop they'd need to sell 2000 copies in advance of the record even being finished. I would have rarely bought a record without at least hearing the single first. I'd say Kid A is the only time I've ever blindly bought an album.

I'm a bit more surprised that they have €4,450 from 172 funders. That's an average €25 a head ? I never thought funders where that generous, this is the first one I've bothered to do the maths for.

From reading the fundit blurb it does seem like it's a last resort maybe a slightly ambitious last resort.

I mostly agree, but from my own perspective, due to where i live geographically, gigging any place where there are a bunch of people who like music is basically a financial strain, no matter how good the promoters have been to us. That puts me in the position of already paying to play 95% of the time. That would apply to any band living far from population centers - I don't really mind, but with my income it means i can either play gigs or make records, but i can't do both at the same time. The other band i'm in now are in a population centre and we seem to be able to do grand when its only costing a few euro to get in to play a show. So my rural band have already paid for making the record, and touring it is going to basically financially destroy me i expect, so its not too unreasonable to put the idea of crowd funding some part of that on the table is it?? Otherwise it sorta looks like only bands from population centres should make records, or petrol should be free to musicians, or the interet isn't doing for music what people touted it would??
I think it's kind accepted (unfortunate but accepted) that you have to move to a big city to "make it" as a band. If it was possible to live in New Jersey or Conneticut and be successful NYCs music scene would empty overnight.

I actually think thats ok. If I was a big fan and was in a position to help out then I'd love to help out. I gave to the Jason Molina fund which was setup for similar reasons. There was no reward as per the normal fundit way but that didn't matter. I was only going to give if I was a fan, and because I was a fan I was happy to do so.

i can hands down say that my entire studio cost less than 20 grand and i'd do their album for whatever is in the fundit pot right now.

I actually think thats ok. If I was a big fan and was in a position to help out then I'd love to help out. I gave to the Jason Molina fund which was setup for similar reasons. There was no reward as per the normal fundit way but that didn't matter. I was only going to give if I was a fan, and because I was a fan I was happy to do so.
Can I do one for the teeth I need fixed ? I spent the money earmarked for that on recording an album instead. Of course other members of the band never paid their share of the recording costs and instead went to Primavera, so the bottom line is my teeth are still fucked. Do I have a case ?

Can I do one for the teeth I need fixed ? I spent the money earmarked for that on recording an album instead. Of course other members of the band never paid their share of the recording costs and instead went to Primavera, so the bottom line is my teeth are still fucked. Do I have a case ?

more importantly, do you have fans?

as in 'thats cheap'? or 'thats dear'?

I would have no clue what one of those would cost but I'd guess about 10 times more in america than if one had it here.
well, that's my point. no idea what it would cost because i assumed it was a routine surgery performed on a daily basis. $25,000 seems a lot.

Again, if you think you'll raise the cash from your fans then great, go for it. What I don't like is it becoming option A for people looking to make a record, which is where I think we're headed. How soon before we get 3rd party companies set up to manage your fund it campaign? (note to self: great f*ckin' idea)

From a purely bloody minded point of view, if you choose to do something as a *profession* and wish to sustain yourself at it, then you have to acquiese to what your chosen market demands of you.

And, to play devils avocado, I hate describing making music as a hobby (when for most here I imagine it's more of a compulsion), but in black and white terms, if it's not your job then its a hobby. Are there any other hobbies that people expect others to fund?

Fuck this shit.Make the fucking records yerself.

Ya wanna be making records in 2013 without a deal?
And lets face it,no ones getting fucking signed anymore.

No probbos.Learn to do it yerself.Its all on the internet for free.

10000 hours and you'll be mixing decent.

If ya think of it this way..you probably spent 4 times that learning your instrument.

Thats assuming you play like a boss,natch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back