Tinnitus (1 Viewer)

The RNID says more should wear ear plugs to protect their hearing, without spoiling their appreciation of music.
However, it says there is a reluctance to wear them because they look unappealing.
It is launching a competition to encourage design students to come up with more fashionable alternatives.

fashionable earplugs? hmm...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7278781.stm

..anyhoo ordered some proper earplugs that were posted here.
safety is cool!

I got the fancies made by Frank Cass in Kimmage, they're amazing, like what someone else said, just like turning the volume down, you can still hear everything fine. I think I enjoy gigs more now, it's easier to hear whats going on!

Ears have been ringing since around july/august I blame it on starting gigging/practicing loads in 4 bands around that time I keep denying that its tinnitus and wear foam earplugs all the time since then but I'm sick of buying em every week and need to take more serious action.

Moose where did you get that acupuncture and Donal where did you get them ear plugs! cheers.

Re: Tinnitus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackle
Noticed my ears were a bit more fucked recently. Constant ringing and not being able to hear things very well etc etc. So I went and got a hearing test and was told that my hearing loss is really substantial and that I should give up going to gigs and playing in bands all together if I wanna preserve it at all. Don't think I'll be going that far though. I asked about earplugs also to see if they actually make a difference and apparently they don't really because a lot of the sound enters through the rest of your head. Probably gonna buy some earplugs soon though. Does it muffle the sound much though? Wore some foam ones at gigs before and the sound was just awful though I'd say they arent designed for the job to well really. Willing to spend a good bit of money on a new set!

I don't know who told you this but they were talking bollocks!
Ear plugs certainly do work, and depending on the severity of your tinnitus it can improve greatly if you stay away from loud noises(or wear earplugs while around them) and take care of your ears.

Depending on what type you get they need not muffle sound at all.
When I put mine in it's just like turning the volume down a few notches.

It makes a huge difference! if ya really want a good sound quality, without loosing loads of the treble/high end, get yourself some moulded earplugs with valves. Depending on how much you spend ya can basicially turn the volume down 10-20 dB easy, kinda like a reverse hearing aid. but if ya spend about 100 euro ya can get a fixed 12-15 dB reduction, which should help at any gig and only hangin around in front of the PA at a Melvins gig for a week straight or living in the engine of a 747 would damage your hearing.

Went to the doctor recently cause of the ringing in my right ear. He suggested I go for an M.R.I on my brain, just in case!

Shocked Face Emoticon!!

I was like, just in case what?! Apparently, there might be a brain tumour rubbing up against my inner ear, but the chances are very slim.The MRI will just rule it out. Anybody else advised similarly?

He also said that the earphone/ I-Pod generation (or most people under the age of 40) have destroyed their hearing, and it's going to hit home in about 10 years time. I stoped using my Zen about 5 weeks ago and the ringing has eased off considerably. Now I'm going mad listening to real life on the bus to work.

Went to the doctor recently cause of the ringing in my right ear. He suggested I go for an M.R.I on my brain, just in case!

Shocked Face Emoticon!!

I was like, just in case what?! Apparently, there might be a brain tumour rubbing up against my inner ear, but the chances are very slim.The MRI will just rule it out. Anybody else advised similarly?

He also said that the earphone/ I-Pod generation (or most people under the age of 40) have destroyed their hearing, and it's going to hit home in about 10 years time. I stoped using my Zen about 5 weeks ago and the ringing has eased off considerably. Now I'm going mad listening to real life on the bus to work.

I have tinnitus. my doctor ruled out an mri due because he didn't think it was worth it. he did send me to a consultant and then the consultant sent me to a audiologist who found that the places where my hearing is bad is the same sound levels that it is for tinnitus so that's how tinnitus was diagnosed for me.
i've just got use toi the ringing

i've never really used ipod's or walkman (very occasional walkman use. i've never had an mp3 player)and i've only experience in one music instrument (tin whistle :D). also my mother's radio really overshadows mine at home so it's a mystery

my gig going has increased three fold since being diagnosed with tinnitus :D

I had tinnitus years ago in my right ear after a pa speaker blew up beside my head while I was gigging in Bruxelles basement.Perforated the eradrum n all.
Now-not a bother on it.BUT..ever since I got my Mashall stack a couple of months ago I've been noticing some aural tomfoolery going on in my lugs.
Must watch that.Might check out them fancy earplugs.

Ha! Yeah, just about I is John ;

Going for the MRI next Tuesday. The gas thing is, the tinnitus has almost completely disappeared. Apparantly, MRIs are really noisy, so it'll probably be back in full force on Wednesday.

I'm really missing music-on-the-go though. I've also noticed that, for some reason I pick up lyrics much easier when I listen to a song on earphones.

"Every sound hurts my ears," Jason DiEmilio wrote just before washing down dozens of hoarded pills with beer in the bathtub of his Harlem apartment in October 2006. "The sound of flipping this page is too loud for me. It sends pain through my ears and brain."

DiEmilio, 36 when he took his life, was the victim of a rare acoustic trauma called hyperacusis, which flip-flops the usual effects of excessive noise by grossly intensifying the loudness of sound rather than causing hearing loss. Researchers who have dedicated their lives to studying the vast and unique intricacies of the ear have no idea what causes this or how to relieve it. DiEmilio is not the first — or the last — to suffer this bizarre malady, but given his symptoms, the way they materialized, and the way he coped with them and the way he didn't, he may as well have been patient zero.

For DiEmilio, this entailed withstanding a roasted-alive kind of torture, overcome by a gradual accretion of toxic noise that submerged him for years in intractable pain so severe and debilitating that death was preferable. The irony was not lost on him — between 1996 and 2001, he released four atonal, ambient drone-rock albums and a handful of singles and EPs under the name Azusa Plane. He reveled in abrasive, confrontational cacophony.

"Oh my gosh, it's so loud, just banging, and Jason would put his head inside the drum during the act," says DiEmilio's aunt, Carol Roosevelt, who, along with his grandparents, reared him in suburban Philadelphia.
"It sounded like an airplane landing," says his friend Michael Chaiken.

After one show, DiEmilio started complaining he couldn't hear properly. His ears rang, but the ringing always went away, until one day it didn't. He complained of an unpleasant fullness, a pressure in his ears. He later joined a more traditional rock band, Mazarin, and while playing with them during a European tour in early 2002, he felt something happen inside his ear — something pulled, or snapped, or broke. Within two years, DiEmilio was wearing earplugs to buffer the pain, which he described as knives or screwdrivers stabbing his ears. Soon, it was difficult to listen to music at all.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/joycecohen/noise-kills-when-everyday-sound-becomes-torture

Timing. I'm just back from my second ear syringing in 3 months. Ears blocked again..... drives me MENTAL. Turns out it wasn't wax build up that was the problem but a knock on effect of some sorrriyssisisiss that I have in my general ear area, ears blocked with dry skin ewwwwwww.
Dr: "this is going to bother you for the rest of your life"
Thanks doc :-(

@Anthony; :(

That fucking sucks.

And that story @pete; posted is horrendous.

Make a good song though.

Although!I think I might head round for a swim and a sauna!

Timing. I'm just back from my second ear syringing in 3 months. Ears blocked again..... drives me MENTAL. Turns out it wasn't wax build up that was the problem but a knock on effect of some sorrriyssisisiss that I have in my general ear area, ears blocked with dry skin ewwwwwww.
Dr: "this is going to bother you for the rest of your life"
Thanks doc :-(

I have the same thing. I feel your annoyance.

I thought I had problems, but nothing compared to my sister. In fact, I don't have problems at all in fairness. She's going for an operation in England next week for some deteriorating hearing condition. She send me a link to a cool site, which shows how bad relatively her condition is. She has "moderate hearing loss", which doesn't sound so bad, but I was amazed at the difference.

You can listen to the demos of normal/ minor loss/ moderate loss, take a hearing test etc.

http://www.phonak.com/uk/b2c/en/hearing/understanding_hearingloss/how_hearing_loss_sounds.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back