What was the name of that UK band that bombed on some Channel 4 promo? (1 Viewer)

avernus

It was a few years back.. the singer said something utterly ridiculous in an attempt to describe their music and it went viral..
and they may have even been dropped by their label due to the fallout.

The first thing I thought of was this...

but that's because I'm old. The world viral wasn't even invented back then

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It was a few years back.. the singer said something utterly ridiculous in an attempt to describe their music and it went viral..

towers of london?

When I say a few years back, I of course mean about 5. They were some new "hype" band and it all went horribly wrong. There may have been some reference to David Bowie / Ziggy Stardust in the ludicrous description the singer made. I'm really lacking in crucial detail, I know.. still, if I recall, it was seriously hilarious.

I don't know but this is the same fate that befell Crispin St. Peters

Under manager David Nicolson's tutelage the shy star was momentarily transformed into arrogance incarnate and astonished the conservative music press of the period by his suggestion that he had written 80 songs of better quality than those of The Beatles. Other stars were also waved aside as St. Peters announced that he was better than Elvis Presley: "I'm going to make Presley look like the Statue of Liberty . . . I am sexier than Dave Berry and more exciting than Tom Jones . . . and the Beatles are past it".

Outraged readers denounced him in letters and columns. No subsequent release would ever match the success of "The Pied Piper," although its success helped boost "You Were on My Mind" into the US Top 40. Thereafter St. Peters was remembered more for his idle boasts than his music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crispian_St._Peters

I don't know but this is the same fate that befell Crispin St. Peters

Under manager David Nicolson's tutelage the shy star was momentarily transformed into arrogance incarnate and astonished the conservative music press of the period by his suggestion that he had written 80 songs of better quality than those of The Beatles. Other stars were also waved aside as St. Peters announced that he was better than Elvis Presley: "I'm going to make Presley look like the Statue of Liberty . . . I am sexier than Dave Berry and more exciting than Tom Jones . . . and the Beatles are past it".

Outraged readers denounced him in letters and columns. No subsequent release would ever match the success of "The Pied Piper," although its success helped boost "You Were on My Mind" into the US Top 40. Thereafter St. Peters was remembered more for his idle boasts than his music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crispian_St._Peters

Good story. If you're gonna be that arrogant, you really gotta back it up - like Muhammad Ali or some shit.
These days it doesn't take much to become an international pariah - all you gotta do is say something dumb or pull a cunty face at the wrong time and a million people want you dead.

"I'm going to make Presley look like the Statue of Liberty . . . I am sexier than Dave Berry and more exciting than Tom Jones . . . and the Beatles are past it". this is going on my CV.

When I say a few years back, I of course mean about 5. They were some new "hype" band and it all went horribly wrong. There may have been some reference to David Bowie / Ziggy Stardust in the ludicrous description the singer made. I'm really lacking in crucial detail, I know.. still, if I recall, it was seriously hilarious.

I know exactly the clip you're talking about. It was horrendous. But I can't remember the name of the band. And now I'm really annoyed, because it was absolutely brilliant.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

here's where i found it by the way

The frontman of Raygun has published an "apology" after a recent interview with the band became a viral internet phenomenon.

The clip from Channel 4's 4Play was hosted on YouTube with the title "Lack Of Awareness" and was linked to and mocked in a number of media outlets, including The Guardian and NME.

On the interview, singer Ray Gun - real name Tobias Alexander Ratcliffe - said: "We'll come to work in fancy dress or have mojitos at 11am. What the hell, man, you know, its like, fun!"

The clip was later taken down after a request from record company Sony BMG, though other versions of the interview remain available on the site.

In a new statement on the band's MySpace page, Ratcliffe said: "I ask that they think not of the singer in a band nobody has ever heard of saying some slightly ridiculous things about his music, but of the way those shameful events brought people together.

"Admittedly people were brought together mainly on message boards as they posted comments such as 'LOL WHAT A D**KWAD' but that is not really the point."

It has been suggested by readers of The Guardian's website that the band purposely staged the interview with the intention of it becoming a viral internet hit.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.ie/music/news/a169979/raygun-apologise-for-video-interview.html#ixzz2LfCYcbnT

GabrielPPeterGabriel2.jpg

Holy fuck.

I just cringed so hard my shoelaces came undone

Soon as I hear someone say Bowie Berlin Period I lose the will to live..tru story bro

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back