Nolan Amps (1 Viewer)

Anyone know anything about these? Someone on an American messageboard is going on about them. Anything to do with Martin Nolan I wonder?

heads.jpg

Hello, the guitarist in my band brought this to my attention. I am fortunate enough to have two of these amps - the black one in the picture which is very close to Hywatt in appearance. I got the first of the pair about 5 years ago from a local guitar shop - immensely powerful, and frankly far too much for the type of gig I was undertaking. I located a Guy in Middlesex, a bit of an amp genius, who took it in. There is no master volume on these, so one was added, which made the amp really usable. He actually contacted someone from the old Nolan factory in the Tottenham Court Road, who now resides in Spain, and electrical diagrams were sent over. They were produced in London I believe in the late 60's, early 70's and the general plan of action was to take the best ideas off the competitor amps, and incorporate within theirs. Both my amps seemed to have been modeled on the Fender amp of the time - a bit bassman in terms of layout etc.

I changed from guitar to bass, and had the head addapted accordingly, and I am so pleased with the results. Powerful, deep, valve driven Old Skool bass sound. I had wanted to locate a second amp as a back up, and was fortunate enough to be contacted by a chap in Oxford who had one in his cuboard for years with a fuse blowing fault. The deal was done, and this was packed off to my amp man, master volume fitted and set for bass application, so am lucky enough to have a pair of them looking exactly the same.

My rig is the Nolan Head (100w) into Marshall 4x12 bass cab and Harke 4x12 bass cab. My axes of choice are a Tokia copy of the Ricky 4001 and an Italia bass guitar. I play in a three piece rock covers band, so need and get a good broad bottom end, and these amps can growl!!!. I use no effects, and am able when required to get a fantastic distortion through them as well especially if using the Italia Bass guitar.

They are very rare, did not get good press at the time the Nolan company existed as they were considered very 2nd rate to the established manufacturers. I have used and enjoyed other bass heads, but would I change these - no!

Hope that was all of interest to you, and I am always keen to learn a little more about an old British Company competing with the big boys of the time.

Cheers

A friend of mine just dropped this over to me, good bit of restoration involved but gonna be a beauty once it's done

482427_10151242483926741_646677176_n.jpg

60707_10151242483946741_1373109097_n.jpg

539862_10151242483846741_179887767_n.jpg

72636_10151242423291741_235833428_n.jpg

11422_10151242483811741_1172351396_n.jpg

559666_10151242423146741_441753653_n.jpg

Yeah my two favourite things about it are the Mullard ECC83s and those knobs.

might do. ill have a look in the parents house next chance i get

Does that mean you might have lost a bunch of super cool 70s knobs? Ya mad yoke ya. :p

Might finally be time to put that cab I got off you into action for this lad.

savage things altogether!

My ever growing collection of oddball 70s brands, Sound City, Nolan and Peavey so far. What else do I need? Obvious answer is some solid state Sunn action but will be keeping my eye out for other stuff too. Not that I have any money to be buying anything.

Does that mean you might have lost a bunch of super cool 70s knobs? Ya mad yoke ya. :p

Might finally be time to put that cab I got off you into action for this lad.

My ever growing collection of oddball 70s brands, Sound City, Nolan and Peavey so far. What else do I need? Obvious answer is some solid state Sunn action but will be keeping my eye out for other stuff too. Not that I have any money to be buying anything.

Nah I put them somewhere for safe keeping but fucked if I know where.
I'm like a fucking gobshite squirrel

Nah I put them somewhere for safe keeping but fucked if I know where.
I'm like a fucking gobshite squirrel

sort that out fast.

you dont want to end up like that time where i knew exactly where the bits for my fender musicmaster were in my folks place, but they just threw them away anyways just because one mans junk is another mans treasure.

sort that out fast.

you dont want to end up like that time where i knew exactly where the bits for my fender musicmaster were in my folks place, but they just threw them away anyways just because one mans junk is another mans treasure.

Yeah I lost a box of my disassembled squire strat bits that way.
Mist ask me da where me knobs are, aherm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back