Estonian children in public school to learn coding from the start of primary school.. (1 Viewer)

Re: Estonian children in public school to learn coding from the start of primary scho

This was my experience anyway, although my french was way better than my irish after leaving cert and i spent less than half the number of years learning french. I reckon there is (or was ) something more chronically wrong with irish teaching than other languages

I think it's a generational degradation where you have teachers who should know Irish but don't really teaching kids and some of them becoming teachers and so on. If they were serious about Irish being a primary language you'd have an hour or more a day in primary school through the medium of Irish. If you did that right by the time kids entered secondary they'd be fluent. Gaelscoileanna are becoming increasingly popular as people realise it's when their kids are young that they can more easily learn Irish to a standard where if they so choose they can use it every day.

Re: Estonian children in public school to learn coding from the start of primary scho

I've never been fully fluent, got a B2 in honours leaving. After two stints in the Gaeltacht I was conversational anyway. It kinda went for years and now sorta coming back, my confidence and I'm practicing and learning more. Nowhere near fluency yet but definitely could have a conversation if topic isn't too mind bending.

Not at all. It's a con on the part of the publishers that has been tolerated for too long imho. There used to be a healthy secondhand trade that our stores and others facilitated and of course people could swap and sell them amongst families, friends etc. The Department Of Education has made noises about how costs have to come down but say telling the publishers to put a moratorium on updated editions of textbooks for a while would be a big help for parents.

Fundamentally does the sylabus for the subject remain the same between year x's edition and year x+1's and so the content mostly remains and it's all cosmetic stuff that get's changed, like something that was on page 67 one year is not on page 72, or the problems that appear in maths books are changed slightly?

you can follow miriam all you like, she wont go out with you. she told me.

I think the way Irish is taught in schools kind of focuses on things that don't gear you towards speaking it. Like, French is all about learning how to speak and write it. Irish has other stuff, like poetry, literature history of the language etc. Or at least it did when I was in school. Any idea how it's taught now?

I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand learning a language from all its cultural angles is great. But maybe that's always been too aspirational, and not worth a shite if you can't speak it. But then....why would you need to? I still think Irish being taught in schools is a good thing though.

Anna's favourite word in Irish: tósta

I think you're meant to be good enough at it after primary school to move on to higher stuff like analyzing poems and stuff through Irish. The poems and stories were all rubbish a far as I recall.

not at all!

Grian an Mheithimh in úllghort,
Is siosarnach i síoda an tráthnóna,
Beach mhallaithe ag portaireacht
Mar scréadstracadh ar an nóinbhrat

First Irish-speaking virus holds bloke's computer to ransom

Crooks have created what's reckoned to be the first computer virus featuring the Irish language.

The malware – dubbed Gaeilge – is a strain of ransomware that locks up an infected computer and attempts to extort €100 from the user for an unlock code. The demand for cash reportedly appeared in poorly written Gaelic, and the software nastie was spotted on a computer in County Donegal.

not worth a shite if you can't speak it. But then....why would you need to? I still think Irish being taught in schools is a good thing though.

i've a mate who teaches english abroad (ah, shir don't we all!!) and he's won a loads of awards for doing it. he swears blind that getting people talking first is the best way to teach any language. I suppose parents would know that too though as infants tend to shy away from written work.

Fundamentally does the sylabus for the subject remain the same between year x's edition and year x+1's and so the content mostly remains and it's all cosmetic stuff that get's changed, like something that was on page 67 one year is not on page 72, or the problems that appear in maths books are changed slightly?

The syllabus does change from time to time, recently the Project Maths addition to maths being the most significant one. But yeah updated textbooks rarely include anything new the old textbook didn't have. Some will be totally rewritten while covering the same ground but most they just change a few illustrations, the colour scheme of the cover and a few pages inside and then slap 2nd Edition on it.

About 10 years ago the English course for the LC was changed so that there were different poets each year, in a cycle, so each year there's a brand new English poetry book. Poetry, of all things, should be something that can be remain the same for a decade or more at a time. Soundings was last studied in 1999, having been published in the late '60s. It was scarcely out of date by that stage and remains a compelling collection still, hence its revival as a christmas stocking filler a few years back.

That's just a dick move then

Really it is. Insofar as science and our understanding of the universe is changing, it's moving at a glacial pace versus the fundamentals that are on the syllabus and although I've no doubt there are a few erroneous facets in the curriculum, overall as a primer in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, the syllabus doesn't need to change that much over the years.

Like they overhauled the History syllabus a few years ago, for the better. When I did Leaving in '99, it was 1860s-1960s. Now they include the Troubles, and late 20th century history, post-colonialism etc. The course is more relevant and engaging. Of course they needed new textbooks then but they shouldn't be able to pretend anything much will have changed vis-a-vis the information the students need access to in order to learn about history.

If we're talking about things that should change I also think the balance between different subjects in the LC is laughable. Stuff like Art and Music are piss easy to get a high set of points in. The points system really doesn't reflect the huge differences in how much work you need to put in, in order to get a good grade.

The junior cycle is being completely overhauled as of today.

They're bringing in ongoing assessment as 40% of the overall certificate and there are also going to be optional "short courses" some of which that teachers will be allowed to design themselves. Some include programming and coding (as well as Chinese, and "artistic performance"). Yowza!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1004/breaking3.html

I've no doubt there are a few erroneous facets in the curriculum

38_artist.jpg

The junior cycle is being completely overhauled as of today.

They're bringing in ongoing assessment as 40% of the overall certificate and there are also going to be optional "short courses" some of which that teachers will be allowed to design themselves. Some include programming and coding (as well as Chinese, and "artistic performance"). Yowza!
"I got an A in Interpretive Dance and a B in Mime."

I don't think I would have liked 40% continuous assessment in school. Instead of the hours spent day dreaming and doing more important things as a young fella they would now have you working on projects and assignments with the threat of it all counting towards your final mark, like a good little jobsworth.

I always loathed continuous assessment, it doesn't suit the lazy procrastinator.

Most computer skills education in Irish primary/secondary consists of learning how to use Microsoft Office. That's fucked.
If kids left secondary school with a basic handle on how to properly format a technical document in Word or write VBA macros in Excel then it would be time well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back