Estonian children in public school to learn coding from the start of primary school.. (1 Viewer)

Re: Estonian children in public school to learn coding from the start of primary scho

bollocks to that. kids should go to school to get an education, not job training.

Re: Estonian children in public school to learn coding from the start of primary scho

Well i believe is should be in secondary school at least as a choice subject or something. If you have technical drawing and shit as a subject why not basic computer programming or computing as a whole in there?

bollocks to that. kids should go to school to get an education, not job training.

Totally disagree - as far as I'm concerned it's not job training, it's now becoming equivalent to literacy and numeracy.

my kid started in junior infants last thursday. i asked what she did in school on monday - "lots of art and computers"

deadly.

my kid started in junior infants last thursday. i asked what she did in school on monday - "lots of art and computers"

deadly.

you might as well home school her on thumped if thats all they are teaching her.

The mother of a fiend of mine was principal of a small school in rural Donegal. She would get her arty friends to come in and teach the kids screen printing , how to play different instruments etc. One of the kids came to the school one morning saying her Dad had said "jesus they'll be teaching them how to cut turf next"

Totally disagree - as far as I'm concerned it's not job training, it's now becoming equivalent to literacy and numeracy.
i don't doubt coding is more important than it ever was. but it is a skill required for a job; literacy and numeracy are skills required for life.
as mentioned above; secondary school, fine.
but teaching a child to code when they are still being taught basic reading skills is absurd.

Why is it absurd? It's not as if they'll be schooling kids in OOP when they're 4. This Estonian scheme starts at 7 or 8 years and the idea behind it is to encourage creative use of technology as a toolset. I wish I'd had something similar when I was in primary school.

i'm *extremely* wary about giving private IT companies any say or involvement about what is taught to kids in school. especially since (well, taking ireland as an example) they probably would be able to bring enough cash to the table that schools would be very hard pushed to resist the influence.

i have a seven year old niece. she's being taught basic maths and reading; they generally concentrate on the fundamentals at that age. i just don't see computer architecture or language as a fundamental.

i'm the same with suggestions that driving should be taught in school; the argument being that it's a skill everyone will need. which i have a problem with for two reasons: 1) everyone does not need to drive, and this attitude just helps normalise driving as the primary form of transport, and 2) other skills, e.g. cooking, which everyone should be able to do, is not taught in schools.

do driving lessons in school change that behaviour?

Cooking is taught in schools. I've a 16 year old niece who can make an amazing veggie curry as proof.

i would imagine ( / hope) for 7 & 8 year olds you're talking the modern day equivalent of teaching them LOGO, basic logic, flowcharts and the like. no harm.

one thing that i was bemused by is that they now use sudoku to teach kids maths.
sudoku has nothing to do with maths.

Only in the sense that it works off logic. You could replace the numbers with different colour pieces of dogshit and it's make no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back