Centra's Children's Allowance Day deals (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 4
To be honest I don't see what the surprise is here. When we were kids (some of us anyway) and if it wasn't either "christmas present" time of year or "back to school" time or birthday or whatever so probably at most twice a year anyway, when the childrens allowance came in, all the house wives on the road got to leave the kids with their Das (Das and Mas used to live together in the same house as a married couple back then) and go for a pint together. The vast, and by vast I mean the absolute vast majority of kids wanted for nothing, whereas the house wives perhaps wanted for one or two nights off in a year. if this came at the expense of the state then fair enough I say. It did more to prevent nervous breakdowns than prozac.

Gender politics aren't my strong suit to be fair so I'll let you make of that what you will.

Anyway we could sort out a lot of childrens issues in this country by pointing out to parents that an X box is not essential to a childs development.

That 91% of kids are living with parents who don't have an alcohol problem sounds like a massive fucking win to me.

G'wan Ireland

I have a kid AND an alcohol problem but my kid doesn't live with me, so it's grand

That's my point. I suspect a lot lower than 91% of kids are living with a parent who don't have an alcohol problem.

That's my point. I suspect a lot lower than 91% of kids are living with a parent who don't have an alcohol problem.
I doubt it. according to this there are
1,107,034 children in Ireland so that's about 99,633 or so children living with acoholic parents that seems incredibly high no ?

20% of the children surveyed had been drunk at least once in the preceding 30 days though.

it's all in here.

http://www.dcya.gov.ie/documents/publications/State_of_the_Nations_Children_2010.pdf

Apparently boys get pissed more than girls and poor kids drink as much as rich ones. Whoda thunk it ?

Digging into this 9% of all Irish people are apparently alcoholics so I'm guessing that the number hasn't been studied correctly and the minister or whoever said 9% just extrapolated that from the overall percentage of alcoholics,

Alcohol Ireland put the figure between 60 and 100 thousand. which is in the range of 9%. anyway this is all depressing as fuck to think about. Like I tried to say earlier the only thing which has any affect on an acoholic drinking is their will to drink. The only thing that has any affect on them stopping is

1. the wish to stop

2. access to support in this endevour

And all the legislation in the world won't change that.

Unless said legislation is directly related to providing the aforementioned support.

I'm off to bed.

I take umbrage at the term "Mickey Money".As a man I find it offensive

I think a more appropriate term would be "Gee Rations"

he's not here to defend himself. don't ruin it for me.

I am :).

The flyer was put in with my shopping. I found it objectionable and put a picture of it on Twitter. The next day half the media in Ireland were in contact with me. Why did I find it objectionable?

As a father who's child receives the benefit I found it an extremely cynical piece of advertising regardless of how anyone spends the payment. As someone with an intimate knowledge of alcoholism I found it offensive to see an advertisement for bulk extremely cheap alcohol on a flyer advertising children's allowance day deals. The government doesn't hand out envelopes with 'micky money' printed on the side of them. Some people seem hell bent on using that term which insidiously denigrates the worth of a welfare payment at least meant for all of our children.

I have found it frustrating trying to explain myself to people who seem to continue to conflate my criticism of cynical and inappropriate advertising as somehow being equal to a broadside on how people spend the payment.

Besides most of the speculation I've seen regarding how people spend the payment seems to be cynical and idle speculation of the taxi driver anecdote type along the lines of 'best night of the month to get the ride'.

Sorry, late to the party here but I wish to register my disgust at this also.

Its blatant discrimination against those who don't receive children's allowance. I'd like to avail of those deals but fucking can't cos fucking Centra saying I need to have a kid.

Its borderline racist is what it is.

Pricks

Sorry, late to the party here but I wish to register my disgust at this also.

Its blatant discrimination against those who don't receive children's allowance. I'd like to avail of those deals but fucking can't cos fucking Centra saying I need to have a kid.

Its borderline racist is what it is.

Pricks

You can rent a kid in Sherrif Street to avail of the offer.

This from a mate

" they used to have mickey madness nite in the blacker on children's allowance day....pernod n black would be on special 'leg openers' or something i believe they were called:)"

In fairness rent allowance day used to be pizza day in my flat so...that probably makes me worse than a thousand unmarried Hitlers

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back