Good man Stephen Ireland... (4 Viewers)

He seems to have copped on and matured but I would not take him to the euros. Take him back in for the World Cup qualifiers.

To be fair, he did say a few weeks ago that he's not looking to go to the Euros, that the players who got us there obviously deserve to go. Which was nice of him.

He's probably made a few too many dodgy comments in the past though. I think he called Trap arrogant after their meeting. Which probably didn't go down too well. Can't see him playing for us again.

He would be a malign influence in the squad, not to mention the fact that he just doesn't deserve it.

He would be a malign influence in the squad, not to mention the fact that he just doesn't deserve it.

Anyone that can score goals or play well enough deserves it.
If he makes the the team better the squad will come round.

It's not gonna happen though. Can't see it.

It's a little more complicated than that. There are others like Gibson who are arguably now playing better and can also score goals, so maybe they deserve it more?
Secondly, having the skills to stop the other team scoring is also part of the job decription. It's no good scoring and then swanning around like a sensitive Brazilian while Croatia score three, is it?
Thirdly, you don;y score on your own - you need players who want to play with you to give you the ball. Fuck all of that squad will give Stephen Ireland any love, I guarantee you. Maybe for the WC qualifiers, but not at the expense of say Gibson or McCarthy.

1 goal in the past 2 seasons is not a return one expects from someone who scores goals. I've no issue with him coming back into the side if his form warranted it but it doesn't and there's plenty of players nowhere near the squad who've been in better form than him.

I really don't think anyone in the squad would really give a fuck. I mean, really. Would they? He plays with Dunne and Ciaran Clarke. Other than Stephen Hunt, who has his own set of loveable foibles, has anyone ever come out and called him a cunt? If he's playing well the players would want him in, because they would want to win games of football and thusly enhance their reputations.

since the original self imposed exile, the squad has changed. How many new lads have come in who never played with him and wouldn't really have a problem with him? Players who don't get on have historically put their differences aside for, ahem, "the greater good." and all the lifestyle shit...i hardly think he's alone in that.

Ultimately the cosseted millionaires who occasionally run around in the name of IRELAND wouldn't give a shit. All that's important is whether or not he's playing well enough, and with trap in charge, that doesn't even really matter. I think it's clear that the squad needs a post 2012 overhaul, new blood is waiting there, and yet, we've qualified for a tournament for the first time in 3,000 years. so if it ain't broke.....

Trap would have to change his tactics to fit in Ireland. But if he was playing really well, you'd have him in ahead of either whelan or andrews any day. The crucial thing is, he isn't really playing particularly well and Villa are awful.

The crucial thing is, he isn't really playing particularly well and Villa are awful.

Well there's that too of course! As usual No.7 has overstated the case for young Stevie, claiming he's playing well when he's only got into the relegation struggling Villa team as a regularvery recently, and doesn't look any great shakes at all when I've seen him.
But I do think he'd be unwelcome in the Euro squad. Players may not have slammed him in the papers but that can only be a credit to them that they don't stoop to his level. They all know what he's been at. Him coming in would mean displacing someone else who has been loyal to the squad, and that would not go down well. Say what you like about cosseted millionaires, but I do think there's a collective spirit in the Irish set up and Stephen Ireland would need to mend some bridges post Euros to get past that.
He's still an unmerciful arsehole as well, so fuck him. He thinks the FAI have to get in touch with him. Why would they need to do that?

well, i should have said it would all be post 2012. There's no chance he would go because he's not setting the world alight with his skillz and trap is loyal to the boys that got there. However, if James Mack-Lane were to continue his hot streak and get into the team, wouldn't that be the same thing? And i don't know if seamus Coleman or James McCarthy think that the spirit is only fab. They want on the pitch, and they don't give a fuck. I'm sure McCarthy is looking at Whelandrews thinking he's much better than them. As for Simon Cocks, i don't recall squad furore over this Brit taking away Andy Keogh's loveable, useless presence.

Some tit came out a few months ago giving out about fly by nights, but that's when Anton Ferdy and Germane Pennant were making daft noises. No, we are not a shortcut to adding a zero onto your wages, you pricks. But seriously, who did Jon Walters elbow out of the way? And will Stephen Ku Hunt have to shuffle out of the way for James "Alistair" McClean. The Cleaner is twice his size, and his hair doesn't look like it's falling out. In fact, this is how the squads should be decided from now on: Wrestlemania style.

Anyway, i really don't think they'd be like a bunch of watercooler bitches if he did come back. There might be some grumbling for the papers, if that's what the flavour is, but ultimately it would be one training session and a load of "he's up for it, the things he can do with a fishtank, he's so mature" platitudes. It always is.

if Ireland were to come back, i reckon he'd play off the front one. Looks to me like it would be Doyler who got shoved aside. Speaking of form....

well, i should have said it would all be post 2012. There's no chance he would go because he's not setting the world alight with his skillz and trap is loyal to the boys that got there. However, if James Mack-Lane were to continue his hot streak and get into the team, wouldn't that be the same thing? And i don't know if seamus Coleman or James McCarthy think that the spirit is only fab. They want on the pitch, and they don't give a fuck. I'm sure McCarthy is looking at Whelandrews thinking he's much better than them. As for Simon Cocks, i don't recall squad furore over this Brit taking away Andy Keogh's loveable, useless presence.

You're mixing things up now. I'm talking about squad places (not McCarthy vs the starting two - of course he has to be pushing to get on the pitch and that's what they'd expect. Also nothing wrong with Cox and Walters getting a call up and taking it as they did. Who'd begrudge them that? It's Ireland's 'fuck ye, I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire, and I'll never be back and you can quote me on that' antics that single him out.
Anyway, yes, I was talking about the Euros to start.
Post Euros we should take him to Kazahstan to sit on the fucking bench and fetch water during the training, and see how he fares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back