• Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 0

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
Anyone tried this?I have an old machine I wanna get a bit more use out of...considering trying linux too but I wanna use it for recording too..linux isnt great for that.Xp micro seems alright..would like to be able surf the net too and play angry birds...apparentally it runs on 50 megs ram and very low cpu..which would be ideal on this pentium d dual core 2 gigs ram I have.

Its fucking awesome.Reaper is running like its a octo core monster..gonna use this for "on Location" recording in the kitchen etc.and just general messing about

None that I've noticed Pissy.I wasnt expecting the firewall to be intact but it is.Stable as anything is my first impression.theres a bit of fiddling about to do but sure thats to be expected.

Edit..I just booted it there,seems I might have installed an incorrect lan driver.It seems to be sorting itself out though.edit edit..yeah just had to pop in the boot cd I made and it rolled back the dodgy driver.sweet.

ahh I found the sorce of my woes...theres a tv card in this box I wasnt sure what was going on..couldnt find the driver...quick fix..tv card goes in the bin!

I give this a resounding two thumbs.I havent gone online with it yet as I dont have a wireless card.But I could,no problem.Its given this old shitbox a new lease of life.If I get Super Meatboy going on it I'll be in clover.No reason it shouldnt.

So an update about this frankly deadly lil OS.I had an old creative Audigy pci soundcard in the drawer..so I popped that into the box and installed the drivers.Get this..using the cards ASIO driver I have TWELVE tracks going with compressor on at 2ms latency..WITHOUT A GLITCH.Thats better than me DAW.

I'm seriously considering ditching win 7 ultimate and installing it on my DAW.Does anyone know if I can do a dual boot job,so I can test it out?Sure I'll ask google

if you're doing multiple windows boot stuff, just remember to install the oldest OS first & to install them on different partitions / drives (duhh)

If you're sticking ubuntu or whatever into the mix too then that'll have to go on last as Windows won't give a shit about any Linux installation already on the disk & will overwrite the bootloader and shit.

Right..well I'm not too clear..I cant put Micro XP on first cos Win 7 is already on there.I need to create another partition so?And instruct the bios to boot off that??

Right.Need to investigate this.This could be huge.

Edit..I could always just swap the hardrives no?They're both SATA??

Edit..sure I'll just replicate bith scenarios on each and see which one claps out first!

So an update about this frankly deadly lil OS.I had an old creative Audigy pci soundcard in the drawer..so I popped that into the box and installed the drivers.Get this..using the cards ASIO driver I have TWELVE tracks going with compressor on at 2ms latency..WITHOUT A GLITCH.Thats better than me DAW.

I'm seriously considering ditching win 7 ultimate and installing it on my DAW.Does anyone know if I can do a dual boot job,so I can test it out?Sure I'll ask google
50 and she gos berserk.48 grand though..the daw is still trucking at 90...its very interesting though.It would be completeley feasible to record a record on the old machine under micro xp if you took your time and were smart about it.

I'm still intrigued by what performance I'd get outta Micro on the daw though.

Edit edit..the cpu on the old thing is hot enough to fry an egg on.Measures will need to be taken.

Working like a charm here..although I'm giving this machine to someone so I'm gonna repace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back