THUMPED BUBBLEGUM POP SONG CHALLENGE (1 Viewer)

Read the OP, or otherwise post some good bubblegum pop.

I did. In full.

Happy to oblige:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Need any more?

prolly not a good idea to refer to it a bubblegum then as thats a pretty well established & defined style

i figure anyone reading the original thread would get it.

edit:
i thought bubblegum was term coined to refer to music that is produced and aimed at and sold to kids, present day bubblegum doesnt sound like the archies, but it does fulfill the same role.

Sums it up pretty good here: http://www.allmusic.com/explore/essay/bubblegum-t531

When I hear the phrase bubblegum pop I instantly think of stuff from the 60's & 70's not the crap thats aimed at tweens these days. They have their roots in hip hop and dance music and other such shite.
Its just a pedantic note on my part.
Apologies for the thread hijack, as you were.

[bc]
http://thestockingfillers.bandcamp.com/track/sunshine-in-the-grapevine[/bc]

i went the klf route. steal a pile of stuff. spent the first two hours working with a few ideas, then changed tack and went the mash up route. its pretty repetitive, annoying and has a good bassline. which is modern bubblegum i suppose. brickwalled the fuck out of the compresser, lest you miss a second of it.

embeds be damned:

http://thestockingfillers.bandcamp.com/track/sunshine-in-the-grapevine

not bubblegum pop.

this is true. i went by that article linked above with idea that i'd have something within four hours. otherwise it fits the criteria:

2 - 3 mins long.
sounds like all the crap in the charts, worse if possible
created without one iota of moral fibre.

I've logged into thumped for the first time in yonks just to express my dismay and sadness at this thread.. Ann Post your track is awful, the sampling out of tune, the sounds you use are dated, the thing is like a bad hip-hop track and I don't has any reflection on what's in the charts at all

The fact that none of this is 'bubblegum' has been raised and while it's symantics really it still betrays a lack of understanding here.. also..

If you've read KLF's manual you'll know that one thing they warn against is cynacism... and I quote..

Cynicism is a terrible, disfiguring character trait if used by the individual who is forced to carry a bitter chip. He will use his cynicism to cope with the weight of life and all its trials. But cynicism harnessed to your advantage can help debunk fraudulent mysteries that prevent us from sharing in what is possible and what is ours. At all times cynicism must be balanced with a belief and faith in the intrinsic goodness of our fellow man. Nobody really wants to be bad, even when they are pulling the trigger or handing out the towels for the non existent showers.

You are not going to be able to cheat your way to the top. It is only by nurturing the goodness that everybody wants to express are the doors going to be held open for you.

The idea that S.A.W., or XENOMAINIA or Richard X or Linda Perry or The Neptunes or the KLF or whoever you want to pick, it purposely writing dross with contempt for the public or the entire history of western music is rubbish. It may not be your cup of tea, but clearly it has mass appeal.

I think in these post-modern times, I think everyone has accepted that 'Wannabe' or 'Milkshake' or 'Rock Your Body' or more recently 'Only Girl In The World' or anything by Gaga is, while probably not genius, clever stuff that ticks all the right boxes and it's 'okay' to say that, appreciate it for what it is and walk away and buy your Clap Your Vampire Shins album on vinyl produceded by Danger Mouse and never think about it again.

I don't think you've proved anything with your tune (4 hours? really???) and if fact have made a stronger case for the argument that IT IS hard to make great chart pop and not everyone can do it!

I think in these post-modern times, I think everyone has accepted that 'Wannabe' or 'Milkshake' or 'Rock Your Body' or more recently 'Only Girl In The World' or anything by Gaga is, while probably not genius, clever stuff that ticks all the right boxes and it's 'okay' to say that, appreciate it for what it is and walk away and buy your Clap Your Vampire Shins album on vinyl produceded by Danger Mouse and never think about it again.

Interesting post. I'm not sure whether I agree with the part I quoted, I'll have to take some time to think about that.

I'm actually posting to ask what you think of the original thread that this is an offshoot of?

Hi pantone, good to see you back, and that your still lurking.

pantone247 said:
Ann Post your track is awful

I'm not actually quoting that to defend the quality of the 'song', also, extra welcome back for your pure honesty - i dont think its great either, it was a first time go with a 4 hours time limit, the first two hours spent on another idea that seemed to be a dead end (but was a conventional bubblegum song, in the pedantic sense). Also the samples arent actually out of tune, just i changed the key to minor effectively so the modulation is different.

it still betrays a lack of understanding here.. also..
If you've read KLF's manual you'll know that one thing they warn against is cynacism... and I quote..

I havent read the manual. what i did was take a few classic hooks and repeat them over a beat and a simple riff, which was the parallel i drew with the klf in it, that was the formula they used. Fair enough to bring up cynicism, but i'd say that was just my wording there. i was saying on the thread that started this experiment, everybody on thumped writes niche music and to go further on that point, theres a certain barrier in writing that i'd say everyone on thumped would need to get past to actually write for chart, but the barrier is probably either something to do with personal music and lyrical ethics or in the odd case, cynicsmsm or a lack of it, but more likely that when folk here put pen to paper, are they thinking about what teens and tweens and what they are doing this week?? probably not - but the stuff in the charts doesnt make it past the office unless its been created this way. A great exception is adele, who actually is a person at that age and is just writing. I think you might have taken my wording a bit too seriously too. this is for fun, i wouldn't think for a second i'd write a good chartable modern popular song on demand in 4 hours, i was just enjoying the whim. You are making valid though points especially:

he idea that S.A.W., or XENOMAINIA or Richard X or Linda Perry or The Neptunes or the KLF or whoever you want to pick, it purposely writing dross with contempt for the public or the entire history of western music is rubbish. It may not be your cup of tea, but clearly it has mass appeal.

except you'd really be misconceiving if you think i think like that. Where i would draw parallels with bubblegum and modern day chart music is that lyrically its all about demographics, and in the charts more so. you seem to agree with that when you say:

I think in these post-modern times, I think everyone has accepted that 'Wannabe' or 'Milkshake' or 'Rock Your Body' or more recently 'Only Girl In The World' or anything by Gaga is, while probably not genius, clever stuff that ticks all the right boxes and it's 'okay' to say that

I don't think you've proved anything with your tune (4 hours? really???) and in fact have made a stronger case for the argument that IT IS hard to make great chart pop and not everyone can do it!

first i need to ask, where did i say i was going to prove something? What i'd say i learned from it is that if i did that ever day i'd write a few catchy songs, my lyrics would go sharply downhill very fast and i'd become a person who writes singles rather than albums. i've never tried this before, neither a mash up, a deliberate single nor a thumped song challenge. I write songs surely and they take months but more often years, thats my writing style - if you ask me for a pop song, sure i'll write it but i will 2015 before i get you a rough demo. i'd say the last two years of writing from my point of view i've probably written more fun and catchy music than before (none of which is released), and i could easily have just posted up one of those tunes and pretended i'd just whipped it out, that would have been cynical as fuck. I could have proved to the internet that i can write a catchy tune but i'm not into that playing safe shit, i thought it more fun to just go with a challenge, more or less based on a combo of the previous thread and the irish times article linked somewhere above. Its out of character for me to work like that so it stretches the writing muscles in ways that they dont normally stretch, which is a healthy thing from a writing point of view so far as i'm concerned. Would you take such a challenge pantone?? four hours, catchy tune? also, are you sure that your dismay and sadness at this thread arent part of cynical thinking on your behalf.

Hands up if you think ann post has too much time on his hands

Hands-up.jpg

woah, I get back to this.
Pantone made a few points that I was going to make (but in a different way).
My point was going to be that while this is a fun challenge don't think it's going to be easy. While it's easy to snort at Everybody's Shufflin' Shufflin' it's ten times easier to write a rock song than one of those. As with anything, just because you don'y like it, don't mean it isn't any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back