Science/Fantasy fiction bukes (1 Viewer)

reading this at the moment

1p_leviathan_jkt_small.jpg

it's quite good/exciting but i'm a bit worried it's just gonna end without actually saying anything of interest

I just finished Von Bek : Tale of the Eternal Champion Vol. 1 by Michael Moorcock which contains two novels - The Warhound & The World's Pain was fairly mediocre but it gave a bit of background to the excellent second novel - The City In The Autumn Stars. The second one was fantastic. It had many of my favorite ingredients for a novel including the french revolution, dandies, rogues, hot air balloons, a talking fox, duels, cozy inns, ale, satanists and so on. Very funny too, highly recommended. There was a short story in there too but that wasn't great.

1857984366.jpg

Read Hyperion if you want a good start, it follows all the usual sci-fi norms of big space battles etc etc, but reads like literature. Amazing book.

finished Hyperion a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it...thanks for the tip. It took me 2 attempts to read this as I wasn't taken by it the first time around, but gave it another go (thankfully).

I particularily liked the priest's and detective's story in...but

I was slightly disappointed with the ending. I wanted a bit more closure regarding the pilgramige and the imminent ouster attack

Will check out the rest of the series next...anyone read them ?

Apparently they are making the film also

finished Hyperion a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it...thanks for the tip. It took me 2 attempts to read this as I wasn't taken by it the first time around, but gave it another go (thankfully).

I particularily liked the priest's and detective's story in...but

I was slightly disappointed with the ending. I wanted a bit more closure regarding the pilgramige and the imminent ouster attack

Will check out the rest of the series next...anyone read them ?

Apparently they are making the film also

The Fall of Hyperion deals with what's in your spoiler comment. It follows directly on from the first book.

The events in the Endymion books take place some years later. I didn't like these the first time I read them but I read all the books again recently and really enjoyed them. I think I left too much of a gap between reading the Hyperion books and the Endymion books the first time around.

The Fall of Hyperion deals with what's in your spoiler comment. It follows directly on from the first book.

The events in the Endymion books take place some years later. I didn't like these the first time I read them but I read all the books again recently and really enjoyed them. I think I left too much of a gap between reading the Hyperion books and the Endymion books the first time around.

I'll be checking out the rest of the Hyperion books so but they will have to wait as I hope to start the Peter F. Hamilton Void trilogy soon (once I've finished the Stieg Larsson Millennium books which I am half way through and liking very much).

I've heard good things about this series, although just found out today that the 3 Void book are a set in the same universe as a previous series by him...hoping this won't matter too much.

I would definitely read the Fall of Hyperion as soon as possible - I ended up reading them both again after leaving a gap between them initially, and the plot gets fairly complex (lots of interconnecting stories to remember) so it tied up a lot of loose ends! I thought the ending was very satisfying too.

I honestly think those first two Hyperion books are the best two SF space opera style books I own, and I love Iain M Banks etc, but they just seem a class above. The only books I've read three times (like Hyperion) are the Earthsea trilogy books, which I read as a kid, in Uni and a few years ago, and enjoyed equally each time.

I wasn't that fussed on the Void trilogy - it was alright, but I preferred the Greg Mandel books (later ones anyway) and the earlier commonwealth stuff. Plus - Biononics? Fuck off.

Two books I'd recommend for a good entertaining read are Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, which is class and has a series which just gets better, and Metal Fatigue by Sean Williams. The only good book he's ever written.

Have started reading the Malazan series by Steven Eriksson, quite enjoying it.

Was given Dune and the first book in The Wheel of Time series, so looking forward to getting stuck into those too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back