Why am I so underwhelmed by music these days? (1 Viewer)

Goodbye

Nothing does it for anymore like it did years ago.

You'd come over all funny, get goose bumps and your jaw would slacken at the mere opening chord of a song.

I cant remember the last time that has happened.

It makes me sad.

i think mark is right

with rock music at least, its been around so long now that its hard to do anything that you havent heard before. i still love i though, and am blown away by it regularly. i was listening to River Through Howling Sky by Richard Youngs last night and was blown away by the last track. totally blown away, even though i've heard it loads of times. it came out in 2003.

I'm with Ian on this. I think it's an age thing. It gets harder to find new music that does it for me these days.

What age are you guys? I reckon yous aren't looking hard enough.

is this turning into some kind of age appropriate music thing?

I'm 29 and the only thing I've heard lately that set my heart a flutter was been made by a man who was 63 at the time. (Steve Reich, Triple Quartet)

One thing I can say age wise is that getting conpemperary bands recomended to you by people more than 5 years younger than you usually ends in disapointment.

I doubt its an age thing, although it may be...

I still get excited by music, dont get me wrong, its just that I have to delve back into my collection & dust off something I aint heard in years to give me the eargasm I'm seeking.

Even the trusted oldsters, my go to guys arn't doing it for me like they used to, Prince, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pet Shop Boys et al... I mean they are still producing great music, but its my reaction to it thats not the same.

Perhaps John Hughes was right, when you grow up, your heart dies. Is thats whats happened? Has my heart for music died?

I still get excited by music, dont get me wrong, its just that I have to delve back into my collection & dust off something I aint heard in years to give me the eargasm I'm seeking.

Even the trusted oldsters, my go to guys arn't doing it for me like they used to, Prince, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pet Shop Boys et al... I mean they are still producing great music, but its my reaction to it thats not the same.

Perhaps John Hughes was right, when you grow up, your heart dies. Is thats whats happened? Has my heart for music died?

I can only discuss Sonic Youth from that list but the last two didn't do it cos they weren't great.

I find, I know what I'm getting with old faves and have to try to find something in it I like. Which is why I started listening to people like Miles Davis and Steve Reich and the likes. If I'm going to have to go looking for something i might as well look in somewhere I haven't been. Mind you I'm probably younger than you but I really started to hate new bands about 2 or 3 years ago and just started delving into the archives a bit Roy Orbison really did it for me too.

I do explore. Don't get me wrong. I find something that blows me away yet it doesn't have any sustainability and makes me question if I was blown away in the first place because if I was REALLY truly blown away I'd have sought out the back catalogue, bought the tshirt and wrote their name on my copy book.

I keep getting blown away by new and newly discovered music. Some of the bands in Dublin are doing amazing stuff of late, I love discovering old folk and trad records. "World" music has a vast canon with an embarrassment of riches.

Well I had a great post all made up but then I pressed backspace thinking it would delete a spelling error and it reversed me back a page and I lost everything I typed.

Sorry the Ian, you're on your own.

Actually, can you give an example of music that blew you away this year but then you quickly grew bored and changed your mind?

I think it's pretty simple.

When you delve back in to your collection and find something you've liked for years you're transported back to happy times. Music you've just heard won't have the same impact.

Unless of course it's a new type of music or something simply brilliant. You're older now and you've heard tonnes of stuff. The bar is higher.

Have you tried rave music?

Actually, can you give an example of music that blew you away this year but then you quickly grew bored and changed your mind?

Its not that I grew bored or changed my mind - its that they become forgettable.

As I'm typing this, iTunes is booting up because I can't even remember the name of who I'm thinking of for an example, I'm going to have to scroll threw the artwork...

Bare with me

Owen Pallett

Totally blown away on first listen

Giving it a blast again now

meh

Point is, is when I first head him - It was totally new no me.
Saw some youtube video of him playing a gig in the rain & nearly getting electrocuted. Amazing.
Got the album - amazing. Totally new to me. This is my new this saw I.

Mere months later & I'd forgotten his name.

When you delve back in to your collection and find something you've liked for years you're transported back to happy times. Music you've just heard won't have the same impact.

Dunno. Somehow I think the music was better then. Cos its still better now. If you get me.

You're older now and you've heard tonnes of stuff. The bar is higher.

So, if I didn't have such a passion for music, I'd still like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back