Jaysus cycling! (2 Viewers)

They should stop with the cycle lanes, the ones they are putting down are dangerous and they will never ever get it right. Not only should they not make any new ones, I think they should sandblast the existing lanes off the road.

as an outsider, when i'm going to dublin on the bus, i just look at the bicycle lanes when i'm on the bus and i am aghast at them

I was gonna give some examples of the dangerous ones on my usual commute, but there are just so many its not even funny. I've seen cyclists rigidly obeying them put themselves in awful danger. The worst examples are when they are put right next to parked cars. I will not use those for fear of either getting doored or getting crushed by a bus when swerving to avoid a dooring. But I am legally obliged to use them. The law requires me to endanger myself. Its farcical. They were going to repeal the mandatory cycle lane use law last year, but still haven't got round to it.

Theres a flickr group dedicated to them.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/dublincyclelanes/

This is my favorite one that I took....
pool-908348@N25
http://www.flickr.com/photos/409197...s/40919706@N08/3934493235/in/pool-908348@N25/

You are legally obliged to cycle into that pole.

I didn't know we were legally obliged to use the cycle lanes. That's madness.

I didn't know we were legally obliged to use the cycle lanes. That's madness.
Well I over simplified it a bit. I think the cycle lane has to have proper legally binding sign posts denoting the beginning and the end. But alot of the lanes in Ireland don't use proper legal signs with the proper symbols and colour. So alot of them technically you don't, but try explaining that to an irate taxi driver as he's revving and beeping you for not using a shit cycle lane.

Its all such an Irish solution that they should just scrap it.

i thought they had already rescinded that "must use the cycle lane" law,ridiculous that they still haven't gotten round to it.about the only place they've gotten the cycle lanes correct is down the lower quays (from customs house down) outside that area ill avoid them like the plague.on the flip side i noticed lately that car drivers are becoming sounder-giving a wide berth when passing cyclists and not getting hugely upset when delayed for a few seconds on narrower roads,hope this keeps up.

on cycle lanes, according to the rules of the road, they must use them if it is provided

also, on a straw poll of work colleagues, none of them knew what is the signal for a cycle going straight at a crossroads where they don't have right of way. as a cyclist, i find worrying

Yeah I'm leaning heavily towards the tektros, they seem decent and I'm broke so the price is good.

for a racer?

theres a set of 105 calipers linked from that page and they're a quid cheaper. They're the slightly older 105s, but can't go wrong with them.

Do you have a link, I can't find them now. Unless I looked at them and they weren't in stock?

Yeah for a racer. Not sure if I'm keeping the drop bars but it's now running as a single speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back