Mad Men Season 4 (2 Viewers)

I thought Joan cutting her finger was on purpose. If she went to the hospital she could have the days off work hence why despite him be a doctor she still kept saying, "lets go to the hospital." She wanted to days off to try to get pregnant before he leaves and maybe never comes back, no? Or was I completely reading that wrong?
I hadn't thought about that. Couldn't she just have said she had the shits, or 'women's problems'? I bet nobody questioned that excuse back in the day.

I have a hard time with the Dick/Anna storyline because I just don't believe that Don gives a shit about anyone but himself. Are we supposed to like him more because he acts quasi-nice to Anna? The only reason he's kind to her is to make himself feel better. Don: You disgust me. I almost felt sorry for Joan's husband though and it was nice to see his "good" side. Otherwise it's just baffling as to why Joan is with him.

I liked Lane's stoic hangover.
If Don does indeed give a shit about Anna, then he would think twice about shagging her young niece, surely?

I'm like Lane when I'm hungover.

I hadn't thought about that. Couldn't she just have said she had the shits, or 'women's problems'? I bet nobody questioned that excuse back in the day.

Because it was already a big production with the denial of days and flowers given. Those excuses would be obvious. Having to go to the hospital and being bandaged would have made it believable to management.

If Don does indeed give a shit about Anna, then he would think twice about shagging her young niece, surely?

He's a man. He compartmentalises.
One thing has nothing to do with the other.

That said, he did actually say "I don't know" when she asked him what he was doing.
He's just a little adrift right now. Albeit adrift in a sea of money, booze and no-strings sex.

She wanted to show her off, she was proud of her. Not sure she's fully up to speed on Dick's cocksman rep.
Plus, the kid was holding.

Agreed. Plus she knows she's sick and wanted to be surrounded by those she loves and have a good time. She was making sure Don got to know her niece so when she's gone a bit of her will live for him. imho

Yes, that bit was pretty funny. Just didn't buy the idea of him and Don out together with prostitues.

Isn't that the point? It wouldn't be something Lane would do but Don was providing him 'help' (the way he knows how) with a difficult choice. He could have let Don pay for it and let it be forgotten as he was upset, got too drunk and did something out of character. Swept under the rug. Instead he made sure to pay for it in the light of day owning up to actions and actual desires. Not that he desires hookers but he wants NYC. He wants this job where he feels like he makes a difference and it provides him with self worth. That night he was unfaithful to his wife who makes him feel worthless or at least less of a man. That morning the life he once knew is now over and the price of that began with 25 bucks and a tip.

That's what I thought too and judging by the reaction of Anna's sister the following day Don's reputation is known far and wide.

I took that as typical 60's housewife's priggish attitude. Here's a married (recently divorced) man who stops in a few times a year and then promptly leaves with no reason (from her sisters perspective) to do so. Plus he pays for things like her house. I doubt even Anna knows his full reputation (meaning the full extent) though I'm sure she expects it's bad. I don't think she was setting them up rather just wanted them both around. Wanted him to know her. She took pride in her niece, "I hope I had a lot to do with that, she's going to change the world." Her niece is her legacy and she knows she sick or maybe I'm reading too much in? I suspected she was sick before we were told and she's one of the most preceptive characters on the show thus far so I doubt she's in the dark like they all assume.

There's an awful lot of jibber jabber in here for a crowd that poo poo'd the episode. I thought it was a swinging return to form. Welcome to the first day of 1965.

I think you can tell I liked it. ;) I heart this show way too much. I just really appreciate the character development and I don't think it's bad at all this season. In fact, if they didn't explore deeper and flow with the change in the decade the show would have stalled. It would have become boring if we all knew what everyone was going to do. It may have a different feel this season but that's what will eventually bring more life to it. I'm just still hoping there is a reason for Betty to be written so blah. I was actually relieved she wasn't in the episode this week.

I think you can tell I liked it. ;) I heart this show way too much. I just really appreciate the character development and I don't think it's bad at all this season. In fact, if they didn't explore deeper and flow with the change in the decade the show would have stalled. It would have become boring if we all knew what everyone was going to do. It may have a different feel this season but that's what will eventually bring more life to it. I'm just still hoping there is a reason for Betty to be written so blah. I was actually relieved she wasn't in the episode this week.

1.20am?

Do you people have jobs?

I liked that episode too.. drunk Lane was hilarious, and it's nice for them to show Dick\Don's non bastard side every so often. Is it really possible that somebody would not be told that they have terminal cancer on the say-so of a relative though, if they're an adult and sound of mind etc.? Doesn't seem especially ethical.

I liked that episode too.. drunk Lane was hilarious, and it's nice for them to show Dick\Don's non bastard side every so often. Is it really possible that somebody would not be told that they have terminal cancer on the say-so of a relative though, if they're an adult and sound of mind etc.? Doesn't seem especially ethical.

Can a husband call up his wife's psychiatrist and get a run down of her session? I think back in the day you could probably get a way with it a bit more. That said, I think Anna knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back