m audio fast track ultra (1 Viewer)

i'm not up to speed as i was on this subject, but is the m-audio stuff the stuff that will only run on pro-tools??

Pretty sure it's the other way 'round.
ProTools M Powered only works with M-Audio products just like the LE version only works with the M-Box units or the Digi consoles.
These hardware all have ASIO drivers allowing them to be used with any DAW.

The M-Audio stuff seems to get good reports.
I've just gotten a MacBook Pro too and am currently using a M-Box but thinking of getting an 8 input unit too.
Check out the Focusrite Saffire stuff. Great value for money, rock solid drivers and excellent sound quality especially with the Liquid preamps are what the reports are all saying.

Check out the Focusrite Saffire stuff. Great value for money, rock solid drivers and excellent sound quality especially with the Liquid preamps are what the reports are all saying.

i bought one of the focusrite 8input yokes a few months ago, its very solidly built, i've shamefully had little time to use it but in general i would say it lives up to reviews. slight latency bother but thats more down to me not setting it up proper yet.

usb 3 will be yeaaars away tho surely?

...don't think so.
In fact it could come as soon as early 2010
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/usb-3-0-release-edges-closer-02-09-2009/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Availability

Besides the point, what I'm suggesting is that a USB inteface should be a more future proof than a firewire one....

I made this mistake when I bought a Cardbus Audio interface (emu 1616m) for my laptop only to realise a year later that manuafacturers have jumped ship and now ship Express card interfaces with laptops

It get's a fairly decent review on SOS.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may08/articles/fasttrackultra.htm

The onboard DSP Effects would definately be a plus for me as it can lighten the CPU load (if the effects are any good)

Bearing in mind, USB 3.0 will be coming out sometime soon so the advantages of a USB interface will probably make firewire redundant

thanks, that's a helpful review. i've just ordered it anyway so will report back.

i've heard of firewire effectively running more slowly than usb 2 because of buffering the signal. i have no idea if that's true.

thanks, that's a helpful review. i've just ordered it anyway so will report back.

i've heard of firewire effectively running more slowly than usb 2 because of buffering the signal. i have no idea if that's true.

USB 2 (480Mbps) has a higher theoretical throughput than Firewire 400 (400Mbps) but Firewire is able to maintain it's speed consistantly this high, making it more suitable for real time audio. USB 2 rarely reaches it's max speed and fluctuates about a fair bit, causing problems in somoe cases. ProTools does not support the use of USB2 for this reason.
That's Firewire 400, Firewire 800 (3,200Mbps) simply blows USB 2 out of the water and is far more than audio could ever require making it pretty future proof. RME has a really nice looking FW800 interface that's getting good reviews, if only I had that kinda money...

USB3, whenever it comes out, will only be as (consistantly) fast as Firewire 800 currently is.

USB 2 (480Mbps) has a higher theoretical throughput than Firewire 400 (400Mbps) but Firewire is able to maintain it's speed consistantly this high, making it more suitable for real time audio. USB 2 rarely reaches it's max speed and fluctuates about a fair bit, causing problems in somoe cases. ProTools does not support the use of USB2 for this reason.
That's Firewire 400, Firewire 800 (3,200Mbps) simply blows USB 2 out of the water and is far more than audio could ever require making it pretty future proof. RME has a really nice looking FW800 interface that's getting good reviews, if only I had that kinda money...

USB3, whenever it comes out, will only be as (consistantly) fast as Firewire 800 currently is.

pro tools m-powered definitely works with this interface - is m-powered the difference? anyway i'm using ableton pretty much exclusively, and so far it's been great, easy to use, and really portable.

pro tools m-powered definitely works with this interface - is m-powered the difference? anyway i'm using ableton pretty much exclusively, and so far it's been great, easy to use, and really portable.

Just to clarify; any interface supporting either ASIO (Windows) or Core Audio (Mac) will work with any DAW supporting ASIO or Core Audio (ie all of them AFAIK****).

****However the ProTools DAW is "special".
ProTools HD will only work with DigiDesign PCI soundcards.
ProTools M Powered will only work with M-Audio products.
ProTools LE will only work with Digidesign interfaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back