New Louis Theroux tonight (1 Viewer)

Anyone I've ever met who has lived in South Africa absolutely loves the place, despite the threat of car jackings, muggings, etc. From the outside it looks like the kinda place I'd hate to live.

I missed the start but thought that the places they were filming in were on the outskirts of the Johannesburg and not the city itself?

I can't imagine many tourists venture out there or see what really happens. There was a documentary on Newstalk about the World Cup and the amount of money South Africa is spending on it while a few miles outside the city people are living in extreme poverty.

i haven't watched it yet, but just found the johannesburg one streaming
if anyone else has been looking for it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I missed the start but thought that the places they were filming in were on the outskirts of the Johannesburg and not the city itself?

I can't imagine many tourists venture out there or see what really happens. There was a documentary on Newstalk about the World Cup and the amount of money South Africa is spending on it while a few miles outside the city people are living in extreme poverty.

But aren't car-jackings common even in affluent suburbs? I remember seeing some film a couple of years ago. Totsi maybe. (I know it's only a film).
And those neighbourhoods that had been taken over in the Louis Theroux doc were once trendy neighbourhoods full of students and couples etc., so they couldn't be too far from the city centre.

Presuming England qualify I hope they get posted in Jo'Burg. There'd be a good documentary in that.

But aren't car-jackings common even in affluent suburbs?

Yeah that's what I meant. I've been told people drive with the windows open a couple of centimetres because it makes them harder to break for car jackers/muggers.

You can have optional flame throwers on cars... http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/ "The first buyer, Police Superintendent David Walkley of Johannesburg's crime intelligence unit"

One guy was telling me that shooting a tresspaser who was mostly inside the house "used to be no big deal. Now the police ask you alot of questions".

Strange doc last night. His angle seemed to be to focus on functioning addicts and how normalized it's become for the city. It was actually freakier seeing people smoking in front of their kids and then have a decks party that seemed like 'fun', than listening to some horrific looking case behind bars.

1-meth.jpg

It thought it was crazy how quickly people seemed to heavily addicted.

Although I was also amazed how several of the addicts mentioned taking it in order to help them clean the house.
I've been meaning to clean the house for ages but haven't got the motivation to...

why has meth not caught on over here yet?

There was an amount siezed in Offaly last year, so it is about. Could be like the heroin problem in the midlands during the 90's, just not that interesting or encroaching on people to report.

The weirdest, most chilling part of Louis's film was that most of the folks were very average looking dudes, the young guys have the BBQ weren't idiots, there was little bravado in what they were doing, they just had nothing else good in ther lives. The couple were mega bizzare, he was clearly signed up for life, but his wife seemed horribly conflicted.

Most upsetting was how many children had been taken away from parents, and that the parents had this sort of absurd zen like take on it, like "I love them so much I accept that they had to be taken away cause I'm going to be doing meth for a very very long time", some of them were upset and remorsefull, but not really repentant. Crystal Meth just sounds like it'll obliterate your soul

Most upsetting was how many children had been taken away from parents, and that the parents had this sort of absurd zen like take on it, l

yea - there is no end to the depths of rationalisation that addicts go to make their addiction seem ok to themselves.

although, with some of these meth people I kept wondering about the influence the courses/programmes they all went on (either in jail or out) and how they informed their rationalisation, self awareness and perception of their addiction... without doing much to get them off the shit.

if you know what I mean.

a few of the resident thumped yank ex-pats have spoken about meth before. by the sounds of it when it takes of here (and as its so cheap its bound to) its going to be the ant-craic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back