Electricians (1 Viewer)

IBEC have been canvassing quite blatantly to reverse Labour Law and the Government are colluding in it and trying their best to reduce wages (though not their own and their cronies') and reduce Social Welfare payments (this has already happened - No Xmas Bonus, Reduced Children's Allowance, etc.).

So, yeah, I'm talking generally. But this situation wouldn't arise if this hadn't been happening all over the place.

When did it become acceptable to reduce people's wages? What sort of one-sided shite is being spewed from our Media that convinces people that it's okay to accept a wage decrease or you'll lose your job? There are an awful lot of employers out there who are using this to their own, profitable, advantage at the expense of the people who create their profit for them. It's nothing short of blackmail.

And the Unions aren't being very helpful, Social Partnership is a joke, designed to do nothing but stop worker's striking by promising them piecemeal increases.

And even the Farmer's no longer like Parlon. That speaks volumes.

In general its hard to argue with any of that. I just wish it wasn't the sparks though. Its hard to have any sympathy with them given how they milked the celtic tiger for everything they good, then didn't declare a penny of it. I knew electricians driving porsches 7/8 years ago.

It was once one of the most lucrative professions to be in financially. Now that things are hard for them, they're crying like babies.

And they placed a picket on Cadburys, causing them to have to place all their staff on protective notice. The union instigating the strike don't even have any members in Cadburys. David Begg seemed caught off guard when Sharon threw that one at him on the 6 news last night.

I'm with Goff, for once. Surely everyone has noticed an IBEC-led anti-worker agenda being driven through under cover of the recession? And we're swallowing it wholesale- there are people texting in the radio saying "the cheek of the electricians, they should be grateful they still have jobs". Grateful? What??? Do you morons think that your employers hire you because they're nice?

I'm actually beginning to think the only option We The People have left is social unrest. It'd probably be pretty easy to raise a mob right at the minute.

I'm with Goff, for once. Surely everyone has noticed an IBEC-led anti-worker agenda being driven through under cover of the recession? And we're swallowing it wholesale- there are people texting in the radio saying "the cheek of the electricians, they should be grateful they still have jobs". Grateful? What??? Do you morons think that your employers hire you because they're nice?

I'm actually beginning to think the only option We The People have left is social unrest. It'd probably be pretty easy to raise a mob right at the minute.

that works both ways though. On one hand employers are using the recession as an excuse to squeeze more from what workers they have while paying them less (or laying them off altogether). On the other, some employers genuinely can't afford to pay what they used to and act accordingly. They will get the same accusation levelled at them, that they're just using the recession as an excuse.

Every single job lost in this country during these times, and every pay cut demanded, should come under very close scrutiny by some independent body who should have powers to penalise an employer who does act the bollox.

On the other hand, if it can be shown that the cuts are justified (and it should be fairly clear-cut I would have thought), then fair enough.

that works both ways though. On one hand employers are using the recession as an excuse to squeeze more from what workers they have while paying them less (or laying them off altogether). On the other, some employers genuinely can't afford to pay what they used to and act accordingly. They will get the same accusation levelled at them, that they're just using the recession as an excuse.

Every single job lost in this country during these times, and every pay cut demanded, should come under very close scrutiny by some independent body who should have powers to penalise an employer who does act the bollox.

On the other hand, if it can be shown that the cuts are justified (and it should be fairly clear-cut I would have thought), then fair enough.

That's what the lrc and labour court do.

when there was nothing to pay them with.

That's nonsense.

If the company can't afford to pay them, then they either lay the staff off, or reduce their hours. They should not be reducing their wages and getting the same (more in a lot of cases, due to the blackmail threat of lay-offs) work for less money. If they can't make ends meet, then they shouldn't be in business.

It is not, under any circumstance, acceptable to reduce wages. In the 80's and 90's, a lot of people were put on Short-Time. Although I was never a big fan of it, they could also sign on and receive some payment from their Social Insurance contributions. This isn't happening now. So both the employers and the Government win. With the employee being shafted.

For the same reduction in wages, plus a top-up from the Social, you can have a much better work-life balance.

It'll be easier to raise a mob in the next few months with the rate of unemployment ever-climbing.

Can we have this protest sometime after the morning showing of Bergerac and the repeat showing of Bergerac?

or reduce their hours. They should not be reducing their wages and getting the same (more in a lot of cases, due to the blackmail threat of lay-offs) work for less money.

Hmmm, was that brought up in this particular dispute?

I'm not sure they'd settle for this. Obviously, a pay cut is a lot better if there are less hours to work for what you get. But ultimately, someone earns enough money to make ends meet or not. If they got less pay and couldn't make ends meet, I don't think this would be acceptable.

A top-up from the social? Seriously? Is there any mechanism whereby you can claim basic assistance while you're in employment?

That's nonsense.

If the company can't afford to pay them, then they either lay the staff off, or reduce their hours.... If they can't make ends meet, then they shouldn't be in business.

i agree with you, and i dont. i keep reiterating the same point to people these days on and off the net. ireland is in the least internationally competitive state its been in in at least 25 years, if not longer. nobody wants to open a factory here, only highly skilled industries are staying here, which is good for the educated workforce, but its going to fuck over people who use labour for sustenance. foreign employment is vital to sustaining whats left of the place. i dont think there should be wage cuts, i dont think people should be laid off or go out of business, but if we batter on with this world oweing us a living attitude were just fucked.

and the other guys question, basically if you earn less then the dole or dont pass a means test you can claim a top up, its totally legal, i did it part timing a few years back.

There are a two different ways.

There's Casual Work and there is Short-Time. If your hour of employment have reduced and you have at least three days of Unemployment, you may qualify for half - or more - of the weekly Benefit (Or Allowance - but that is means-tested - and wages can be taken into account). If you only work one day, you qualify for 5 days Benefit, 2 days, you get four, etc.

Short-Time is different and a bit more complicated and usually involves the whole factory/office being in the same boat. As such, it won't apply to most.

If anyone has had their hours/days reduced, I advise you to sign on if you satisfy the conditions.

Hmmm, was that brought up in this particular dispute?

A top-up from the social? Seriously? Is there any mechanism whereby you can claim basic assistance while you're in employment?

Yep, i used to work in a factory and got cut down from a full working week to 24hrs a week. They let me do 12 of those on a Sunday which didnt count on the socail welfare means test (not sure if thats still the case) which meant i got a good whack of the social too. This was more then 8 years ago so it may be different now.
Was Sweet.

Yep, i used to work in a factory and got cut down from a full working week to 24hrs a week. They let me do 12 of those on a Sunday which didnt count on the socail welfare means test (not sure if thats still the case) which meant i got a good whack of the social too. This was more then 8 years ago so it may be different now.
Was Sweet.

Sunday does count towards the means-test. On Benefit (non means-tested) it also counts towards loss of employment. So, if you work three other days and Sunday, you won't qualify as you will have more than three days of employment. Although, if you work two other days and a Sunday, you will get four days pay, as opposed to three, as it doesn't count towards payment.

It sounds more complicated than it is.

Bergerac is showing in syndicated form - with cuts.

To make things worse, the DVDs used these prints.

AVOID.

No way? On Alibi? What did they cut I wonder? Did Philippa Vale get her kit off? Did Jim go on a bender?

If the company can't afford to pay them, then they either lay the staff off, or reduce their hours. They should not be reducing their wages and getting the same (more in a lot of cases, due to the blackmail threat of lay-offs) work for less money. If they can't make ends meet, then they shouldn't be in business.
Dude I can see where you're coming from, but I am glad my employer, who's struggling to make ends meet, is cutting my pay instead of closing the company.

That doesn't mean I'll show him mercy when we march on the Drogheda Chamber of Commerce with pikes in hand, mind

No way? On Alibi? What did they cut I wonder? Did Philippa Vale get her kit off? Did Jim go on a bender?

All satellite broadcasts - UK Gold, Alibi etc - of Bergerac have used syndicated prints to fit the episodes into an hour time slot with the usual three / four breaks.

Episodes seem to be cut by two to three minutes on average but in some cases, cuts of seven to eight minutes have been reported.

The problem was compounded when these shorn prints were used by the BBC for the DVD releases.

As far as I know only the later series [8 and 9] have been released unscathed.

Disappointed punters

Dude I can see where you're coming from, but I am glad my employer, who's struggling to make ends meet, is cutting my pay instead of closing the company.

That doesn't mean I'll show him mercy when we march on the Drogheda Chamber of Commerce with pikes in hand, mind

There are a lot of employers trying to make ends meet and all circumstances are different.

You take Drogheda; I'll organise the Dáil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back