raw (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
herro.

today i shot a whole heaps of photos RAW instead of jpeg. i'm gonna hang onto the originals, but does anyone know how to make smaller file size copies?

does your camera have a dual raw/jpeg shooting mode?

what program are you using to open up the raw files? you should just be able to open them and batch resize/save them as jpegs in photoshop.

you can get a DNG converter from adobe, which converts them to adobe's 'lowest common denominator' RAW format - they're about half the size of the original raw files off my camera.

i'm having the same prob as ernesto. iPhoto's back is breaking under the weight of these files, so i'm throwing them on a cd instead lately.

pharm: i usually use iPhoto to store them. and I don't have photoshop so not sure if I can do that...

magic: i'll do some googling on that

i suppose if you expanded on that, it would answer my question

Sorry, I'm lost. You can't print from RAW like. There is a tiny difference in quality between jpeg and RAW shooting but you need to be printing in huge scale and looking really close up to see it.

The other reasons for shooting in raw are much more important and useful.

and mysterious

what is the point in shooting in RAW? is it just better for editing? i just assumed it was a resolution thing but i know nothing about it

You can change the exposure which is the big thing for me, white balance too but that not such a big deal to me although I have found it useful a few times. But yeah generally editing a raw image is way better.

when you take a jpeg on the camera, the camera takes the data off the sensor, applies the colour balance settings, vividness settings, etc., modifies the data, compresses it, and saves it to disk.

when you take a raw, the camera takes the data off the sensor, and saves it to disk.

means you can apply the changes at your leisure afterwards. a lot of the data is lost when those changes are made on the camera, so if you take a jpeg with the wrong white balance, it's often near useless. with RAW, all the original data is still there.

i dunno about other cameras, but there is only a tiny difference in resolution on mine between RAW and JPEG. less than 1%, i'd guess.

I still shoot in jpeg at least half the time, shortens the editing process for me and stops me trying to fix photos that were just badly taken in the first place.

I only shoot in RAW. I don't see the point of letting a camera make my compression decisions for me.

RAW is a digital negative, more or less. Jpeg is a lossy format. If you save a jpeg, you lose more information each time you save. Eventually it will just be a pile of blobs, if you save it over and over. RAW will never lose information.

It just makes more sense to start off with the best image possible. You can run a bath to convert them to jpeg if you want. DXO is great for that. Personally I just use camera raw for most of my tweaking.

LaLa, if I make it to Nouvelle Vage, I might bring my MAC p/shop cs4 disk. If I can find it first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back