ISPs providing addresses of p2p users to the IRMA? (1 Viewer)

P2P illegal downloading has bothered me, morally, for quite a while. I've done it but not in the past year or two. The closing of Road Records has sealed the deal for me: it's wrong and damages people who need support.

you can check the IP's of people using torrents though, yes/no?
They'll probably make a deal with rapidshare to get IP's off them in return for no more lawsuits against them or something

look at the way the Isle of Man decided to handle the problem compared to Ireland!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jan/20/isle-of-man-unlimited-downloads

far more progressive.

been wondering about having licences for downloading for a while. I mean you still need a licence to have TV, how outdated is that?

But rapidshare would have to check every file to check what people are downloading?Like people downloading tv shows and whatnot surely cant be prosecuted by irma for it?

P2P illegal downloading has bothered me, morally, for quite a while. I've done it but not in the past year or two. The closing of Road Records has sealed the deal for me: it's wrong and damages people who need support.

i justify it like so: i go to artists i like gigs whenever they're in town, which gives them way more money than the 10c (if their lucky) they get off me buying their cd. gigging is the future of music, which can't be a bad thing. and most people i know will download something to check it out, and if its good, go out and buy it. saw some article recently about heavy downloaders buying the most music, can't be arsed finding it.

i justify it like so: i go to artists i like gigs whenever they're in town, which gives them way more money than the 10c (if their lucky) they get off me buying their cd. gigging is the future of music, which can't be a bad thing.

It can be if the artist then has to spend 350 days a year gigging to make an income and has no time left to actually make music. Gig market is oversaturated already anyway ....

i justify it like so: i go to artists i like gigs whenever they're in town, which gives them way more money than the 10c (if their lucky) they get off me buying their cd. gigging is the future of music, which can't be a bad thing. and most people i know will download something to check it out, and if its good, go out and buy it. saw some article recently about heavy downloaders buying the most music, can't be arsed finding it.

That's all well and good for people who live in big cities but how can you support a band if they don't come to your town? Most people I know will download something and then stick it on their shitpod and NOT go out and buy it. And whatever about downloading off major labels, it's the smaller labels that really suffer from illegal downloading, the ones that need most support.

Most people I know will download something and then stick it on their shitpod and NOT go out and buy it.

I am very much the exception in my friends in that I actually go out and buy cd's. Pretty much all of them just have their oh so amazing external hard disks. It's pretty funny when they drop them down the stairs though.

Of course maybe i'm just much more materialistic than them.

That's all well and good for people who live in big cities but how can you support a band if they don't come to your town? Most people I know will download something and then stick it on their shitpod and NOT go out and buy it. And whatever about downloading off major labels, it's the smaller labels that really suffer from illegal downloading, the ones that need most support.

fair enough, cd's are overpriced though, i mean 17 squid for a piece of plastic, of which a tiny fraction goes to the artist seems a bit ridiculous to me.

fair enough, cd's are overpriced though, i mean 17 squid for a piece of plastic, of which a tiny fraction goes to the artist seems a bit ridiculous to me.

That's true, but it's not the plastic you're paying for is it? It's the art contained therein. And if only a tiny fraction goes to the artist then that's between the record label and the artist, not a justification for outright stealing their output.

Put it this way: if you download and then buy what you like then fair enough. But Road's recent demise should highlight the fact that if illegal downloading continues then you won't have anywhere to buy the cds, apart from online, which is the way it's all going.

you really think downloading was the main cause of road records going under though? plenty of other record shops doing fine, vinyl sales globally are up too apparently. more to do with the recession i'd say.

you really think downloading was the main cause of road records going under though? plenty of other record shops doing fine, vinyl sales globally are up too apparently. more to do with the recession i'd say.

One of the primary causes, yes.

plenty of other record shops doing fine

Why do you think that? I get the impression they are all suffering .. just to greater and lesser degrees.

vinyl sales globally are up too apparently

Maybe. From miniscule to slightly-more-than-miniscule perhaps ....

more to do with the recession i'd say.

Undoubtedly. Once people have less money in their pockets they stop buying things they don't need to buy. You don't need to buy CDs or records when you can download your music for free.

my conscious is clean.

and speaking of thievery, this 2 terabyte monster is a steal at 1,000 dollars! coupled with a juicy 20 meg broadband connection, you'll be throwing musicians on the streets in no time!

41V6JYGV5YL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AZFYQ0/?tag=thumpedcom-20

What's the deal with record companies and/or bands giving free mp3s to websites, like pitchfork, and then charging for the same mp3s on itunes etc?

Also, is listening to something on youtube or other media website just as much copyright infringment because the musicians aren't getting any money for their music being on it? When we hear something on the radio it's different, because the musicians get something for every song that's played. Should we not look at youtube now either?

What's the deal with record companies and/or bands giving free mp3s to websites, like pitchfork, and then charging for the same mp3s on itunes etc?

Also, is listening to something on youtube or other media website just as much copyright infringment because the musicians aren't getting any money for their music being on it? When we hear something on the radio it's different, because the musicians get something for every song that's played. Should we not look at youtube now either?

I think you stream rather than download from most of them sites. To me it's the equivalent of giving out promo singles free to radio stations. People like to source their music themselves anymore and increasingly rely on the net rather than radio/tv to check out new stuff. Just like myspace or whatever, it's a means of promotion.

Froog, you moron, fuck all bands make money from touring. Most are lucky to break even. Money is made from record/merch sales and airplay. That's a lame justification

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back