[Sep 22, 2018] Mitski (Dublin) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 847
  • Watchers 0
[Sep 22, 2018] Mitski (Dublin)
Posted by pete
The Tivoli Theatre
Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 08:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 11:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
MITSKI
Tivoli Theatre, Dublin
Saturday 22nd September 2018

Buy tickets.

Following sold-out shows at Whelans and The Workmans Club, Mitski has today announced she will return to Dublin this September to headline the Tivoli Theatre.

Ask Mitski Miyawaki - otherwise known simply as Mitski - about happiness and she'll warn you: “Happiness can really fuck you.” It's a lesson that's been writ large into the New Yorker's gritty outsider indie for years, but never so powerfully as on her album, Puberty 2. “Happiness is up, sadness is down, but one's almost more destructive than the other,” she says. “When you realise you can't have one without the other, it's possible to spend periods of happiness just waiting for that other wave.” On Puberty 2, that tension is palpable: it’s a beautiful and brutal romantic hinterland, in which one of the American east coast’s most fierce new voices hits a brave new stride.

The follow-up to 2014's Bury Me At Makeout Creek - which was named after a Simpsons quote and hailed by Pitchfork as “a complex 10-song story [containing] some of the most nuanced, complex and articulate music that's come from the indiesphere in a while,” - Puberty 2 picks up where its predecessor left off. “It's kind of a two parter,” explains Mitski, who's toured around the world and played with the likes of Speedy Ortiz and Hundred Waters since that album's release.

Musically, Puberty 2 has subtle evolutions: electronic drum pads pulse throughout, underneath fervent guitar lines. There are keyboards and organ sounds - even distorted saxophone played through a guitar amp. “I went out to tour Bury Me At Makeout Creek and started listening to other types of music more,” says says. “I felt less confined. I started exploring other types of music that I enjoy - particularly pop and hip-hop - and while I certainly wasn't set on making a pop or hip-hop record, I did end up feeling more uninhibited and free in how I decided to express myself. At the end of the day, I think I'm a pop writer in that I feel like I'm very conscious of the pop song form, and the momentum in a song - in the sense of moving to a peak and evolving from there.”

Recorded with producer Patrick Hyland - with whom Mitski has worked solely with for several years - Puberty 2 is her most confident and ambitious record to date.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back