1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

working for yourself

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pad, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 730 days old.
  1. pad

pad New Member

yes. i'm not enjoying work today.
    do you work for yourself and if so, what do you do and how is the recession affecting you?

2. Jill Hives

Jill Hives Once Removed Supporter Contributor

Finding anyone who 'likes' their job is near impossible. Working for themselves or for someone else, especially if they're posting here. I've only ever met one person who seriously loved what they do and he's a robot. Well, as close as a person can get to one.
  3. HMD

HMD Well-Known Member Supporter

I like my job, it's the people i have to deal with i don't like
  4. Jill Hives

Do you actually wake up and not dread part of your day? Do you actually get a sense of satisfaction and the end of the work day? Seriously?
  5. johnnystress

johnnystress Well-Known Member Supporter

"Sure aren't you lucky to have a job"
  6. Kid Lovebeach

Kid Lovebeach Well-Known Member

i work from home. sometimes for myself, sometimes for my dad.

pros:
    i'm in my pyjamas right now.
    if i wanted i could just stop and go for a walk / cycle right now, in fact i will do that in about an hour.
    no commuting.
    no asking for time off.
    some days there's nothing to do.
    I'm a pretty sound boss.

cons:
    it can sometimes be weeks and weeks and weeks before pay-day.
    i'm still living at home.
    if i did make enough money i could move out, but then i'd be commuting to my folks house every day for work, which would be weird and kinda pointless.
    some days there's nothing to do.
    I'm too sound a boss.
  7. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Well-Known Member

i work for myself but in the UK. i love my job but don't get paid nearly enough money for it.
  8. HMD

most days, yeah

a lot of the time, yeah
  9. Jill Hives

I envy you. Seriously.
  10. dudley

dudley Well-Known Member Staff Member Contributor

my bro and I work for ourselves and it's great. loads of freedom for personal things and it's enjoyable meaningful work. dreadful pay mind, but wouldn't change it for anything
  11. HMD

i'm easily pleased
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jill Hives

In general, so am I.

My office loves me today because I baked cookies last night. Maybe I need to ply them with more sweets.

I also got felt up by the cleaning lady this morning.

So far, it's been a good day.
  13. johnnystress

johnnystress Well-Known Member Supporter

This time next year you'll be miwionnaires

[​IMG]
  14. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Well-Known Member

if you're your own boss does having a wank count as sexual harrasment?
  15. SONYMEGADRIVE

SONYMEGADRIVE New Member

HOYO!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Theodore Kaczynski

Theodore Kaczynski Well-Known Member

if its in the workplace then yes.anyway,working for yourself can be ok i guess but the actual amount of hours worked can be bogey,i do 6 days a week,11-7 and then maybe another 2 hours when i get home plus 2/3 hours of a sunday .|..|
    it does allow me buy material possessions though.
  17. Lili Marlene

Lili Marlene Well-Known Member Contributor Supporter

if only I was good at something that I could actually hire myself for

maybe I could start writing trash novels. 'Throb. A thriller'. How much do those kind of authors make?
  18. egg_

egg_ Moderator Staff Member

Authors generally make fuck all I think. I think Terry Pratchett had written 3 books before he quit his day job

My job (I'm a programmer) is difficult and demanding, and sometimes I get a sense of satisfaction from doing it well, the kind of satisfaction you get from solving a puzzle. The rest of the time allowing myself to think about my job, about how much of my time it takes up, about how I imagined my life would be when I grew up, etc, brings me to the brink of emotional collapse, so I have to be careful to avoid doing so
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Jill Hives

I think if you don't view your job as something you need to get through each day only so you can enjoy your life on the outside ... you're ahead of the game. I envy those who have no college debt. I'll just keep mumbling to myself.... 2 more years.....2 more years.... 2 more years.
  20. moose

moose Born to raise hell. Staff Member Supporter

I work for myself or my da or freelance. Freelance is gone for the time being but working with my da or alone is grand. Pay is fairly shite but hours are great and I get away with not turning up pretty easy altough a missed day equals zero money with no exceptions.

I enjoy what I do too.
Thread Status:
This thread is more than 730 days old.