• Soft Bulletin

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Yoshimi

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • At War With They Mystic

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, I think these tribute albums are more of a side thing for wayne coyne that proper flaming lips things. The dark side of the moon one was a collaboration but I think this stone roses one and In The Court Of The Crimson King one are easily and best ignored. I'm getting very excited about The Terror. Steven Drozd sounds promising in this interview

Pitchfork: After the blast of Heady Fwends material, how did it feel returning to the act of putting together a more traditional release?
SD: There was a period of time-- and it’s not like this currently, which I’m glad about-- where Wayne had to be working on ten things at once or he wouldn’t be happy. There was a constant barrage of different stuff going in and out. I can’t even remember all the songs that I contributed to. I got to this point where there wasn't anything that new I wanted to try to do. So I was in this other studio by myself, just putting together sounds with no real agenda, and then it turned into something that was listenable to me. It was listenable to Wayne, too, and he wanted to further explore it.
Making this album wasn’t a struggle, and it wasn’t draining-- making a 24-hour song, now that was draining. At that point, you’re no longer doing it just for fun. You’re just saying, “Well, we have three hours of space that we have to fill.” After all of that stuff was done, this next phase we entered was a breath of fresh air.
Pitchfork: With so many projects going on at once, was there a point where you wondered if you guys would ever return to making proper albums?
SD: I was more worried that people would stop giving a shit about anything we did. I was worried that everyone, except the most hardcore and patient Flaming Lips fans, would just say, “Fuck, this is too much shit to even try to keep up with.” Then, my next thought was, “How are we going to make a record that people even care about?" To me, this is the follow-up to Embryonic, but maybe some people don't see it that way. I wasn't worried about us burning out-- I was worried about the fans.

gone from being bareable, to internet shock rock annoyance, to stone roses tribute act. seriously like.

I don't get it is someone forcing you to listen to them ? I admire their weird art projects ore than I actually enjoy them so I just kind of dip in and smile at their ridiculousness, then just go about my business until they release a proper record. Embryonic had some great tunes on it. I'll probably buy the next one. 24 hour songs and the likes are hardly "essential" Flaming Lips. If they stopped being mental they'd probably turn into Coldplay. Like U2 in a way.

I don't get it is someone forcing you to listen to them ? I admire their weird art projects ore than I actually enjoy them so I just kind of dip in and smile at their ridiculousness, then just go about my business until they release a proper record. Embryonic had some great tunes on it. I'll probably buy the next one. 24 hour songs and the likes are hardly "essential" Flaming Lips. If they stopped being mental they'd probably turn into Coldplay. Like U2 in a way.

yes, i am forced to listen to them...

well no i'm not. but i'm allowed to say if they are annoying me. being a bit wacky is their safe zone, thier coldplay, washingcattle.

the only wacky thing, really, is the ridiculous formats they're fond of, and the live props. Musically, it's pretty heads down serious. There were a few lovely things on some of the usb keys embedded in toys, jelly, skulls etc.

the only wacky thing, really, is the ridiculous formats they're fond of, and the live props. Musically, it's pretty heads down serious. There were a few lovely things on some of the usb keys embedded in toys, jelly, skulls etc.

I wanted to put an album out on a USB key inside a barn brack on hallowe'en. Then I heard they'd already done something similar, and we weren't finished by hallowe'en in both 2011 and 2012.

yes, i am forced to listen to them...

well no i'm not. but i'm allowed to say if they are annoying me. being a bit wacky is their safe zone, thier coldplay, washingcattle.

What I'm saying is just avoid them until they have an actual album out. I try not to deliberately do things that I know will annoy me. That said I am going to watch Everton vs Man United on sunday so maybe I do get what you're talking about.

Steven Drozd; said:
I hate those guys who've been making records for over thirty years and peaked in the mid-1970s, and they put a new record out in the present day and say 'I think this is the finest work I’ve ever done.'

So true

guys who've been making records for over thirty years and peaked in the mid-1970s

2013 - 30 = 1983.

guy has lost a decade somewhere.

doesn't wayne coyne actually say that, one sentence before or something anyways?? does he hate wayne coyne?

2013 - 30 = 1983.

guy has lost a decade somewhere.

doesn't wayne coyne actually say that, one sentence before or something anyways?? does he hate wayne coyne?

Ha, he's not necessarily referring to people saying these things in the year 2013 you jerk!

I would say Drozd is enough of a realist to understand that Wayne Coyne has become a bit of an arsehole. Remember that whole hullabaloo with Erykah Badu's sista?

Fucking hell, this new album The Terror is a BEAST.

Drozd took a trip back to the (beautifully) dark side recording this one, without a doubt.

YES! I was about to download it the other day when I read that the leaked version was very low quality so I'm holding out another bit. It's a while since I was this giddy about a forthcoming album. There a good interview with Wayne Coyne in mojo, he seems to be mid mid-life crisis.

I debated whether or not to listen to the leak too but the album is so good you totally forget how shitty the rip is. Coyne's vocals are beautifully understated and Drozd is in utterly inspired form. It's a bloody masterpiece!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back