Slint box set (2 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Out of curiosity,does Honor Role get a mention? I always thought Slint owed a huge debt to them,especially the first Slint record.

Never even heard of these guys. Just checked some live footage from CBGB's circa 1987. I see your point, but tonally, there's a huge sonic overlap between stacks of bands (Scratch Acid, Rifle Sport, Bitch Magnet and tons of other stuff I've never heard of) from the mid 80s, so trying to pinpoint exact influence is tricky. Vocally Honor Role is more like Rifle Sport (big rock singer over a dense, righteous hardcore set-up). Although Rifle Sport are essentially a scion of Mission of Burma (and perhaps all these bands are anyway). Tweez vocally is more in line with that Bitch Magnet brand of introspection. Sooyoung Park's resonant whispery vocals may have been influenced by McMahon Tweez or vice versa. Perhaps it's an inevitable overlap of musical ideas.

Slint allegedly tried to reform around '93 with future members of Tortoise including John Herndon who had been the drummer for Poster Children, Chicago prog merchants, that Steve Albini alleges were pilfered wholesale by Billy Corgan.

Never even heard of these guys. Just checked some live footage from CBGB's circa 1987.

That footage is insane,but the Rictus lp from a few years later(same year as Tweez funny enough,'89) is them at their best. A rare case of a band who got better with each record.

relented last weekend and bought the 3xLP set in freebird (because my wife wouldn't let the kids get if for me for my birthday... something about the name). i like bastro, codeine, seam, but somehow i'd skimmed over bitch magnet before now. no idea why.

TEMPORARY RESIDENCE LTD | SHOP

I didn't know this existed ......... might have to splash out on it.

Almost bought that Bitch Magnet set a few times but I think I have all the records already,maybe just need one 7" or something. Is there much in the way of a booklet or liner notes?

Almost bought that Bitch Magnet set a few times but I think I have all the records already,maybe just need one 7" or something. Is there much in the way of a booklet or liner notes?

no booklet, no liners. printed inners are replicas of the l.p. sleeves, otherwise a fold-out triple showing old gig flyers. seems a couple of the b-sides are missing too - pea and ducks & drakes (live). it has half a dozen alternate mixes, but otherwise just the l.p. tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back