1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neutral Milk Hotel

Discussion in 'General' started by Unclealo, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 730 days old.
  1. Unclealo

Unclealo Uncle Alo

These guys are deadly. Just got "In an Aeroplane over the sea" and it is mental.
    • Like Like x 1

2. billygannon

billygannon Well-Known Member Contributor

Vhat do they sound like?
  3. Unclealo

Unclealo Uncle Alo

Acousticy folk with mad psycadelic bits thrown in (bag pipes, banjos, musical saws, droney things and lyrics like "I love you Jesus Christ"
  4. krystal

krystal New Member

try the music tapes. There is some NMH connection (as there is with the olivia tremor control - I think) with them, and they are rather fantastic psychedelic unsaness. Also, very nice cd packaging.
  5. Wheels

Wheels Well-Known Member

I remember these guys. I taped that song 'everything is' off the Evening Session about 7 years ago, and used to scowl freebird looking for them. I just presumed I'd got the name wrong or something.
  6. nEiLo

nEiLo Well-Known Member

Jesus is just alright with me, jesus is just alright, oh yeah
    Jesus is just alright with me, jesus is just alright

I don’t care what they may say
    I don’t care what they may do
    I don’t care what they may say
    Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
    Jesus is just alright

I don’t care what they may know
    I don’t care where they may go
    I don’t care what they may know
    Jesus is just alright, oh yeah

Jesus, he’s my friend; jesus, he’s my friend
    He took me by the hand; led me far from this land
    Jesus, he’s my friend

I don’t care what they may say, I don’t care what they may do
    I don’t care what they may say, jesus is just alright, oh yeah
  7. photon

photon Well-Known Member

It's an awesome album. The first track(s), "The King of Carrot Flowers Parts I, II & III", is one of the most amazing pieces of psychedelia I've heard anytime, anywhere, and the rest of the album is nearly as good. I believe Mr and Ms Minka are also huge fans.

Their other album, "On Avery Album" is also great, if not quite up to the level of "Aeroplane". Still worth checking out, though.

Paul
  8. photon

photon Well-Known Member

Er, that's the Doobie Brothers, not the Byrds, right? Or is it a cover?

Paul
  9. photon

photon Well-Known Member

Never mind. I checked, and the Doobie Bros' version is indeed a cover of the Byrds song.

Paul
  10. minka

minka New Member

ayup, we loves our nmh in our house. and i'm with you on "on avery island" not being quite as good, but still worth a listen.
  11. hermie

hermie Well-Known Member

two-headed boy is my favourite song on it.was there not another thread like this not too long ago?
  12. nEiLo

nEiLo Well-Known Member

WATTS WAS WRONG SHOCKER!:D
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Unclealo

Unclealo Uncle Alo

Pantone was talking about them I think. Pantone knows his shit.
  14. photon

photon Well-Known Member

Bah. And it is indeed "On Avery Island", not "Album", as Lisa subtly pointed out.

Not enough coffee today, obviously.

Paul
    • Like Like x 1
  15. kevin gallen

kevin gallen Well-Known Member

yay for the elephant 6 collective

apples in stereo
    beulah
    olivia tremor control
    sunshine fix
    neutral milk hotel

an indie pop boys dream
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Unclealo

Unclealo Uncle Alo

Which albums from OTC and Apples in Stereo should I check out?
  17. photon

photon Well-Known Member

Dunno if it's their best, but I have "Black Foliage" from Olivia Tremor Control and like it quite a bit. I'm sure someone else who knows them better can give you a more useful recommendation, though.

Paul
  18. kevin gallen

kevin gallen Well-Known Member

for the apples "The Discovery of a World Inside the Moone" is my fav also love
    "Her Wallpaper Reverie" . or if ya prefer straight ahead short buzzy guitar songs instead of their normal layered sound check out "velocity of sound".
  19. jack nance hair

jack nance hair Active Member

`

Apples - Start at the beginning Fun Trick Noisemaker and Tone Soul Evolution are my favourites. FTM was all recorded on four track, and sounds amazing. Similarly, the album that I listen to most from OTC is Dusk at the Cubist Castle (which I think is their first) - some great psychedelic pop. One of the best gigs I was ever at was Neutral Milk Hotel/Olivia Tremor Control/Music Tapes in Sweden in about '98(?). Everybody was in everyone elses band to the point that it was difficult to understand which band was actually on at any one time.

I haven't listened to much of the whole Elephant 6 stuff in the last few years, but that Neutral Milk Hotel album is never far from the turntable.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. stunning

stunning Well-Known Member

I really was praying someone would do an NMilkH song for the Food Hoot.

King of Carrot Flowers is just incredible and it would have earned double points on the theme...

Also could work this song into the PLANTS Hoot and/or the ROYALTY Hoot. Hmmm...
Thread Status:
This thread is more than 730 days old.