music documentaries (1 Viewer)

You know the "bar" across the bottom of the youtube screen? On the right hand side there are little shapes,the one third from right,it's square with a couple of straight lines across it.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/germicide_darby_crash_suicide_pact_described_in_the_first_person

"Surfpunks, a 1981 Dutch made-for-TV documentary vacillates wildly from rapturous to heartbreaking. Aside from footage of well-known bands like (a very young) Suicidal Tendencies, there’s deeper cuts, like a bit on little-known experimental family band, Unit 3 with Venus (their shrieking eight-year-old daughter on vocals). It’s also a really personal look at the tragedy and destitution of the scene.

The main reason for watching, however, is a brutally naked interview with Casey “Cola” Hopkins, who offers extensive details of her suicide pact gone awry with Darby Crash. Hopkins, of course, survived, only to be maligned by her peers and bounced in and out of mental institutions over the next few years. Accounts of Hopkins vary, but it’s fairly agreed upon that the primarily female, fanatical Germs’ followers, known as “Circle One,” disliked and mistrusted her. It’s difficult to figure out who’s reliable in a cultish environment of young drug addicts, but from the footage, one thing seems certain: Casey’s a depressed, lonely young woman, and it’s hard not to have some sympathy for her.

On a lighter note, you can see footage of the self-described “all-American Jewish Lesbian folk singer,” Phranc, performing startlingly earnest protest songs. Taking (understandable) issue with the petulant punk trend of sporting (supposedly de-signified) swastikas, she manages to make her legitimate anger stand out from a scene hallmarked by chaos and screaming, with sincere, literal lyrics and an acoustic guitar. Phranc even plays us out, with a sly but optimistic anti-suicide song.

The whole thing is great, and aside from a few spots of Dutch narration, you get to hear the snotty California accents of the young early 1980s punks."

Thsi si fucking ESSENTIAL viewing

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm getting wound the fuck up watching this.

I'll be writing a song tonight

Jazes..I've never heard "Its Hard"

Going by the tune in this I don't think I'll bother either

Just watched 'not dead yet' on Netflix. It's the story of guitarist Jason Becker. It's as much about his awesome family as his music. His father is an inspiration. Check it out.

That MC5 one is great,I had a dvd of it years ago but lent it to someone and.....

There are supposedly a bunch of different edits of it too.

shame it'll probably never get legit release at this stage.

Don't think this was posted already, compulsory viewing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back