HMV's fucked (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 343
  • Views 32K
  • Watchers 7
the record shops that have remained open where I am have done so by focusing on vinyl, or by becoming youth culture shops that sell records

Buckets of t-shirts, plastic comic book characters, all that lark.

Good luck to them
I presume the one by Harvard Square is long gone?

I made manys a CD purchase in there.

Did anyone hear the HMV guy (head of digital or something) being interviewed by Anton Savage on The Last Word yesterday? HMV guy was on to do a bit of talking up about the HMV app & Anton rightly so ripped him apart. HMV guy was "we're a trusted source", "provide a great experience" and other bullshit marketing terms. Anton said they're way too late to the party, everyone has already eaten their dinner & no one cares about HMV anymore.

Did anyone hear the HMV guy (head of digital or something) being interviewed by Anton Savage on The Last Word yesterday? HMV guy was on to do a bit of talking up about the HMV app & Anton rightly so ripped him apart. HMV guy was "we're a trusted source", "provide a great experience" and other bullshit marketing terms. Anton said they're way too late to the party, everyone has already eaten their dinner & no one cares about HMV anymore.

yeah i heard that. they guy's answer to most things seemed to be "because we're h.m.v." and any goodwill that had built up for the 'brand' since the closure was lost in his sense of entitlement. i could've done a better job of justifying their late arrival myself.

yeah i heard that. they guy's answer to most things seemed to be "because we're h.m.v." and any goodwill that had built up for the 'brand' since the closure was lost in his sense of entitlement. i could've done a better job of justifying their late arrival myself.

My record scouting days started from around 1994 & I never had any real love for HMV. A high-street record store like them would have to carry a fairly comprehensive catalog of music to lure me in door even for just a browse nowadays.

Pre-HMV downfall, I wonder what were their sales breakdown of music/t-shirts/DVDs/Beats headphones? All I can remember of HMV in the 00's was aisles of 3 for €20 DVDs.

The vinyl section is Liffey Valley is bizarre. Acid Mothers Temple? Spiritual Beggars? Loads of copies of the 7" picture disc of Out In The Fields(and stuff like Neneh Cherry,Tubular Bells,Japan etc etc)? Tons of way expensive picture discs in general?

when rover (car makers) where falling to shit, some consortium or other took over them to 'reinvigorate' the thing. instead they just paid themselves fuckloads of wages and pummelled the company into the ground. HMV would be a good brand to do something like that with.

when rover (car makers) where falling to shit, some consortium or other took over them to 'reinvigorate' the thing. instead they just paid themselves fuckloads of wages and pummelled the company into the ground. HMV would be a good brand to do something like that with.

Isn't that how Mitt Romney got rich?

Media Release

November 5th, 2013

HMV LAUNCHES hmv.ie

HMV today announced the launch of its new Irish website, hmv.ie. The site, which will go live on Wednesday 6th November at 3.00pm, is the latest move by HMV to strengthen its position as the country’s leading entertainment retailer.

The launch of the new HMV website for Northern Ireland, hmvireland.co.uk, will follow shortly.

hmv.ie will be launched as a fully transactional website, with consumers able to purchase the same extensive range available in all HMV stores. Products will be added on a daily basis, ensuring that the range featured on the site reflects the in-store offerings. hmv.ie will also be fully transactional on smartphones.

Acknowledging the time pressures of today’s busy lifestyles, hmv.ie will offer a choice of convenient delivery options; either to your door or collect from any HMV or Xtravision store; all of which are open late seven days a week. The site will also offer guaranteed next day delivery when using Express checkout, based on orders placed before 3pm that day. Consumers spending €50 or more in one transaction will be able to avail of free home delivery.

In addition, consumers will be able to pre-order DVDs and games, ensuring release day delivery once the express shipping option is selected.

Larry Howard, Chief Executive of Hilco Capital Ireland, owners of HMV and Xtra-vision, said: “The launch of hmv.ie, and the imminent arrival of hmvireland.co.uk marks an important development for HMV in Ireland, as we are now able to offer consumers the choice of visiting one of our five ‘bricks and mortar’ stores, or purchasing directly online. It was particularly important for us to have hmv.ie go live in the run up to Christmas. This period is traditionally one of the busiest times of year for online retailing, and now hmv.ie customers will be able to purchase from our unrivalled range of music, films and games at their convenience.”

Consumers can still shop at any of the 5 HMV stores in Ireland, at Dundrum Town Centre, Henry Street and Liffey Valley in Dublin; at the Crescent Shopping Centre in Limerick or the newly opened store at the Quays Shopping Centre in Newry; or at one of the 31 integrated Xtra-vision and HMV stores located throughout the country.

ENDS

My local xtravision is now hmv/extravision. They've added a large music section. Mostly popular news stuff and cheapish old classics. It's something. Reign in blood for a fiver.

My local xtravision is now hmv/extravision. They've added a large music section. Mostly popular news stuff and cheapish old classics. It's something. Reign in blood for a fiver.

my local xtravision is now an empty shop

HMV expands digital presence in Ireland

HMV today announced the launch of hmvdigital.ie, marking the first phase of HMV’s re-entry into digital entertainment since the company was acquired by Hilco Capital in April.

In addition, HMV’s new smartphone app is now live in the iOS and Google Play app stores. The innovative app, which is available free of charge for Apple and Android devices, allows users to shop, look and listen by combining image search and sound search technology with high quality MP3 downloads for the first time.

To mark the launch, hmvdigital.ie is giving away a selection of classic Christmas songs, with festive classics from artists including Frank Sinatra, Eartha Kitt, Dean Martin and Chuck Berry available as a free download. This week the site also has a special Boyzone feature page promoting the band’s latest album BZ20 alongside their back catalogue, as well as a featured Britney Spears page, supporting her Album of the Week.

Alongside the Album of the Week, hmvdigital.ie’s home page will also feature must have music, new and trending releases, and on tour sections, promoting artists currently touring live around Ireland. There will also be specific genre pages for rock, pop, dance, hip-hop, R&B, soundtracks, compilations and metal with featured releases.

Shop

Hmvdigital.ie offers users the opportunity to browse HMV’s digital catalogue and buy or pre-order MP3s. MP3 purchases are added to the user’s digital locker, and a Download Manager seamlessly integrates purchases into the user’s existing iTunes or Windows Media library on their PC or Mac. Tracks are available in high quality mp3 format in 320 kbs.

Capture

Image Search enables users to scan CD or album covers with their Apple or Android phone to access 30 second track previews and buy MP3 downloads. In HMV’s stores, Image Search provides a 21st century take on the music store listening booths of old. At home or on the move, users can scan album artwork on posters or adverts to preview and buy music.

Listen

Sound Search lets users discover the tunes they hear around them every day, whether it’s the music playing in store at HMV or at the track playing on the radio, and buy an MP3 download immediately or pick up a copy on CD or vinyl from their local HMV.

Commenting on the launch of hmvdigital.ie, James Coughlan, Managing Director of HMV Digital said: “"We’ve had an extremely positive response following the Android app launch back in October. Today we launch hmvdigital.ie and a mobile optimised store allowing music fans to preview and download high quality mp3s on multiple devices. Alongside, I’m pleased to say that iOS users in Ireland can now access the HMV image and sound search features everyone is talking about!"

Paul McGowan, CEO of HMV owners Hilco Capital added: "HMV’s position at the heart of entertainment retail demands that we enable customers to buy their music from HMV in the way that best suits them and to engage more closely with the music, video and gaming worlds.”

“Integrating a ‘listening post’ Image Search feature will enhance the shopping experience as music fans scan and sample albums in store over our newly-fitted high speed wifi before deciding to buy either the physical or digital product direct from HMV.”

ENDS

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back