Failte Towers (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 75
  • Views 18K
  • Watchers 2
The show itself is a piece of shit alright but Dons a legend on the aul harp. I saw him in play in howth in around 91 or 92 and afterwards he did a meet and greet with the fans. I remember him tearing through the silk cut ultras. Lighting one off the other.

Funny to see Bibi Baskin back on telly.

Its just the latest in an endless line of embarrassing attempts that irish tv has made trying clone a winning formula from the mainland.

That hopeless presenter with the gap in his teeth isn't good enough to present saturday morning kids tv.

Amazing to see Brian Dowling still freewheeling off big brother. Knob.

Don is my sister in law's partner's da and he's about to become a grandpa. I haven't met him, but yah, he seems kinda okay. His grandkid is gonna be mad cute, too. And I think it was a mistake of Patricia McKenna to do the show, although she was the only one trying to convince everyone just to get over the nudist thing and act like adults.

They need to drop the 'charity' angle of this shit. Trying to bring it off as worthy is just embarrassing. And they seem to be using 'charity' as an apology for the show's shitness. "Remember, folks, these people are in here JUST to raise money for charity." Bullshit, my hole, etc. Just give up. Or at least do like CBB and kind of play it down so you can have people eating out of kitty dishes on the floor.

They also keep trying to be mates with everyone -- the 'celebrities', the viewers, the charities, the crowd outside, the viewer, etc. They need to figure out whom they're exploiting and just exploit the fuck out of them. You can see that the camera people and the 'stars' are starting to get matey, or trying to be matey. The camera people should keep their mouths TOTALLY SHUT when the 'stars' are talking to camera. That way, it will make them more uncomfortable, and possibly more amusingly mental. They need to have the phone lines for voting people OUT, not 'saving' them.

The show tries far too hard, but it also tries wrong. If they want to know how to do the formula right, the one that works in the UK and in the US, they need shit like a really good fucking story editor/producer. It's far more manipulative of people's personalities and conflicts, but it's what makes My Super Sweet 16 so fucking hilarious, engrossing, and uncomfortable. But this shit is just embarrassing, which is not what you want the viewer to feel.

They're trying a bit of creativity in the setup, with all the puke and blocked toilets, and bringing in the Dutch nudists, but what they really need is to be a bit clever with every aspect of production.

That and the exploitation. You can't make good reality TV without being exploitive, and without making something that feels a bit wrong to do. And it should feel a bit wrong to watch it. You can't have it both ways, and that's one thing that Irish reality TV tries to do, and is part of what's wrong with Irish TV in general. They have a gimmick that isn't fleshed out, and which just becomes boring very quickly, and they don't build creativity into the technical process. So long as editing isn't seen as a creative task, the reality TV will continue to be total shit. The editor is probably the most important person on the production team in this case. They should be the funniest assholes you know.

One thing that I feel sad about is the disproportionate amount of shite media that is produced, when there are perfectly intelligent, creative and interesting people around who are willing and able to do a much better job. There is something really fucking core missing, lacking, or totally misguided, and maybe I'm on the wrong track because I haven't worked in it much, but it just seems like it shouldn't be as crap as it is. It's not just the tyranny of low expectations, either. If that were the case, there would probably be more exceptions to the crapness, and there are very, very few.

Ugh.

Sorry. Rant over.

Anyway, Scutter, just remember what I have to always tell myself at this time of year: "Not all celebrities are famous."

They're trying a bit of creativity in the setup, with all the puke and blocked toilets, and bringing in the Dutch nudists, but what they really need is to be a bit clever with every aspect of production.

they should all be in the nude. That'd make way better TV.

And it should feel a bit wrong to watch it.

not sure if 'wrong' is the right word. I think I felt more 'dirty' after watching it. 'Dirty' in a way that no amount of scrubbing could ever cleanse.

Anyway, Scutter, just remember what I have to always tell myself at this time of year: "Not all celebrities are famous."

good point. Now I'm slightly peeved that I wasn't asked on it. Especially since I kind of know one of the presenters.

Sorry for the selective responses.

they should all be in the nude. That'd make way better TV.

The thing is, it wouldn't make better TV. It would be funny for about two seconds. There's this massive disconnect in TV here, where the concept is funny, but it ends up just being button-pushing. Shit isn't produced with regard to sense, just 'by the book', most likely (in my meagre experience) by the people who are least likely to challenge the authority of the senior members of the team. And they certainly don't challenge the concept.

But concepts can't carry you through. What's funny in a production meeting doesn't always work on TV.

I don't know how to make amazing reality TV, or amazing TV at all for that matter.

But it can be done with low production values, so long as people are faithful to quality of some kind. I saw one or two episodes of Consuming Passions. And it was really fucking good. It wasn't exploitive at all, which it shouldn't have been -- it was just really good, and watchable, and not patronising at all. There are some very good documentaries, too. It's not impossible.

"Summary: Our world is doomed."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reality TV should be the party at the end of the world, not a fucking attempt to save it, or even look for good in it. It should be a chance to high-five our inner demons like the cocksucking, pissfucking shitheads we all really are.

Yeah you're right. I think I just said that cos part of me really wants to see Bibi Baskin in the nip.

Shes hawwwwt!

That's the old call-in classic, right?

A segment asking people were they'd like to be buried.

Gerry Ryan: - "Would you like to be buried or cremated?"
Caller: "Oh, buried Gerry."
Gerry Ryan: "And where would you like to be buried?"
Caller: "Up to me bollix in Bibi Baskin!"

WHO THE HELL IS BIBI BASKIN?

BTW, whoever decided to do the voxpops with locals should get a bonus. It could have been a bit more daring, but it was pretty funny. Would have been a lot funnier if the whole series was done in that way, though.

WHO THE HELL IS BIBI BASKIN?

She used to host an incredibly lame chat show called Bibi in the 80s/90s. Shes from Donegal and was known for throwing in the odd focail as Gaeilge sporadically during sentences.

Shes owned and run a hotel in India for the last 10 years.

She used to host an incredibly lame chat show called Bibi in the 80s/90s. Shes from Donegal and was known for throwing in the odd focail as Gaeilge sporadically during sentences.

Shes owned and run a hotel in India for the last 10 years.

I think she 'came out' a few years back, and that was the end of her, cos doing that in Catholic Ireland in them days was an offense punishable by banishment to India.

My next door neighbour growing up used to boast to me that his older sister lived next door to Bibi Baskin in Dublin 4. She and he had their heads lodged so far up their own holes that they could see daylight out the back of their throats. Needles to say, said boast did not impress me at all.

Edit: Wasn't it Dermot Morgan who used to call her 'Bibi Bastard'?

Reminds me of the famous radio anecdote:

Gerry Ryan: (during a discussion on whether people would like to be buried or cremated when they die) - "Would you like to be buried or cremated?"

Caller: "Oh, buried Gerry."

Gerry Ryan: "And where would you like to be buried?"

Caller: "Balls deep in Bibi Baskin!"

So is Bibi a lesbian then?! I never knew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back