Fact Mag's 100 Best Albums Of The 70s (1 Viewer)

Ambitious....

surprised to see Sex Pistols in lower end. But... not that surprised I guess.

Last edited:
So they had Aphex Twin as the best of the 90s and some guy I'd never heard of for the 80s

Is this a pure chinstrokers mag?

this is their mandate for the list

As with previous lists, we’ve sought to represent the period in all its diversity. As ever, this is not some hoary retelling of The Canon™, nor is it a beardier-than-thou list for contrarians and Discogs gollums. Rather, these are 100 records we simply couldn’t live without – records that have shaped our collections, our favourite artists’ collections and, in ways big and small, the development of popular music in the late 20th century.

Their 80's list seems to be dance and hip-hop heavy, with the occasional punk and pop album thrown in to make it look like they know or care about these things. Considering it didn't even have Purple Rain it's clearly a load of nonsense.

But hey, a list of albums i probably haven't heard of that are worth checking out, I'm game.

[QUOTE
But hey, a list of albums i probably haven't heard of that are worth checking out, I'm game.[/QUOTE]

exactly.

this is their mandate for the list

Their 80's list seems to be dance and hip-hop heavy, with the occasional punk and pop album thrown in to make it look like they know or care about these things. Considering it didn't even have Purple Rain it's clearly a load of nonsense.

But hey, a list of albums i probably haven't heard of that are worth checking out, I'm game.

Did it have Parade?

Did it have Parade?

Sign O the Times. The safest choice for people who don't really know what they're talking about but want to make it look like they do. In the same way the only Britpop representation from the 90's was by Pulp.

But anyway, it makes the 70's list even more interesting as hip hop and electronic stuff was pretty primitive back then, right?

Sign O the Times. The safest choice for people who don't really know what they're talking about but want to make it look like they do. In the same way the only Britpop representation from the 90's was by Pulp.

But anyway, it makes the 70's list even more interesting as hip hop and electronic stuff was pretty primitive back then, right?

Yeah, my Rub compilations only go back to 1979

But electronic gear spans the whole 70s I'd have thought. Can and all that gear anyway.

It'll make a good counterpoint to the standard Rolling Stone, NME and Pitchfork lists anyway.

Last edited:
Ambitious....

surprised to see Sex Pistols in lower end. But... not that surprised I guess.

Immensely overrated album, especially when you look at most of the stuff they are putting alongside it. Can, Harmonia, Bernard Parmegiani, Ghadelia Tazartes, Don Cherry, Charlemagne Palestine: all visionaries who fundamentally changed music in their own ways. The Sex Pistols: a rock and roll rehash who sold a fashion style. The tunes are all right but out of all the albums released in the 70s, I'd be hard pushed to put them into the top 100 myself.

my money's on this for #1

spanish-train-and-other-stories-526dab6f32ed6.jpg

Immensely overrated album, especially when you look at most of the stuff they are putting alongside it. Can, Harmonia, Bernard Parmegiani, Ghadelia Tazartes, Don Cherry, Charlemagne Palestine: all visionaries who fundamentally changed music in their own ways. The Sex Pistols: a rock and roll rehash who sold a fashion style. The tunes are all right but out of all the albums released in the 70s, I'd be hard pushed to put them into the top 100 myself.
mmm, I know what you mean, but I would say that the Sex Pistols album is such a totem of a fundamental change in how a lot of the western world worked (media-wise, and yes I do mean that) that it has way more wider impact than any musical visionary who can only ever appeal to the those already in the know and those actively seeking out music that pushes certain boundaries. So no, I would not say it's overrated, not at all.

Last edited:
I don't deny its cultural value but in terms of what are the best (as opposed to influential or innovative outside of the actual music) albums of the 1970s, does it really rate? It's a bit like Nevermind, it's a good album but it's not one of the best of the 1990s (even if you take Nirvana's albums alone, there's a better case for the others over this one). However, outside of the music contained therein, it is important.

Ha, 'best' albums couldn't be any more subjective if it tried. I get more from a T. Rex album than some muso lads exploring the boundaries of electronic polyrhythm soundscapes or whatever. You'd be a fool to think that there is a 'best' art.

NMTB is easily one of the best albums of the 70's.

Without a question.

Its a sonic masterpiece

Mind you,I've hardly heard any of the ones in that list.

Some of them look like they might be a bit on the "difficult" spectrum.

But I will certainly check some of them out

oh..that looks like a great read..nice one Dudley!

Ha, 'best' albums couldn't be any more subjective if it tried. I get more from a T. Rex album than some muso lads exploring the boundaries of electronic polyrhythm soundscapes or whatever. You'd be a fool to think that there is a 'best' art.

Well best according to me or best according to you or best according to Fact magazine are obviously going to be different but surely you would rate albums higher than others based on how good you think they are and it doesn't always fit with things like how influential or well known they are. For example, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is on there and I think that's fair, it's a really good album and even if it isn't experimental or edgy, it is still a far better collection of music (for me anyway) than Never Mind the Bollocks or even some of the "cooler" choices I mentioned above.

The thing with Never Mind the Bollocks is that the holy scriptures of music journalism will have you believe that before The Sex Pistols that things were safe, boring and in need of shaking up. That might be true if you only listened to the Osmonds or Genesis but for I'll never forget my disappointment as a teenager when I first listened to Never Mind the Bollocks. I had expected something close to the apocalypse based on all I had read and instead I got bog standard rock and roll with a little bit of a sneer.

Granted I had the fruits of about 20 years worth of music made in The Sex Pistols' wake to prepare me for that first listen but I can't really see that having grown up so long after punk broke could really reduce the power of this supposed new dawn. If it is as brilliant as it was made out to be then it would still hold the same or similar power like any other classic or influential or timeless piece of music. That's led me to believe that The Sex Pistols' legacy has less with them being a music group and more to do with them cursing on TV and making punk fashionable. Where was the nihilism and the sense of danger in their music? When I listened to The Stooges or The Velvet Underground or Joy Division or whatever, they all had something which cut through the intervening decades which I found lacking in The Sex Pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back