Does vinyl sound better? (1 Viewer)

ah, my thread

decent article in the guardian today:

Vinyl’s difficult comeback | John Harris | Music | The Guardian

She bounced up and pulled two vinyl copies of the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds from her shelves, and played God Only Knows from each one. The first, on a “remastered” version from 1999, sounded underwhelming: compressed, light on bass, palpably small. But the second, on an early 70s pressing which had been packaged up with a largely awful album titled Carl And The Passions – So Tough, was expansive, packed with nuance. The most stunning element was the vocal performance of the late Carl Wilson: so fresh and intimate that it seized my attention as though we were having a conversation.

So not all new vinyl sounds perfect. Indeed, Murphy reckoned, as big labels stampeded to get involved, and inexperienced startups joined them, there was a danger of vinyl’s magic being debased.

Last edited:
Is it 4 Men with Beards they're alluding to as the shady re-issue label? Some of their cover reproductions are a joke anyway. Lilith are the worst 'reissue' label I've heard yet though.

I'm wondering who it is as well. What makes you say it's the 4 Men with Beards people?

I'm wondering who it is as well. What makes you say it's the 4 Men with Beards people?

They haven't got a great reputation, lots of reports of them using off the shelf CDs as masters for their vinyl reissues and variable quality rates. Occasionally they do remaster properly and do a great job but you need to do your homework to know before you buy.

Yep that split one with QOTSA and just when the bass starts for that bridge in Into the Void the fucking thing glitches! It's hilarious. I kept it as a souvenir.

I had a bit of a mourn for my old collection last night.
First time I've missed it.

Ahh well..cest la vie.I'm not starting another one

51rhvr.jpg

Interesting that by 1983/1984, when CD's had just launched (and I assume very few people could afford them?), that vinyl album sales were already half the amount they were in the mid 70's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back