1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossing borders with rental cars.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ratmonkey, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 730 days old.
  1. ratmonkey

ratmonkey New Member

Any one know if any nice car rental company will allow you to drop off the car in a different country without charging a horrible fee for so doing?
    Specifically, I'm talking collecting car in France, dropping it in Spain.

2. broken arm

broken arm New Member

I got stung for about 350 quid!!!!! for dropping a car at a different rental office across a border. even though it was specified in the order that we were dropping off at different locations but they neglected to include the extra cost in the quote - we only found out when we arrived at the airport. They even told us that the car was from the belfast office when we picked it up in cork. well actually work paid for it but still.

p.s.DON'T RENT A CAR FROM BUDGET RENTAL

try AVIS - have always been good. They may have different rules on the drop off.

I know they have different rules on other things e.g. most rental companies insist that the driver has to be the credit card holder for the payment, no questions. I was in spain recently and my card was lifted and had to be cancelled but Avis allowed us to us my g/f card even though I was the driver. sound.

you can also offset your carbon emissions with avis for a small fee (debatable but whatever)
  3. RSJ

RSJ Well-Known Member

Tried to rent a car last week but people want you to have your full licence with a full year. I've it since november. Anyone who'll let you away with having it for less?
  4. broken arm

broken arm New Member

mmmmm. i doubt it.
  5. george mcfly

george mcfly Well-Known Member

Dan Dooley allow it
    was reasonable enough for us to hire a van from them and take it to the uk
  6. error type 11

error type 11 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience of car rental in Cork and getting a ferry to the Uk with it? Ive been asked about it here at work and my experience only stretches as far as taking a van to Belfast
  7. bad cop

bad cop Member

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 730 days old.