why are there so many threads started by men on thumped about how shit women are? (1 Viewer)

I started a 'jobs men can't do thread' out of equality.

and silliness.

also pete, one of those links is to give sweetoblivion rep, is it supposed to be?

Well you did say they were a regular occurence, then went on to list two, (although you said yourself one of them wasn't a particularly relevant example of what you initially stated was a problem here).

Then you said "the one about about women not being funny", a thread started to discuss a piece on Newsnight abut why women aren't funny, and not to attack women here for not being funny.

edit: and again, i'm not denying there's sexism / sexist comments here. My problem is that you based this thread on what appears to be a fundamentally flawed hypothesis and in doing so have applied a totally unfair sweeping generalisation against the people who post here.

why is it that I am continually getting attacked?
I did not say at any point that all the men on thumped are sexist. I don't think Thumped is a sexist board. However, I have noticed over the past year or so that every now and again threads like the ones I mentioned have cropped up. I don't think there is any need for a thread about jobs women can't do, or where people can post pictures of naked women with guitars. But it's not just the individual threads I am talking about - it is sexist comments made by people. Pete, I'm not attacking the board, and I didn't apply a totally unfair sweeping generalisation against the people who post here. To me, any number of sexist threads is too much. So when I say 'so many' that is what I believe to be 'many'. People can put up a thread saying 'jobs women can't do' and they aren't attacked and yet here I am, 50 or so pages later getting continually attacked?

Something's gone wrong here.

You are continually attacked/questioned because people disagree with you.

The whole point of that girls with guitars thread was to ridicule the stupid ads they have for guitars

girls with guitars thread said:
I love all those stupid pictures on ebay where it has "AMAZING 1973 GIBSON LES PAUL GOLDTOP" and then shows a picture of a scantily clad girl.

you can't ignore me forever

This is amazing I've reading thumped for ages before I joined up. And suddenly it seems to have gotten alot more heated /abusive towards everyone in the past week or so since this particular thread was started. Its amazing what people will say behind the security of the internet - both male and female

it's more about a general attitude which has become rather prominant lately from posters who seem to think that they are allowed to get away with saying whatever obnoxious shit they want.

This is amazing I've reading thumped for ages before I joined up. And suddenly it seems to have gotten alot more heated /abusive towards everyone in the past week or so since this particular thread was started. Its amazing what people will say behind the security of the internet - both male and female

it's all your fault

I think it's shocking that people are piss-taking about what I consider to be a very serious subject. The reason why you are piss-taking is because you don't have a clue about the subject and you are completely ignorant about feminism and sexism. If you weren't, you would have seen my point.
Just because I have an MA in women's studies does not mean I think my beliefs are better than anyone elses. I am, however, extremely well-read on the subject, as are Brian, Jane and many other members of the forum. So our opinions can be backed up by fact/studies/articles/books whereas most of the opinions expressed on here were nothing but cheap attempts to demean my thread, and me and any other women/feminists on here.
I am not a nazi. If anything, it is the people on here who are expressing sexist or prejudiced - or nasty - opinions who are the 'nazis'. I simply questioned - and still question - the prevalence of threads that were negatively questioning women in what I believe is a sexist manner.
I am just as entitled to my opinion as you are Rampz, however most of the bitchiness here has led me to believe that opinions like my own - and of the other feminists/anti-sexists on here - are not welcome on this board.
Because of that, I feel extremely sad.
I did feel angry, but now I feel sad.
It is sad that I cannot come on here and express a valid opinion without someone stamping on it and labelling me as a man-hating nazi.
It is sad that some of you are blind to what sexism is when you quite clearly say/write sexist things.
It is sad that after 2007+ years women are still not equal in the world.
It is sad that simply because I want women and men to be on an equal footing, I am ridiculed, called names, receive abusive de-reps from cowards and am made to feel unwelcome on a forum.

If anything however, all this has made me even more firm in my beliefs. I am a feminist, and for that I will never be sorry.

i think it's maybe not so much what you're saying as the way you're saying it. telling people they're wrong to make jokes because they just don't understand what they're really saying (whereas you do) is inviting a negative response

i think it's maybe not so much what you're saying as the way you're saying it. telling people they're wrong to make jokes because they just don't understand what they're really saying (whereas you do) is inviting a negative response

em, I only said that it that one post that you quoted.
I didn't say it anywhere else.
I know the difference between what's a joke and what isn't.
Some people think sexism is funny, however.
I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back