New York (2 Viewers)

Super Dexta said:
-ferry around manahattan
I'd give that a miss if I were you. It takes hours and is only good for the first half hour or so, then you realise that you are looking at somewhere that you want to be.

The open-top bus tours are good. They do one that goes to Brooklyn and all over Manhattan. You go over the Brooklyn Bridge and see the city from a distance too.

Wilbert said:
I'd give that a miss if I were you. It takes hours and is only good for the first half hour or so, then you realise that you are looking at somewhere that you want to be.

The open-top bus tours are good. They do one that goes to Brooklyn and all over Manhattan. You go over the Brooklyn Bridge and see the city from a distance too.
ah but i can't not do it. acquaintance of mine who's there for a few months is all into taking us out on it and giving us the guided tour spiel and so on, and i've already said i will.

Super Dexta said:
ah but i can't not do it. acquaintance of mine who's there for a few months is all into taking us out on it and giving us the guided tour spiel and so on, and i've already said i will.
If the weather is nice, it'll be fine but it can be very cold in New York in February. Coldest weather I've ever felt.

Wilbert said:
If the weather is nice, it'll be fine but it can be very cold in New York in February. Coldest weather I've ever felt.
so i'm told. 22 inches of snow the other day! but then it melted :(

Brooklyn. go to bedford avenue and see where all the trust fund trendies hang out! Spent most of my time there. Go to Diner which is an old railway car converted into a diner. it's cool. Berry st. williamsburg, brooklyn across from Peter Luger Steakhouse, get JMZ to Marcy ave.. Its cheap too. what else? I love nolita though, Elizabeth street etc. on lower east side.And the west village is gorgeos but very gay. if you wanna see statue. get the free ferry to staten island and back. this gives you the best view.
Trash bar in brooklyn is good for gigs as is bowery ballroom.

eat lots of pizza and go to Central Park for hours on end. Go onto the running track in central park and walk really slowly the opposite way to everyone else, this annoys them greatly. JFK is surprisingly a really really easy airport to deal with and to get to. the taxis have a set fare for going to the airport and it's not too much, otherwise the shuttle bus is cheap and easy.

For romanticy meals in Manhattan (reservations necessary):

1. Gramercy Tavern (42 east 20th St b/t Broadway and Park Ave. S, 212.477.0777) -- This place is warm and romanticy and can get as expensive as you'll let it. They have prix-fixe type deals for lunch and dinner, and you can eat in the Tavern Room which is cheaper and casualer. The food is fancy tavern food -- fish and meat and whatnot.

2. Babbo (110 Waverly Pl, right off Washington Sq Park, 212-777-0303) -- Idiosyncratic Italian food with an emphasis
on fresh, local ingredients. It's located in a lovely old building, and it feels a bit like you're in someone's house. And
if you've been searching for some beef-cheek ravioli, this is the place.

For romanticy meals in Brooklyn:

1. Al di la, as noted below, is probably my favorite restaurant in the city. They don't take reservations, and if
you get there after about 7:30pm, there's a chance you won't get a table that night. Get there early, put your
name in, and sit in their wine bar (but eat in the main room).

2. The Grocery (288 Smith St b/t Union and Sackett sts, 718-596-3335) -- Little room that serves a limited menu
that changes nightly. The cuisine is maybe French-inspired new-American. I haven't been, but I've heard they
really take care of you. And the food is supposed to be very good, also.

3. Locanda Vini e Olii would be nice, also. It's listed below. Francoise wears Converse Allstars of different colors,
not chuck taylors. I apologize to Francoise and his family for the error in the initial list. This place is a bit out into
Brooklyn, though.

4. The River Cafe (1 Water St., 718-522-5200) -- I think this place is probably more expensive than the
food warrants, though I've never been so I can't say. The restaurant is literally on the East River, with
windows looking at the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan. So that's good. But, it is probably full of tourists
and it will hurt a wallet or two. I'd probably just go to Grimaldi's for pizza, and walk down to the river and
get the view that way.

Bar I must add to the list because it's great and I love it so much:

1. Spuyten Duyvil (359 Metropolitan Ave @ Havemayer, Williamsburg, 718-963-4140) -- This place opened up about
a year ago. They love their beer and it shows. They also have some nice wines, plus cheeses and meats.
It feels like hanging out in someone's country kitchen. The bartenders are real friendly in a beer-geeky sort
of way. Oh, and you can go here and order delivery from anywhere else -- like delicious Burritos from
Bonita. Better not to go there on a Friday or Saturday night on account of the yahoos.

+ 18 Arhans (227 Centre St b/t Grand & Broome Sts in Chinatownish) – I think it just says something like VEG REST in yellow on the front. It’s homemade vegetarian food that’s tasty. It’s run by this sassy Buddhist monk lady who insists that we call her ET. I have a big crush on her. Everything is $5, and the place is also a tiny Buddhist temple towards the back. Across the street is an old police building that now houses the rich and famous. Word has it they have a rat problem. The doorman is a sour-puss.
+ HoomoosAsli(100 Kenmare St. @ Lafayette St in Soho) – A very good Israeli sandwich place (falafel, hoomoos, etc).Just make sure you pronounce hoomoos correctly, or they may ignore you. The food tastes real good, though. And it’s cheap.
+ Cafe el Portal (174 Elizabeth b/t Spring & Kenmare Sts in Soho/Nolita) – A nice, inexpensive Mexican place.
+ Bread (20 Spring St. b/t Elizabeth & Mott Sts in Soho/Nolita) – Italian pressed sandwich place.
+ Palicinka (28 Grand St. b/t Thompson St. & Sixth Ave) – French/Russian crepe and sandwich place. It’s also a good place to develop crushes. This is the place for French/Russian crepes and crushes. The diner across the street was the one from Spiderman.The movie.
+ Katz’s Deli (205 East Houston St. @ Ludlow St. in the LES) – This place is an institution. Get the pastrami or corned beef, unless you’re a vegetarian, in which case you might want to avoid those.
+ PepeRosso(149 Sullivan St. b/t Houston and Prince Sts in Soho) – cheap and very tiny Italian pasta place with lots of good, dining rules.
+ Ciao Bella (285 Mott St b/t Houston & Prince Sts in Soho/Nolita) – if you like gelato, you might should go here and eat gelato.Either this, or Laboratorio del Gelato at Orchard & Broome Sts in the LES.
+ Sullivan Street Bakery (73 Sullivan St. b/t Spring & Broome Sts in Soho) – This place makes very good bread, and these little cheap pizza-type things for lunch. Oh, and next door is this new Greek place that looks good for grabbing stuffed thingies and baklava (is that Greek? It should be).
+Magnolia Bakery (401 Bleecker Street @ 11th St. in the WestVillage) – If you like sugary, desserty type bakery items, this is the place for you. The cupcakes are absurd, and I always need a nap after one (there’s a 12 cupcake purchase limit).
+ Corner Bistro (331 W. 4th @ Jane St. & 8th Ave in the WestVillage) – One of the best and cheapest burgers in town, and oh man, this place has itself some ambiance (old and dark). It’s also a bar with cheap drinks ($2 McSorley’s) and it’s open late.

Food not in Manhatty, but the better, more loveable Brooklyn-town:

+ Patsy Grimaldi’s(19 Old Fulton St b/t Front St & Water St in DUMBO) – Some of the better pizzas in NYC.Right next to theBrooklynBridge. No slices.
+ Ms. Williamsburg Diner (206 Kent Ave. @ North 3rd in Williamburg Brooklyn) – Very good Italian food in an old diner car.When the weather is nice, there’s a big outdoor area where they show movies. Don’t ask for more cheese, b/c they won’t give you any.
+ Al di la (248 5th Ave & Caroll Street in Park Slope, or Sloop if you prefer) – Venetian food that tastes very good.
+ LocandaVini e Olii (129 Gates Ave & Cambridge Pl in Clinton Hill) – Tuscan food in an old pharmacy. The owner, Francoise, is a real character who often wears a suit and differently colored chuck taylors.
+ Cono & Sons O’Pescatore(301 Graham Ave & Ainslie in Williamsburg) – probably one the best examples of Brooklyn Italian food that tastes good, very good.
+ D.O.C. Wine Bar (83 N. 7th St @ Wythe St in Williamsburg) – real nice, unpretentious Sardinian wine bar. They also have very tasty pressed sandwiches, cheeses and meats (only the sandwiches are pressed – they might press cheese if you ask nicely). The bread is from Sullivan Street Bakery. Mmm.
+ Bonita (338 Bedford Ave @ South 3rd in Williamsburg) – Mexican place by the guys who own Diner, the sort of overpriced but delicious diner-car diner down the street (if you’re looking for diner cars, go to Williamsburg – it’s almost impossible to find a place to eat that isn’t housed in one). They cook the chips and mix the guacamole to order, and it’s stupid good. The brunch is supposed to be very good too.
+ Peter Luger’s for hamburgers (lunch only) (178 Broadway b/t Bedford & Driggs Aves in South Williams urg) – this is the best steak place around, and it’s real expensive, but at lunch they have a mean 6$ hamburger. I think the surly, old waiters are free.

Bars

I’m not sure what types of bars you’re looking for (divey, oldman, swanky, hotely, karaoke, dancey, etc). I’ll name a few. I assume you’re looking for Bulgarian bars, because, well, who isn’t?

Manhattan:

+ Mehanata 416 B.C. (Broadway just south of Canal St) – I’m pretty sure this is the only Bulgarian bar in the city. It’s a funny place.At about 10 or 11 pm the old folks and babies slip out, the lights go down and the Bulgarian (?) dance music starts pumping. There’s food (French fries and feta) too. They also haven’t heard about the smoking ban in bars and restaurants, yet.
+ Mare ChiaroakaTony’s (176 ½ Mulberry St b/t Grand and Broome Sts) – a good place for cheap drinks with mobsters.
+ decibel (240 E. 9th St. b/t Second and Third Aves) – a hidden, dark Japanese sake bar with an oddly pleasurable mix of music.
+ Blue & Gold (79 E. 7th St. b/t First and Second Aves)-- this is one of my favorite dive bars in town. Cheap drinks, good mix of folks, pool table. The other Ukrainian-owned bar next door is good too.
+ d.b.a. (1st Ave b/t 2nd and 3rd Sts) – Except for the weekends, this place is real nice, with lots of great beers, wines andwhiskeystuffs. It has some nice sitting outside, too. Dudley can attest to that.

Brooklyn:

+ O’Connors(5th Ave just south of Flatbush Ave in Park Slope) – A real divey bar that’s been there a long while. It’s a mix of characters, indie rockers and hipsters. The drinks are cheap and the jukebox is good.
+Great Lakes (5th Ave. @ 1st St in Park Slope) – Good bar with indierock jukebox.
+Boat (Smith St. b/t Warren and Wychkoff Sts) – Nice bar with a nice fireplace and a good jukebox. Same owners as Great Lakes, wouldn’t you know.
+ Pete’s Waterfront Alehouse (Atlantic Ave. b/t Clinton and Henry Sts in BrooklynHeights) – Good drinks and bar food.
+Pete’s Candy Store (Lorimer St b/t Frost and Richardson Sts in Williamsburg) – A bar in an old candy store that had a secret room in the back for who knows what. There’s free music in what looks like a bordello train car. There’s some nice outside sitting in the backyard, and bbq’s some Sundays after the softball games. They have game nights, pressed sandwiches and the reverendvinceanderson every Sunday at 9pm.
+Brooklyn Ale House (Berry St b/t N 7th and N 8th Sts in Williamsburg) – A great neighborhood bar for dogs and pool.

Otherthings

+ Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre (307 W 26th St b/t 8th and 9th Aves) – this is a good place for comedy of the mostly improvstyle. http://ucbtheatre.com/
+ The Peoples’ Improv Theatre (Pit) (154 W 29th St) – this place splintered off from the UCB theatre and there are some funny things happening there. I mean, if you like that. http://www.thepit-nyc.com/. Ms Jackson on Wednesdays are very good and includes the original Becky from Rosanne. The TV show.

+ GreenwoodCemetery
+ Central & ProspectParks
+ BAM
+ TenementMuseum
+Castle Clinton and Battery Park
+Film Forum

Oh, and for art:

1. The Met -- Van Gogh drawings and there's some crazy photography exhibit that features works related to spiritism and the occult
from the mid 19th century. The Met is pay what you will -- my grandmother always said to give about a nickel b/c the recommended
price was for tourists. But then, she was a member for 60-some years so she could probably get away with that a bit easier.

2. Neue Galerie on 86th Street near 5th Ave -- This German/Austrian Museum is in an old mansion, which should make Egon Shiele's
painting look all the more creepy and beautiful. It's a lovely space, and the attached Cafe Sabarsky is a great spot to relax between museums,
or after some Central Park walking.

The galleries on 22nd and 24th between 10th and 11th streets usually have a couple of winners. I'm not sure what's up now.

Okay, I'm crazy, but I wanted to put down my favorite manhattany places for food that I missed
with the other lists.

'ino cafe (21 Bedford St. b/t Houston & Downing sts, West Village) -- One of my favorite spots for
great panini, wine and soup (they have the best soup in the winter, only -- Tuscan white bean is
sooo good). Panini are about 8 or 9 dollars. My favorites are the 3 cheese panini with truffle oil (probably
the greatest grilled cheese sandwich, ever) or the cacciatorini w/ goat cheese and black olive pesto. The
bruschetta and tramezzini are good too. And it's right around the corner from the Film Forum, the last, great
non-profit truly independent theater in NYC -- www.filmforum.org. There's a bigger version of this place
on the Rivington and Ludlow in the LES.

Caracas Arepa Bar (91 E. 7th St b/t 1st Ave and Ave A, East Village) -- This place might even be tinier than
'ino or Temple. If you've never had an arepa, you might should go here. It's a Venezuelan version of a pita
sandwich, except it's not pita. It's a corn-meal pocket bread, fried up lightly and filled with all sorts of stuff.
I like the simple cheddar one, and the the De Pollo. For appetizers, try the Yoyos (fried sweet plantains with
white cheese with syrup -- sweet, salty, syrupy). And get a fresh juice. Oh, and try to get the recipe to the
secret sauce of your waitress.

Freeman's (End of Freeman Alley, off Rivington b/t the Bowery and Chrystie) -- I guess this place is kind of
sceney, but it's a fun place to go. And I had the best pork chop and grits there that I've ever eaten. Twice. It's a bit
of adventure finding it -- it's literally at the end of alley. It feels a bit like being in a ski lodge bar, with stuff animal
heads on the walls and umm, maybe it's just that. That'll do it. Who cares if you have to sit next to Luke Wilson.

Sosa Borella (460 Greenwich St b/t Watts and Desbrosses sts, TriBeCa) -- Very good Argentine-inspired
food. It's not cheap, but you get a better deal during their great brunch (and lunch). I usually get the bistecca
sandwich (grilled strip steak with chimichurri sauce and melted mozzarella on a baguette) or the Havarti grilled
sanwich on country bread. The breakfast items are tasty, as are the desserts, especially the L'Argentino that
has Nocciola gelato, hot fudge and dulce de leche, or the Affogato which is just gelato drowned in hot espresso.
Oh, there's one up in the theater district also. 50thish St.

Temple (81 St. Marks Pl near 1st Ave, East Village) -- I love this little Korean restaurant. It was opened by a
student of some graduate food program at NYU a few years ago. I think she got credit for the restaurant. I usually
get the tofu ginger stir fry thing, but most everyone else gets the dolsot bibimbop which comes out steaming.
And it's more fun to say than tofu stir fry.

Palacinka (28 Grand St. b/t Thompson St. and Sixth Ave, SoHo) -- This little place just feels good, for some reason.
They do simple crepes and sandwiches. They do a nice spicy, tomato soup. The dessert crepe of hazelnut spread
and creme fraiche is as good as that gets.

Home (20 Cornelia St b/t Bleecker and W. 4th sts, Greenwich Village) -- A cozy little place on a quiet-ish block
for the Village. They make homemade-like, American comfort foods. Moderately priced.

Momofuku Noodle Bar (163 First Ave near 10th St, East Village) -- This place has very good noodles, especially
ramen, for not a lot of money. It was opened by a chef from a big restaurant that just wanted to make the best damn
ramen in the world.

Ms. Williamsburg Portavia (228 E. 10th St. near 1st Ave, East Village) -- This is a tiny version of the one I mentioned
on the other list. They have more sandwiches and whatnot, but they also have the white lasagna (with béchamel)
and such.

charlie bucket - i think the place you're thinking of is chumleys

f'kin hell dudley...
some great recommendations there though. btw i saw the dudley corporation in mercury lounge last time, great show

If you want good photos of statue of liberty go on the free staten island ferry - across to staten island and come (straight) back in an hour. Drop into century 21 and ground zero on the way back if you like.

Good restaurants:

Bathazar in soho
Pastis in meatpackers
Red eye grill on east 55th st (I think)

Go see jazz at the village vanguard.

Go to the met for art. See whistler, john white alexander and john singer sargent - some mary casst too I think.

Walk around central park (don't do rip-off pony ride)

Go skating in Bryant park if it's still on.

Go to the public library (beside bryant park)

Go to Barnes and Noble on union square for books.

dammit dudley now i want to go back to new york

i missed your show there in september - got in all jetlagged a few hours before the gig and ended up getting far too drunk in a bar in queens with a friend of vincent gallos who loves devo and women and pool.
but i saw you in the limelight instead. ho hum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back