Feedback/pick up problems? (1 Viewer)

GARYXKNIFEDX

Solutions
Website
Visit site
I've never had problems with feedback or changed pick ups in any guitar.

But,a guitar I bought a while back feedsback/feedbacks(?) like crazy when played loud with a pedal on.

I had kinda been presuming it was an earth problem,but when I looked up about it there's a lot of mention of it being a microphonic pick up. How can I tell so I don't spend more money than I need to?

Thanks

I've never had problems with feedback or changed pick ups in any guitar.

But,a guitar I bought a while back feedsback/feedbacks(?) like crazy when played loud with a pedal on.

I had kinda been presuming it was an earth problem,but when I looked up about it there's a lot of mention of it being a microphonic pick up. How can I tell so I don't spend more money than I need to?

Thanks

I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but plug it in turn everything up loud as possible turn on your pedals, mute all the strings and then shout into the pick ups. I have a guitar where one of the pick ups is completely fucked (I'm told microphonic) If you hear your self shouting there's your answer.

From what I was told you can hear your self shouting if you have the strings unmuted because you can hear harmonics but if they're muted it's all you baby.

This is what i was told by someone who purports to knowing more than me.

By the way I've never fixed this and love the sound of that guitar.

A Gordon Smith,the one I got a while back.

I'm told the pickups are two single coils side by side so they look like a humbucker. It's coil tapped to turn one off. I have no idea if the pick ups are original or if they've been replaced with rubbish. I do like the sound of it when it doesn't feedback though. Sounds lovely clean,but I don't ever play clean.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/garyknifed/SDC13018_zps47794ae9.jpg

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Any help ?

The second one looks fucking mad.

Cranked it through an amp at home. Looks like I'm gonna have to replace the pick ups.

Get them rewound. Should be much cheaper then replacing them. I've a few names for you if you want to go down that road.

Get them rewound. Should be much cheaper then replacing them. I've a few names for you if you want to go down that road.

I probably should do that. I've no idea what to even look for pick up wise if I were getting new ones. Saving a few quid would definitely bo good.

Any help ?

The second one looks fucking mad.

Thanks,definitely seems microphonic. I'll possibly go Marks rewind route. May put it off until after getting my amp fixed though. (been talking about that for a lifetime now it seems)

I was reading up on this the other week and some people were saying they dip the pickup in wax oddly enough.

Sorry if that's what was in the videos (in work so yootoob is blocked).

If it were me I'd probably splash out and go the more expensive option and just them rewound.

I'm gonna look into getting them rewound. I'm not to sure about the wax myself. I'm sure I'd end up annoying myself trying to do it. At least if I hand the pick ups over to someone they can tell me if it's worthwhile or not. For all I know I could be better off replacing them.

Yeah I'd imagine doing the wax fix yourself would be a pain in the hole and open to some disasterous errors.

Let us know how it works out. Curious about this myself as I have an old Jap guitar with seriously microphonic pickups. I do kinda like them though!

hmmm speaking of pickups..
I want to start using my Strat again more often. I love the bite from the single coil pickup and I like that it can be switched to a humbucker but it is noisy as fuck which makes it a pain to play loud. So I suppose I'm looking for a new pickup.
A humbucker that can be switched to a single? Any ideas?

Gordon Smith's have coil tapped pickups that are supposed to kinda do that. I never notice a huge difference to be honest.

Stacked single coil? It won't have the bite, but it'll get close and the two coils will help with the noise. Or get a noise gate pedal. Thats probably the place to start actually.

Maybe you don't need a new guitar. A new amp might be something to look at.

Bare Knuckle have an amazing rep yeah, but what you're after - the single coil bite - can only be gotten from a single coil. If you run it with a lot of gain then you will get noise. Even tappable humbuckers are noisey becuase they remove the other coil thereby introducing the hum.

Fender do a 'Noiseless' single coil. Dunno if they're any good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back