Did anyone buy a Chromecast in Ireland yet? (1 Viewer)

They're a grand idea but I don't like still having to use your phone/laptop to be the main source of playing stuff. For what most people are using it for (playing films, youtube, Netflix etc) getting one of those cheap Android sticks would be a better idea.

Any use?

I hear there's some pretty easy workarounds to play your fillums from your phone/tablet.

yeah my mate bought one for is ipad & iphone

says it works like a dream and was only 40 euro

They're a grand idea but I don't like still having to use your phone/laptop to be the main source of playing stuff. For what most people are using it for (playing films, youtube, Netflix etc) getting one of those cheap Android sticks would be a better idea.

whats an android stick? how is that different?

I bought the marginally cheaper EZ Chromecast...thinking it was the read deal.

Every review says the difference in price is so minimal you'd be nuts to buy it

doh

It hasn't arrived yet but I'll let you all know how I get on. This is unexplored territory for me.

Any particular Android stick in mind? There's so many of them, and many are balls I'd say.

But you can use it with a media server.

I got a chromecast on the cheap. I'll let yiz know how I get on. So far it's great. Quite apart from the apps with official support you can cast your full device screen with audio too*, so perfect for use with Spotify, your media player of choice etc.

I've yet to set up a media server on my old laptop, but I'll let ye know how that goes. Apparently with the Avia app you can stream content from your media library via WiFi

* EDIT! Just saw online - full screen casting so far only for:
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10
  • HTC One M7
  • LG G3
  • LG G2
  • LG G Pro 2

Last edited:
How can I get mkv files to play on a friend's TV?

She has a Roku box, but it has no USB

If the Roku supports DLNA you should be able to stream MKV files from a computer on the same LAN using Universal Media Server. Or you could try Plex on a computer & the Roku Plex app.

Last edited:
Plex membership has either a subscription or a one off fee of 60 dollars. Could she connect a laptop running VLC with a HDMI cable?

OK, so up and running proper now.

I installed Plex on my laptop to run as a media server.

I installed Avia (paid version) and Allcast (free version) on my Galaxy S4 and both can stream media from Plex (files stored on my Laptop) to Chromecast.

I also installed the Chrome extension Videostream on the Chrome browser on my laptop - this streams local video files to Chromecast via the Chrome browser.

I've got most bases covered through this - there's only a few files I have that won't play with one of these.

Bob's your father's brother.

Last edited:
Do these things need to be charged before you can use them? I thought I could just connect it to the upc router using the usb cable and it would draw power from there, that's what I did before, but the lights won't come on to indicate it's working and there's no sign of life

Do these things need to be charged before you can use them? I thought I could just connect it to the upc router using the usb cable and it would draw power from there, that's what I did before, but the lights won't come on to indicate it's working and there's no sign of life

Hey Johnny,
No charging required: plug the unit into a HDMI on your tele, but it needs power too. Yes it can work off USB power, but not all USB ports are putting out the full required voltage, so use the supplied power supply if required. It really in the most "plug and play" thing ever.

Just realised that all HTML5 videos on the internet now have a chromecast button by default, so tonight I'm watching the new Harmontown documentary with a bottle of Ketel One via Chromecast.

Hey Johnny,
No charging required: plug the unit into a HDMI on your tele, but it needs power too. Yes it can work off USB power, but not all USB ports are putting out the full required voltage, so use the supplied power supply if required. It really in the most "plug and play" thing ever.
Mine must be broken then. I got about ten minutes use out of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back