Keane joins Celtic (1 Viewer)

Well it's hardly like I'd give much of a shite. Celtic are no longer good enough to play in the Champions League. They would have just got fucking hammered if they had qualified - and I fully expect Maribor will get fucking hammered, because they are pretty shite too.
At least in the Europa League they might have a shot at getting out of the group, maybe.
Na, fact is, Celtic don't have anywhere near enough cash to compete at Champions League level, and if the fans want to see that change, they have to stop all the 'spend a load of money on players' nonsense and support the club in trying to generate money from other sources.
The club isn't in debt any more, and that's a big start, no more interest to pay off every year.
I mean, the wage bill is probably more like lower level Championship teams than Champions League sides. That can't change unless a load of new money appears from somewhere, simple as that.
I can see another 5-10 years of sitting in European obscurity whilst trying to develop a decent youth set-up and player development culture. That's basically why Ronny Deila was brought in.
No big deal, just the way it is.

Well it's hardly like I'd give much of a shite. Celtic are no longer good enough to play in the Champions League. They would have just got fucking hammered if they had qualified - and I fully expect Maribor will get fucking hammered, because they are pretty shite too.
At least in the Europa League they might have a shot at getting out of the group, maybe.
Na, fact is, Celtic don't have anywhere near enough cash to compete at Champions League level, and if the fans want to see that change, they have to stop all the 'spend a load of money on players' nonsense and support the club in trying to generate money from other sources.
The club isn't in debt any more, and that's a big start, no more interest to pay off every year.
I mean, the wage bill is probably more like lower level Championship teams than Champions League sides. That can't change unless a load of new money appears from somewhere, simple as that.
I can see another 5-10 years of sitting in European obscurity whilst trying to develop a decent youth set-up and player development culture. That's basically why Ronny Deila was brought in.
No big deal just the way it is because they're guaranteed a run at CL group stage every single year until Rangers get their act together ?

Or do you reckon anyone else can win the league ?

And is that a good thing for football in Scotland in general ?

It sounds like you give a shite. And yes, when you're up against the big bucks of heavy hitters like Maribor, it must be tough to compete.

The only way Celtic will ever be able to compete at European level is if they join the Premier League. Not saying I'd support it, just stating the obvious. Welsh teams are better than Celtic now.

The only way Celtic will ever be able to compete at European level is if they join the Premier League. Not saying I'd support it, just stating the obvious. Welsh teams are better than Celtic now.
I was about to say i hope Swasea get them in the EL. That was last year. Maybe we'll get them. That'd be fucking class.

I'll take Celtic, a Spanish team and a German or Italian team. No Eastern Bloc sides I want a big test in the group followed by all ex CL teams all the way to the final. FUCKING YES!!!

I was about to say i hope Swasea get them in the EL. That was last year. Maybe we'll get them. That'd be fucking class.

I'll take Celtic, a Spanish team and a German or Italian team. No Eastern Bloc sides I want a big test in the group followed by all ex CL teams all the way to the final. FUCKING YES!!!
Amused in an never ceasing way.

Amused in an never ceasing way.
Rather that than Metalist, Lokomotive and Debrecen

And yeah I know we haven't got a hope of winning it. But It'd be nice to play some top clubs.

I'll take Napoli, Celtic and Villareal. That'd be a decent group. Then if we get through I hope we play your lot.

;)

Who do you want in the CL ?

Let's say Shaktar, Juve and ...umm..Schalke.
Are you lot still pot one ? Would you not want to give it a lash against Real or Bayern or someone ? See where you are in the grand scheme of things ? I'd fucking love that even if we took a bating.

I'd rather go out to three decent sides than struggle against shite.

Not that Schalke, Juve and Shaktar are bad sides. Leverkeusen look very good from what I've seen. Bilbao would be a good test. Not that I've seen a lot but they were good against Dortmund in the Westfaellen and they absolutely hammered Copenhagen.

I think Shaktar-Pool would be a cracking few games. Assuming, of course, World War 3 doesn't start in the meantime.

We have a relatively inexperienced CL squad. Admittedly there's a few former winners, but when you consider 2 of them are Balotelli and Emre Can, it does't inspire the kind of confidence that would be looking forward to a game against Real or Bayern. Be interesting to get Barca, and have Suarez back at Anfield.

Though, you know what they say. No easy games at this level.

And yes, when you're up against the big bucks of heavy hitters like Maribor, it must be tough to compete.

The likes of Maribor might not have much money themselves, but they also aren't quite guaranteed to lose their best players every season the way Celtic are, because they don't have the Premiership sitting right next door to them.
Like, half the players we sign only come to us in the first place because they are eyeing up a move to England a year or two down the line. Virgil Van Dijk, prime example, he wants away now and is one of our better players at the moment. Apparently Sunderland are interested. Sunderland! Van Dijk quoted as saying 'he wants opportunities to play at the highest level' or some nonsense. Good luck getting into Europe with Sunderland! He wants opportunities at the highest wage level.
Would Celtic have lost to Maribor if they had Hooper, Wanyama, Forster, Ledley, Ki, Samaras, players like that on the pitch? Would they fuck. Those kind of players beat Barcelona 2-1, albeit defending for their lives.

What's the money situation like at Celtic? Are they in desperate need to sell to survive or is it just the case that the SPL is so easy for them now they can cash in and still be champions, even though it means their chances in Europe are seriously damaged?

Oh, also

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What's the money situation like at Celtic? Are they in desperate need to sell to survive or is it just the case that the SPL is so easy for them now they can cash in and still be champions, even though it means their chances in Europe are seriously damaged?

Oh, also

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What's going on there?

What's going on there?

Legia beat Celtic 6-1 in the previous round but were turfed out due to an administrative issue. They had a player who was due to serve a suspension and who didn't play against St Pats 2 rounds ago so they thought he'd be eligible to play against Celtic, however the UEFA rule is that the player only serves the suspension if he's registered for that round which he wasn't (sure why would you? he's suspended), with the tie going their way 6-1 he came off the bench with about 5 minutes to go. UEFA threw them out of the competition for fielding an ineligable player.

Legia beat Celtic 6-1 in the previous round but were turfed out due to an administrative issue. They had a player who was due to serve a suspension and who didn't play against St Pats 2 rounds ago so they thought he'd be eligible to play against Celtic, however the UEFA rule is that the player only serves the suspension if he's registered for that round which he wasn't (sure why would you? he's suspended), with the tie going their way 6-1 he came off the bench with about 5 minutes to go. UEFA threw them out of the competition for fielding an ineligable player.

I apologise. I knew all that. Thank you, though.

What does that have to do with money?

It was just bizarrely draconian, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back