What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

I got four pages into Jane Austen's Emma before I had to stop. I started Gravity's Rainbow but never finished it. I keep meaning to go back to it. I think that's it for books I never finished.

I would like to finish the book I'm currently reading but I've left it on my desk in work. Here's a picture of it to give me something to do while I'm on the train:
10520420_10152344086808386_2950240965367828784_n.jpg

ooooh
is it good? i've only just started watching true detective, i love all that southern shit, such a mad place

Yeah, not as Southern Gothic-y as True Detective or as deeply layered but well worth a read. Have about 50 pages left and dying to finish it. Might pop into work on Sunday to pick it up...

expo-58.jpg

Expo 58 by Jonathan Coe. I've heard that his last few books weren't great and that this is seen as a bit of a return to form. It's no What A Carve Up! but is a pretty entertaining and easy read. A British civil servant is plucked from his desk and dull family life and deposited in Brussels to oversee the running of a British pub at the World's Fair in 1958.

The Good Father by Noah Hawley. Hawley wrote the whole of Fargo’s first season and that show’s structure was more novelistic than any other, True Detective aside. This book is written from the point of view of an affluent doctor whose son has been arrested for shooting a presidential candidate. Brilliantly written, with loads of interesting tangents on gun culture and mass shootings/assassinations. Very impressive.

418O1UFAaVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

The Good Father by Noah Hawley. Hawley wrote the whole of Fargo’s first season and that show’s structure was more novelistic than any other, True Detective aside. This book is written from the point of view of an affluent doctor whose son has been arrested for shooting a presidential candidate. Brilliantly written, with loads of interesting tangents on gun culture and mass shootings/assassinations. Very impressive.

418O1UFAaVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
Sounds like a less jewish American Pastoral.

If Hawley can hold his attention on one subject for more than a page i'll give it a read.

The Jihadis Return: ISIS and the New Sunni Uprising by Patrick Cockburn

Very interesting and topical, puts a bit of context on the current unpleasantness. The outlook is poor. It repeats itself a bit and seems slightly thrown together (possibly to get it out while ISIS are still hot) but very readable.

22434359.jpg

enoch.jpg
I read some of this last night which I picked up in Dublin during the summer fairly interesting and even fun but mostly I have just read the early autobiographical or circumstantial parts of the book about Dr J. Dee who lived in the 1500's and was a visitor of Queen Elisabeth's court also a little information on well known biblical ideas.

Very interesting and topical, puts a bit of context on the current unpleasantness. The outlook is poor. It repeats itself a bit and seems slightly thrown together (possibly to get it out while ISIS are still hot) but very readable.

View attachment 9085
should've called it 'on the sunni side of the street'

View attachment 9085

Blurb:
"In this explosive new book, renowned
Middle East correspondent Patrick
Cockburn analyzes events leading up to
the seizure by jihadis of a vast territory
spanning the Iraq-Syria border."

Uh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back