What movie did you watch last night? (18 Viewers)

For me Nebraska is the clear winner. It’s his funniest, deftest film and it’s bolstered by Bruce Dern’s magnificent, career best performance. The gorgeous score and beautiful black and white cinematography seal the deal for me.

It’s been a few years since I saw About Schmidt so I need to re watch it as I can’t remember much.

Wasn’t that keen on The Descendants. Clooney’s smugness permeates.

I didn't like The Descendants either. I just couldn't get into the BOO HOO GEORGE SAAAAAD aspect of the film. I couldn't get into the film which means to place that family at centre of the universe which I just couldn't do.

For Alexander Payne, I think Election is a pretty good movie. It's a movie I always enjoy when I catch it on TV.

Anyway, to properly address the thread, I watched A Scanner Darkly last night. Didn't think much of it. Wish it was shot straight up, the rotoscoping is pretty fucking dated now.

Anyway, to properly address the thread, I watched A Scanner Darkly last night. Didn't think much of it. Wish it was shot straight up, the rotoscoping is pretty fucking dated now.
I’ve tried to watch this twice now and haven’t gotten further than 40 minutes in. Gives me a headache.

DEvil's Pass. Found footage yoke. Some spolied American brats (it's always spoiled Muricans, innit? How are you supposed to want these pricks to live?) go to make a documentary about the Dyatlov Pass. 9 hikers died up there in mysterious circumstances in 1959. Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh. They all had hypothermia. Something to do with the -50 temps, no doubt. Our protagonists, however, being hardy Muricans, sleep in the nip and don't wear gloves. Bit ridiculous really, but not the worst. Decent, far fetched end. I mean, decent in context.

You always know a film that spends the first five minutes telling you how many production companies were involved is going to be class.

DEvil's Pass. Found footage yoke. Some spolied American brats (it's always spoiled Muricans, innit? How are you supposed to want these pricks to live?) go to make a documentary about the Dyatlov Pass. 9 hikers died up there in mysterious circumstances in 1959. Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh. They all had hypothermia. Something to do with the -50 temps, no doubt. Our protagonists, however, being hardy Muricans, sleep in the nip and don't wear gloves. Bit ridiculous really, but not the worst. Decent, far fetched end. I mean, decent in context.

You always know a film that spends the first five minutes telling you how many production companies were involved is going to be class.
I stuck this on the other day because I’d heard good things and I like Bobcat Goldthwait. I turned it off after 20 minutes. Found footage bollocks about an obnoxious middle class couple who are investigating Bigfoot.

Willow Creek (2013) - IMDb

I stuck this on the other day because I’d heard good things and I like Bobcat Goldthwait. I turned it off after 20 minutes. Found footage bollocks about an obnoxious middle class couple who are investigating Bigfoot.

Willow Creek (2013) - IMDb
I think we hit Peak Found Footage With Obnoxious American Cunts many years ago. And yet....I can't stop watching....

The actual story of the original incident is pretty good though

Jaysis, Renny Harlin has really fallen from grace since the glory days of Cliffhanger and Die Hard 2

The Purge : Anarchy

This is a funny one. On the one hand, obviously this film is bollocks, with a total mishmash of a plot that is all over the place.
On the other hand, this is actually really well-made/directed, has a good pace to it, and gets pretty damn great towards the end!

It's a bit weird.
Omar from The Wire is in this film for maybe 5 minutes total, and he is class for that whole 5 minutes. OMAR COMIN. Omar must only pick roles that make him look amazing.
Basically, this film is just a whole bunch of different films pieced together under the whole Purge idea thing. We're talking Battle Royale, They Live, Hard Target, The Warriors, Mad Max, all this kind of shit mashed into one. Naturally, if someone said to me that's what this film is like, I'd go to the cinema expecting the greatest film of all time. So this isn't that film, but those influences aren't really a bad thing as such, it's more like they just own a scene each or something.

Anyway, one of the surprisingly good things here is the acting, which comes from a bunch of people I have no idea who they are. Except Omar of course. The roles these people play are completely standard, generic, ya know, but they still do them well. The main 'good' guy is this cop, and he's bad-ass as fuck. This guy should definitely be given some action films to be in. Bring him in to The Expendables or some shit.
Soundtrack is also fairly good, decent menacing in the background sort of stuff.

Conclusion: This is actually a fun film to go watch, as long as you know the 'plot' or 'story' is a total mess anyway and just go with it. Aside from the plot/writing, the whole thing is actually really well made and pretty decent stuff!

Kind of where I was with it. I thought the first one had a good premise but they didn't handle it well.

I like how they've pulled back and made it city wide.
And the main guy is a great onscreen badass. You could probably add the Punisher to your list of films there.

You can't take it too seriously - it has nothing to say about class or inequality or how we live today. It's just a film where lots of violent stuff happens.

613c.jpg

Child of God (2013)
This had got pretty terrible reviews but I really enjoyed it. James Franco directs this low budget Southern Gothic tale about a Hill billy corpse fucker who has perfect teeth but poor toilet hygiene. Directed by James Franco and based on a Cormac McCarthy book.

The Lincoln Lawyer was on Film4 last night. It's precisely that kind of shite that made people hate McCaughna-HEY! for so long. Jesus, it was spew inducingly lazy and self satisfied. Ugh.

Have to disagree with you Hector.

Great movie and performance, plus it sparked McConaghey's reinvention from romcom lightweight into a respected Oscar winning actor.The standard and level of work he did from there on wards has been very impressive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• rettucs
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back