Ireland v Erdogan, Mussollini and Salazar (1 Viewer)

Richie Dunne has called it a day with Ireland apparently. I'm going to start bawling here..

Sad day. He produced so many great performances for Ireland. On a personal note, I'll never forget the joy I got from his thumping header against Bulgaria in 2009. I was heavily under the kosh with college and work at the time and watched the game with one other Ireland fan (who I later realised was Adrian Dunbar) in a practically empty pub in North London. When Dunne scored I remember all of my troubles fading as I jumped around like a lunatic.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hold on, sad day? Legend? How come he's not a cunt for giving up? Nigglebath, where are you? Set us straight here.

Sad day. He produced so many great performances for Ireland. On a personal note, I'll never forget the joy I got from his thumping header against Bulgaria in 2009. I was heavily under the kosh with college and work at the time and watched the game with one other Ireland fan (who I later realised was Adrian Dunbar) in a practically empty pub in North London. When Dunne scored I remember all of my troubles fading as I jumped around like a lunatic.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was that Kilbane getting caught out for their goal there? Fucking AWFUL defending!

Hold on, sad day? Legend? How come he's not a cunt for giving up? Nigglebath, where are you? Set us straight here.

I agree actually. We fucking need him now and he's fit and has just played a full season. We need him for, what, 8 competitive games? He can skip friendlies and Gibralter.
He has made O'Shea, Sledge and O'Dea all look like Franco Baresi when they were partnering him and he was marshalling things in defence.

When you see the age of some of the lads playing at the WC....Yepes for Colombia, for example....

I'm gutted.

Yeah I was really hoping we could eke another campaign out of him, they look like newborn lambs at the back with O'Shea leading the line and the potential replacements either don't look up to scratch or don't have the experience.. I don't think you can blame him though - 34, missed a full year thanks to injuries from Ireland duty, probably his last chance of a Premier League payday and QPR have signed a few center backs so he'll be fighting for his place. Maybe Damien Delaney can do a job for us for a couple of years, was consistently solid with Palace last season once Pulis got them drilled.

probably his last chance of a Premier League payday and QPR have signed a few center backs so he'll be fighting for his place. Maybe Damien Delaney can do a job for us for a couple of years, was consistently solid with Palace last season once Pulis got them drilled.

At 34 I don't see why in the fuck he should care more about getting a few bob from QPR and keeping his place in the side there then helping to get Ireland to the Euros.

To paraphrase Walter Sobchak, my great-grandad did not watch his buddies die face down in the GPO in 1916 for this kind of nonsense.

I agree actually. We fucking need him now and he's fit and has just played a full season. We need him for, what, 8 competitive games? He can skip friendlies and Gibralter.
He has made O'Shea, Sledge and O'Dea all look like Franco Baresi when they were partnering him and he was marshalling things in defence.

When you see the age of some of the lads playing at the WC....Yepes for Colombia, for example....

I'm gutted.

He's 34 he probably won't be fit for the tournament. It's not 8 games it's 8 training camps and 4 away matches. At his age it's the right thing to do really. There's no point in him playing the qualifiers and then leaving us high and dry in the tournament. His timing could have been better i.e he could have quit after the last qualifier but we haven't had him for any of the friendlies so MON should know what he has in that department.

He's been a great player for us, he deserves a medal for some of his performances. 34 is pushing it and if he wants to go out on a high it's probably better for him to push for his place at QPR and retire as a PL player rather than fall being Caulker and Ferdinand and end up playing fuck all at league level and being a shadow of his former self at international level.

Fair play to you Honey Monster. We'll always have Moscow.

Yeah I was really hoping we could eke another campaign out of him, they look like newborn lambs at the back with O'Shea leading the line and the potential replacements either don't look up to scratch or don't have the experience.. I don't think you can blame him though - 34, missed a full year thanks to injuries from Ireland duty, probably his last chance of a Premier League payday and QPR have signed a few center backs so he'll be fighting for his place. Maybe Damien Delaney can do a job for us for a couple of years, was consistently solid with Palace last season once Pulis got them drilled.
Damo Delaney is same age as Richie! In a few years??

Damo Delaney is same age as Richie! In a few years??

True, he's not exactly a long term solution, but he doesn't have the same injury history as Dunne and seems a bit more mobile so he may be able to keep it going for a few years longer than Dunne will. Besides him, who have we got really? Mark Wilson who doesn't seem to have settled on a preferred position yet at 26 and Calamity Ciaran Clark (who may yet turn out to be decent, taking the trajectory of Dunne's career as an example), and after that you're rapidly into McShane / O'Dea territory. The forgotten man Sean St Ledger is currently a free agent, wonder if anybody will give him a run this year.

True, he's not exactly a long term solution, but he doesn't have the same injury history as Dunne and seems a bit more mobile so he may be able to keep it going for a few years longer than Dunne will. Besides him, who have we got really? Mark Wilson who doesn't seem to have settled on a preferred position yet at 26 and Calamity Ciaran Clark (who may yet turn out to be decent, taking the trajectory of Dunne's career as an example), and after that you're rapidly into McShane / O'Dea territory. The forgotten man Sean St Ledger is currently a free agent, wonder if anybody will give him a run this year.

He'll get something even if he has to drop a division. My cousin's fella was released by Charlton this summer, having barely played for them, is now at Doncaster in league 1.

after that you're rapidly into McShane / O'Dea territory. The forgotten man Sean St Ledger is currently a free agent, wonder if anybody will give him a run this year.

Forget O'Dea, and McShane is a full back really. Shane Duffy is better than that even if he's not starting/out on loan. Hoping he gets a jump at Everton but I can't see it. Richard Keogh and Alex Pearce will also get the nod before them.

The forgotten man Sean St Ledger is currently a free agent, wonder if anybody will give him a run this year.

He was trialling/training with Huddersfield last week but we didn't sign him. And then lost our opening game 0-4.

Which doesn't look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back