the pure beers and the not so pure beers... (1 Viewer)

the Porterhouse in Bray (and apparently theres one in town) have house brews that are very pure. They list the ingredients of theirs and the mainstream beers so you can compare. They even have strawberry beer...

Trying to figure out how to get drunk without having a hangover is like trying to invent a perpetual motion machine.

Having said that, Dandn is absolutely right ... the piss that we get served as beer in this country makes them far far worse. The old Dublin Brewing Company beers weren't too bad though .. I could knock back a fair bit of Beckett's and not suffer much the next day. Stout hangovers aren't as bad as lager ones from the pain/headache point of view, but they do something rotten to your insides ...

And I think the main reason you dont get such a hangover from bottles is because you don't drink as much ...

i find that the shovelling buckets of water into you when you get home works a charm.
but when you get home do you really wana stay up and drink a few pints of water??. theres hardly any room in ye. and then you have to get up every 8.5 minutes to piss.

but it is good if you can do it.

trianglegrrrl said:
the Porterhouse in Bray (and apparently theres one in town) have house brews that are very pure. They list the ingredients of theirs and the mainstream beers so you can compare. They even have strawberry beer...
yeah i was in the temple bar one last night, their list is quite impressive even though i hate beer. the strawberry stuff is okay. guy i was with kept drinking these 8.5 and 9% beers that were just rancid. i was intrigued by one called Santa Claus... it's 14%! 14% beer! nnnngh!

Super Dexta said:
yeah i was in the temple bar one last night, their list is quite impressive even though i hate beer. the strawberry stuff is okay. guy i was with kept drinking these 8.5 and 9% beers that were just rancid. i was intrigued by one called Santa Claus... it's 14%! 14% beer! nnnngh!

i had a few of them one time. has the desired effect (i later fell down the stairs to the toilet) but its a bit too syrup-y for me.

I get *really* bad hangovers if I'm drinking rubbish. I'm usually OK on Guinness and Smithwick's but Heino and Probs kill me.

Best beers I've had for hangovers are Edelstoff import, Grolsch, Spaten/Spaten Oktoberfestbier, Fruh, Ottakringer, Krusovice, Maresdous, Leffe. Those wheat beers kill me, even that Schneide-Weisse Kristall, but the Flensberger wheat beer works for me.

Best thread ever.

potlatch said:
Best beers I've had for hangovers are Edelstoff import, Grolsch, Spaten/Spaten Oktoberfestbier, Fruh, Ottakringer, Krusovice, Maresdous, Leffe. Those wheat beers kill me, even that Schneide-Weisse Kristall, but the Flensberger wheat beer works for me.

Love Krusovice, and its a bargain compared to the trendy Czech beers. Look out for their black lager it might be difficult to get but its nice stuff. My flatemate is Czech and all he only drinks vodka...he's strange.:confused:

Essentially,it appears that most of the symptoms of hangover can be attributed to 4 effects of alcohol. First, alcohol upsets your body's water balance. Second, when alcohol is metabolized, it causes your blood to become more acidic than normal (this is called acidosis). Third, alcohol alters the normal daily rhythm of certain body functions. Fourth, alcoholic drinks contain certain impurities called congeners which can be toxic. Together, these 4 effects can turn the day after a party into a nightmare. Typical symptoms of hangover include nausea, ringing of the ears, headache, increased heart rate, excessive thirst, anxiety, insomnia, unsteadiness, dizziness (bed spins), diaphoresis (sweating), shakiness

So it doesn't matter a crap what beer it is - unless it's Kaliber. (Does that even exist anymore?!)

Yeah Tom from Killertees had a clone of it last year. We drank a few before playing a gig, was a ropey one but very enjoyable.

a new lager from the people that make Bulmers - Clonmel 1650

I might be a bit cynical but somehow i don't think the person behind the twitter account actually pronounces "style" as "shtyle".

had some buried at sea (galway brewing co) in against the grain last week, milk choc stout. was utterly amazing, best choc beer i've ever had.

not managed to track down any bottles in an offie yet, but have read mixed reports, people think it's amazing on tap, but are torn on the bottles.

anyone had any/know where to buy them?

had some buried at sea (galway brewing co) in against the grain last week, milk choc stout. was utterly amazing, best choc beer i've ever had.

not managed to track down any bottles in an offie yet, but have read mixed reports, people think it's amazing on tap, but are torn on the bottles.

anyone had any/know where to buy them?

Have you tried Youngs double chocolate stout? I had some a while back and thought it rotten so was wondering whether it was just that one I would dislike or all similar drinks. If you know what I mean?

Can't help you out with where to purchase Buried at sea but I'll keep an eye out.

Before this Youngs would have been my favourite, but it just has a hint of chocolate. This was pure on beery Yorkie.

Incidentally, if you ever find Youngs in a can, it's mind blowing, so much better than the bottle. Only had it once, when in the US years ago (they were trying to break into the market there)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back