Cinemagoing (1 Viewer)

So I can't be the only one who finds that there is waaaay too much light in cinemas these days?

For the last decade probably, it's pissed me off considerably that most cinemas seem to have these green lit fucking exit signs on either side of the screen which is pretty fucking distracting when trying to focus on the screen.

Now it seems EVERYWHERE has these annoying ambient lights, either on the stair steps or on the side walls that stay on during the entire show. I saw Under The Skin in the shitty little screen in The Lighthouse and there was way way way too much light in the room and on the screen. The dark shots were too bright and diffused and blah blah blah......... it just really felt like I was watching a big tv screen and not actually at the cinema.

What's the point in going to the cinema anymore?

That's it, rant over.

So I can't be the only one who finds that there is waaaay too much light in cinemas these days?

For the last decade probably, it's pissed me off considerably that most cinemas seem to have these green lit fucking exit signs on either side of the screen which is pretty fucking distracting when trying to focus on the screen.

Now it seems EVERYWHERE has these annoying ambient lights, either on the stair steps or on the side walls that stay on during the entire show. I saw Under The Skin in the shitty little screen in The Lighthouse and there was way way way too much light in the room and on the screen. The dark shots were too bright and diffused and blah blah blah......... it just really felt like I was watching a big tv screen and not actually at the cinema.

What's the point in going to the cinema anymore?

That's it, rant over.
It's health and safety twats gone mad innit.

But are these lit stairs and lit walls during the movie health and safety or are they the cinema trying to be "helpful".
The cinema was grand for many fucking years before this bollocks.

Honestly though, it's definitely not dark enough in the cinema and I'm not just being a picky prick. You can't be passive about everything in this life.

I've also been finding that a lot of movies that are hyped to fuck by critics these days are good at best. They would generally be great movies to catch accidentally on tv one night, but they sure as shit ain't worth leaving the house, paying a tenner and sitting through 30 minutes of advertisements for.

But are these lit stairs and lit walls during the movie health and safety or are they the cinema trying to be "helpful".
The cinema was grand for many fucking years before this bollocks.

Honestly though, it's definitely not dark enough in the cinema and I'm not just being a picky prick. You can't be passive about everything in this life.

I've also been finding that a lot of movies that are hyped to fuck by critics these days are good at best. They would generally be great movies to catch accidentally on tv one night, but they sure as shit ain't worth leaving the house, paying a tenner and sitting through 30 minutes of advertisements for.
I agree with you but they changed the safety standards about 5 years ago and it's been that way ever since.

what are you on about? This year alone has been a terrific year for films.

That's what I'm on about.

The cinema at the point always seems dark by today's standards. I go there early on Saturdays and there is rarely more than 8 people at a screening. It's great.

Feels mad going up 3 flights of escalators in that building without seeing a sinner about.

Which films are you talking about?

Dallas Buyers Club - overhyped to fuck, good to watch at home but doesn't need to be seen in the cinema. Funny that McConnaughy won an oscar for this while he was arguably doing the best work of his career......on television.

Nebraska - a nice solid film, but is it really worth leaving the house for?

American Hustle -entertaining Scorsese knock off, this one is an entertaining cinema watch I suppose. Critics blew their load over this though. It's not THAT good.

Wolf Of Wall Street - enjoyed this, saw it in a packed cinema, people were shrieking with laughter which was nice.

Godzilla - a prick tease of a blockbuster that never really went anywhere.

Her - Joquin Phoenix moping around for 2 hours. Boo hooooooo.
Critics ate this one up.

Under The Skin - the whole cinema not being dark enough thing ruined this for me. Couldn't sink into it properly. Would have been better off waiting and seeing it in HD at home.

The cinema at the point always seems dark by today's standards. I go there early on Saturdays and there is rarely more than 8 people at a screening. It's great.

Feels mad going up 3 flights of escalators in that building without seeing a sinner about.

One of my favourite things

Dallas Buyers Club - overhyped to fuck, good to watch at home but doesn't need to be seen in the cinema. Funny that McConnaughy won an oscar for this while he was arguably doing the best work of his career......on television.

Nebraska - a nice solid film, but is it really worth leaving the house for?

American Hustle -entertaining Scorsese knock off, this one is an entertaining cinema watch I suppose. Critics blew their load over this though. It's not THAT good.

Wolf Of Wall Street - enjoyed this, saw it in a packed cinema, people were shrieking with laughter which was nice.

Godzilla - a prick tease of a blockbuster that never really went anywhere.

Her - Joquin Phoenix moping around for 2 hours. Boo hooooooo.
Critics ate this one up.

Under The Skin - the whole cinema not being dark enough thing ruined this for me. Couldn't sink into it properly. Would have been better off waiting and seeing it in HD at home.

Hold on so you're saying all those films are good (except for Her and Godzilla) and the lighting in a cinema ruined one of them, and it's critics fault that you expected better ?

You sir, have raised the bar for trolling.

No, what I'm saying is that I don't think most of those films are worth seeing in the cinema. A lot of them would be worth catching on tv some night but aren't MUST SEE movies.

Going the cinema these days involves spending the guts of a tenner (although I'm trying to find cheaper options these days), sitting through 20-25 minutes of tv advertisements and hoping that there are no chatty cunts or texters. The smaller movies which get the good reviews just don't seem like they are worth watching on the big screen (in my opinion) and then the larger scale budgeted pictures tend to be painfully stupid and time wasting (generally speaking).

No, what I'm saying is that I don't think most of those films are worth seeing in the cinema. A lot of them would be worth catching on tv some night but aren't MUST SEE movies.

Going the cinema these days involves spending the guts of a tenner (although I'm trying to find cheaper options these days), sitting through 20-25 minutes of tv advertisements and hoping that there are no chatty cunts or texters. The smaller movies which get the good reviews just don't seem like they are worth watching on the big screen (in my opinion) and then the larger scale budgeted pictures tend to be painfully stupid and time wasting (generally speaking).

Going to the cinema for me involves using the Cineworld card I have that I pay 20 quid a month for, spar cola and cheap chocolate for about 2 euro, turning up at least 10 minutes after the listed start time of the film and catching most or all of the trailers, and sitting as far away from anyone else as possible

So what is a MUST SEE cinema movie then.

Personally try to go to the cinema once a week. I love it, I have a projector at home too, I love being in a darkened room with a screen. I've never seen a movie ever which was better on a small screen outside the cinema. Not once. Everything is better in a cinema. It's a privilege to be able to go to the cinema. And by the way it costs a lot more here. £12 at least. So count your blessings and try asking what time the feature starts at the box office so you son't have to wait for the ads to finish. Obviously like.

Going to the cinema for me involves using the Cineworld card I have that I pay 20 quid a month for, spar cola and cheap chocolate for about 2 euro, ......
That sounds like cinema hell to me!

...sitting as far away from anyone else as possible
I'd go along with that, though I generaly don't like sitting too far back from the centre row, or sitting too far to the left or right.

For certain films, a full house adds to the experience. I still remember the buzz in the place during Pulp Fiction all those years ago. Great craic.

I'll set by the aisle left or right if it means being away from people. It doesn't make a big difference.
I do like being around the middle rather than the back though. I'll take the front over the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back