Tour de France 2007 thread (3 Viewers)

Lads, why did Wiggins not make the grade this year...and Froome crash out of TdF so early...

Another lad crashed out too?

Were the reasons genuine, or are they trying to avoid being in the public eye?

Lads, why did Wiggins not make the grade this year...and Froome crash out of TdF so early...

Another lad crashed out too?

Were the reasons genuine, or are they trying to avoid being in the public eye?

wiggins, because Froome and him don't get on and Sky wanted to avoid any sideshows that might come about from them bickering like kids.

As regards the crashes, thats an interesting one. Theres a school of thought that riders are getting so skinny these days that they're losing upper body strength and its compromising their bike handling skills. I think its plausible but its not the case with Contador and Froome. Froome was never a great bike handler and his crash came about on a wet day that was very aggressive due to cobbled sections that were upcoming.

Contador was trying to take on an energy bar while descending and hit a pothole. So nothing sinister there either.

The other crashes are all normal enough for the first week of the tour. You'll see less and less now that they're heading further south. I expect the weather will be drier in the alps and the bigger mountains will thin the field.

The only unusual thing about this tour when compared to others is that the 2 main favourites have both crashed out. I don't recall that happening before.

rumours abound that theres gonna be some high profile bio-passport anomalies announced in the next few days.

no names mentioned but it seems a certain schleck might be for the high jump. And even if he isn't it seems his team are going to drop him for being useless.

at proTour level it pretty much is (other than the token asian rider, ala man united, for sponsors' interests, etc). At lower levels its definitely not.

yeah, it is very white though there are some good riders coming through, eritrea has produced some good riders with berhane (europcar) and some pro continental riders like teklehaimanot and kudus on mtn energie while france's kevin reza of europcar seems to have been an omnipresent in the peloton with yohann gene also riding for them.

rumours abound that theres gonna be some high profile bio-passport anomalies announced in the next few days.

no names mentioned but it seems a certain schleck might be for the high jump. And even if he isn't it seems his team are going to drop him for being useless.

that is if they now announce findings publicly rather than carrying on investigations that we don't know about until they update their spreadsheet on their website to show that they've been suspended

Menchov case an example of the UCI's "new way of communicating" on doping violations | Cyclingnews.com

such a system would lead to heresay about a rider who might have an injury or another unexplained absense from the pro peloton

what about the Giro though?
i only went to the Dublin stage.
i parked myself 40 meters from the finish opposite a big screen in the VIP area after an hour the live feed came on and we saw the last 110 km on it.
there was one shower before 1 PM other than that weather was OK.
really enjoyed it. the public response for the three (plus) days was beyond my expectations.

people will always come out for a big event but cycling in genuinely popular these days.
i used to have to explain who was who, the Armstrong allegations and how blood doping works to people but it's all common knowledge now. I can retire.

the MTN Qhubeka from South Africa could have been at the Tour and Giro as several World Tour teams went out of business
last year but the organizers decided to go for weak local teams
instead - i still can't believe the Bretagne Seche got a ride in the
Tour although they were better than Cofidis.

MTN-Q do have a ride for the Vuelta. they have (mostly young)
riders from Eritrea, Rwanda, Algeria, Ethiopia, a lot of (mostly white) South Africans and some more experienced Europeans.
the Giro was the first Grand Tour for a while not to feature a Black rider but i wouldn't be surprised if that never happens again.

I still look at Thumped regularly but hardly ever bother to log in.
this is the first time i've posted anything since last year.

I was working at the Giro, and that 'shower before 1 p.m' was a pain in the hole and lasted about an hour.
I was down on the quays near the Point when they all came past me, all that work for 5 seconds of cyclists flying by at 60k/hr, haha

I was working at the Giro, and that 'shower before 1 p.m' was a pain in the hole and lasted about an hour.
I was down on the quays near the Point when they all came past me, all that work for 5 seconds of cyclists flying by at 60k/hr, haha
so I was I but I was stuck in the back arsehole of swords and saw fuck all of it and had a load of cantankerous fucks complaining cos no one told them the road was closed. Pricks.

MTN-Q do have a ride for the Vuelta. they have (mostly young)
riders from Eritrea, Rwanda, Algeria, Ethiopia, a lot of (mostly white) South Africans and some more experienced Europeans.
the Giro was the first Grand Tour for a while not to feature a Black rider but i wouldn't be surprised if that never happens again.

an interesting article was about quintana's ethnicity Cycling Inquisition: How we see ourselves. Race, ethnocentricity and the variable concept of being.

We Colombians largely view ourselves as Colombian, and that usually means that we are a mix of native, European and sometimes African blood. But this is not something we usually think about, as many in the United States do with their sometimes distant Irish, Italian or German roots. The spectrum of how dark the color of our skin is speaks to that mix, and yet we continue to see ourselves as Colombian. This is not because Colombia is a utopian nation where race is not an issue (plus, our class divisions sometimes make up for that), it's just the way things are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back