This Show Totally Rocks - Radioactive International (1 Viewer)

The septic

Basically, the show moved from 2xm and changed name from The Loving Room Floor to This Show Totally Rocks over a year ago and I have still been posting on the Loving Room Floor thread. So here is a new thread for the brand new/year and half old show.

For anyone that doesn't know what the show is about. It is an hour of internet radio that focuses on punk, rock and garage and most of the combinations of those words. I focus a lot on the American side of things, but try to include music from all over the world. The show goes out every Thursday at 21.00 UTC over on Radioactive International.

If anyone ever wants to get a hold of me about the show do it here or over on FB or Twitter. Anyways, here's the last two shows.

13/03/14- This week I am joined in studio by none other than the illustrious Conzo for cool tunes and a bit of a natter. Between the two of us we picked out some of our favourite songs and had a bit of a laugh. Tune in for Destoy All Monsters, The Atlantics, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall Band, Ram and Sel, The Fall, Bambi, The Hot Snakes, John Otway and Wild Willie Barrett, The Electric Eels, Mudhoney, The Supersuckers, The Plugz, The Homosexuals, The Marked Men and last, but not least, Terry Manning.

06/03/14 - This week’s show is an exploration or someone else’s idea of punk. I found a website that listed the Uncut Magazine’s 50 greatest American punk LPs of all time and found it to be an interesting enough list that I have picked some of my favourite’s from it for tonights show. Tune in for The Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, Big Boys, Really Red, The Descendents, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Minutemen, Black Randy and the Metro Squad, The Dicks, The Dead Boys, New York Dolls, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Television, The Wipers, The Ramones, The Dickies, Blondie, Iggy Pop and James Williamson, X, The Modern Lovers, Devo, The Angry Samoans and according to Uncut Magazine, the greatest American punk band of all time, The Dictators.

Some great tunes tonight to brighten up what was another rather sad week for those who love the rock. This week’s show is dedicated to Scott Asheton, his bands, his music and the music of his contemporaries. Things kick off with 4 of his bands The Stooges, Sonic’s Rendezvous Band, Sonny Vincent and Destroy All Monsters. Then its on to recent Bass Stooge Mike Watt for a bit of Firehose and The Missingmen. A quick one from Monotonix comes out of left field and then its back to some proto-punk with Crime and Richard Hell and the Voidoids. Gary Burger also passed this last week so it’s a three song dedication with The Monks, The Sonics and King Khan and His Shrines. We head back to Detroit for a bit of Death and the MC5 before going on a road trip for Blue Cheer, Hawkwind and GOD. Last up it’s a brand new one off of Scott Asheton’s last release with The Stooges. -
Tune in here

This week’s show is mostly about touring bands, bands that are playing here, bands that aren’t and bands that are playing other places.

That said the first band on the show tonight is one I hadn’t heard of until last week and one that broke up in 1988 – Pailhead. Then its on to tomorrow nights gig in the Hut. Although they haven’t put anything out yet, New Gods are described as being a cross between Dead Boys and Poison Idea so both of them get played and then the headline act Clocked Out get a turn.

Things continue with bands that have played in Dublin in recent years – Negative Approach, Career Suicide, Conflict and the Subhumansbefore we focus on bands that are touring, just not here – Autistic Youth, Neighborhood Brats, Low Culture, The Estranged, Mean Jeans and Red Fang (who are getting as close as the UK!)

Next its Don Caballero, Jeff the Brotherhood, The Briefs, Natural Child, The Pixies, Fag Enablerz, Puget Sound, Electric Eel Shock (who are heading back here) and last The Butthole Surfers.

As always all bands are linked to sites where you can purchase the songs played on the show and/or bios, tour dates etc. Support local bands, support local venues, support local gigs, if you are around tomorrow night head to the Clocked Out gig. If you want to chat, have requests, etc. Gimme a shout over on FB

Tune in here

Tonight’s show kicks off as too many shows have already kicked off in 2014, with a song from a recently deceased punk rocker. Tonight it is Dave Gregg’s DOA.

Next it’s the Night Birds, Tongan Death Grip, Sonido Alfredo and The Spits. Nirvana are next owing to their scandalous induction to the Hall of Fame and the anniversary of Kurt Cobain’s death and then its on to together Pangea, Bass Drum of Death, The High Tension Wires, Radioactivity, The Bad Sports and the Kids.

A few classics follow with PIL, Adam and the Ants and David Bowie and then its on to Jay Reatard,So Cow, Matt K Shrugg, NoMeansNo, Gout, Hunx and his Punx and finally a bit of Nazz

Tune in, turn on, rock out.

This week’s show is packed full of riffs, licks and solos. First up its all about the good time Punk/Metal with Fucked Up, Annihilation Time, Wizards of Firetop Mountain, Witch, Mondo Generator and Helmet. Things then go a bit Amrep with Gas Huffer and Boss Hog and then its on to Rapeman, together PANGEA, Qui, Murder City Devils, Leatherface, Stomach, Against Me, Rocket From the Crypt and Tokyo Electron. Last up it’s the Pink Fairies to show us how it was done before most of us were even born.

Tune in, wig out, apologise to the neighbors tomorrow.

The art at the top (which actually says Wizards of Firetop Mountain if you can read it) is by Karen who is part of the deadly Wereworms

-

This week’s show is the 81st This Show Totally Rocks on Radioactive so its going all Hardcore 81 in honour of the achievement. First up its DOA (of course) then its classics 80’s hardcore from Bad Brains, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Adolescents, Agent Orange, DI, Descendents, Dag Nasty, 7 Seconds, The Authorities, Minor Threat, Angry Samoans, Middle Class and Dayglo Abortions . We come back up to date somewhat with Brutal Knights and then its back to classics from Dead Kennedys and Zero Boys. The show hops over to Engerland for tunes from The Damned, The Ruts, The Boys and Snuff and then its on to the home stretch with The Briefs, Husker Du, The Gits, The Reverend Horton Heat and finally a dancy number from Operation Ivy. If you don’t have Hardcore 81 GET IT NOW!!! Tune this in, turn it up and rock it till your ma comes to your room and tells you to turn it down!!

Oh yeah, The Queers sneak in right at the end just cuz.

Tune in here

This Show Totally Rocks 82 24th April

This week’s show has a bit of something for everybody (that likes the tunes I like). First up it’s a classic one from the Pixies then it’s on Against Me, Fugazi, Hot snakes, OFF! (deadly video here), Dean Dirg, The Spits, Snake Flower 2, CoCoComa, Unnatural Helpers, Mudhoney, The Gits, The Marked Men and Mean Jeans. Then it’s our first local tune of the evening from Retarded Cop before going power pop with The Dickies, Steve Adamyk Band, another Irish one from The #1’s. Jay Reatard and Death both get a look in next. Two more Irish bands sneak in with Thin Lizzy andthe objectorZ and then it’s a bit of Turbonegro to round things off. Tune in, rock out, support local and independent music.

This Weekend is Gonna Totally Rock 8th May

This Weekend Totally Rocks 84 8th May

This week’s show is somewhat dedicated to that well known Dublin phenomenon where there are no gigs for months and then suddenly gigs every night and then no gigs for months again. The show also features a ton of newish garage-ish music in a stark departure from the last few weeks. Festivities kick off with Sunday night’s Jon Spencer Blues Explosion U:mack gig. Then its on to The Dwarves, The Men, Moonhearts, Bass Drum of Death, Neighborhood Brats, Hunx and his Punx, Mind Spiders, Legendary Wings and Earthmen and Strangers. Then its back to Friday night’s gig in the Joinery featuring Gummidge and :Hounds:. Saturday night sees the welcome return of cans on the canal and gigs in the old Lower Deck featuring (among others) Whole Sick (a re-vamped Pulled Apart who are played here) and good time rock legends Wizards of Firetop Mountain. Closing out the show its Ty Segall, Rozwell Kid, Muletrain, DC Snipers, Sonic Avenues, Video and lastly one from Dinosaur Jr.

If you only take two things from this show let them be these:

1. Go to local gigs cuz they are great craic.

2. If you keep dropping your microphone, your radio show may sound like you recorded it in a wind tunnel.

Tune in, turn it up, see you on the canal.

This Show Totally Rocks 85 15th May

This week’s show is all over the jaysis shop to reflect the recent few weeks of my life. It all kicks off with a one two punch of Nomeansno and Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine. Then its on to a band that I just found out played Dublin last week – Clutch. From there we move on to Helmet, Red Fang (free download at link), Fucked Up, Psyched to Die, The Zero Boys (new album out soon!?!) The Carbonas, Ex-Cult, The Reatards, The Brutal Knights, The Cheater Slicks, Reigning Sound, Gaunt, Superchunk, Mean Jeans, The Clorox Girls, The White Wries, The High Tension Wires and lastly a couple of good old fashioned Killed by Death comp bands, Willies and The Lewd

Streaming now! Tune in, turn it up, come over and help me paint my attic.

These Irish Bands Totally Rock 29th May

These Irish Bands Totally Rock 87 29th May

This week’s show is all Irish bands. I am in the final stages of a complete ‘Studio F’ referb and I just couldn’t put together a new show this week. So I present you here with one of my favourites from the last time I made a big move that effected my radio presenting. Tune in for:

Stomach

The Steam Pig

Pincher Martin

Ciunas

Gout

Pet Lamb

Bambi

Female Hercules

Rudi

The Undertones

Protex

Stiff Little Fingers

Therapy?

The KABINBOY

Damien Frost

Puget Sound

Terrordactyl

Estel

Moutpiece

Clink on to the links for some deadly live videos, websites, etc.

Tune in, spread the word, support local music, it totally rocks.

I missed sticking the show up here last week, so here's a two-fer:

Rik Mayall and The Young Ones Totally Rocked 12th June

Rik Mayall Totally Rocked 12th June

Once again this week’s show is a memorial show to a punk rock figure who has passed away in 2014. My exposure to Rik Mayall was largely based around The Young Ones and so that’s the theme for this evening. Things start off all British and gritty with Motorhead, The Sex Pistols, The Dammed, Dexy’s Midnight Runners, Madness, Culture Shock, The Partisans, Slaughter and the Dogs, Peter and the Test Tube Babies and X-Ray Spex. At the half hour mark we move into a more 80’s inspired set with Ian Drury and the Blockheads, The B-52’s, Adam and the Ants, The Stranglers and Spizz Energi. The punk makes a welcome return with The Outcasts, Stiff Little Fingers and the Ruts before The Buzzcocks finish things off. Fairwell and fair play to the People’s Poet, thanks for the madness.

Tune in, Rock out, watch The Young Ones again.

All the links these week take you to deadly live videos of all the bands (most of it TV appearances, some of them from the Young Ones)

These Irish Bands Also Totally Rock 5th June

These Irish Bands Totally Rock As Well 5th June

Last week’s all Irish show was so popular and work on Studio F has been so intensive that it’s another Throwback Thursday edition here on the show (the gigs mentioned in the show have already happened (and were deadly!). Once again this show is all Irish and once again this is not the first time it has aired. Tune in for

Coitus,

Pink Turds in Space,

Jobseekers,

The Lee Harveys,

Ghost Trap,

Fuck Mountain,

The #1’s,

The Cheap Freaks,

The Revellions,

Fag Enablerz,

No Spill Blood,

Jackbeast,

Gummidge,

Harvester,

Realistic Train,

Wizards of Firetop Mountain,

The Freebooters,

Running Riot

Kidd Blunt.

Tune in, turn it up, support the scene, brand new show next week.

Pic of Skinny by Janer

These Summery Tunes Totally Rock 89 19th June

This Summer Weather Totally Rocks 89 19th June

This week’s show reflects that fact that I’d had my first sea swim of the year and was just sitting down to an ice cold beer when I hit record. As a result, the tunes are much more light and sunny than last week’s anarchy in the UK extravaganza. Things kick off with FIDLAR, together PANGEA, Bass Drum of Death, Pavement, Squarehead, Hazel, Howlies, King Tuff, Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall. Things go local in dedication to this Friday’s Big Itch Club with tunes from The Things, The September Girls and Hunk (none of who are playing, but all of who are deadly!) and then it’s back to America for Jay Reatard, The Mind Spiders, Bad Sports, Mean Jeans, Low Culture, The White Wires, Spider Fever,Henry Rollins and the Fall Outs. The Pixies finish things off with one of the most summery tunes of all time.

Tune in, turn it up, slather yourself in cooking oil and get your lobster on, it’s summertime.

All of this week’s links take to you to band websites and bandcamp sites where you can stream and/or download deadly tunes.

Two more shows for your listening pleasure:
These Rock Tunes Totally Rock 26th June

This Rock Totally Rocks 90 26th June

This week’s show is brought to you by the rock because I am all excited to be playing it myself tonight after a bit of an absence from the live stage.

Tune in for:

GOD

The Pink Fairies

the objectorZ

Annihilation Time

Gluecifer

The Tight Bros from Way Back When

Comets on Fire

The Melvins

Red Fang

Queens of the Stone Age

FUZZ

Jeff the Brotherhood

Nashville Pussy

Zeke

Neighborhood Brats

Turbonegro

The Hookers

The Flaming Sideburns

and of course a bit of Thin Lizzy.

Tune in, turn it up

4th July Totally Rocks, especially on 3rd July

4th of July Totally Rocks 3rd July

Tomorrow is my home country’s national day of independence so in honour of eating twice the recommended daily caloric intake in a single meal, driving around in cars only slightly smaller and more economical that an articulated lorry and generally being armed to the jaysus teeth when partaking in such high risk activities as popping down to the shops, every song tonight has America in the title. Tune in for :

Dayglo Abortions: Wake Up America

The FU’s- American Band

Jello Biafra and Randy Bachman- American Woman

DOA- America the Beautiful

Black Flag- American Waste

Agent Orange- America

The Freeze- American Town

Big Black- Ugly American

The Jesus Lizard- American BB

The Celibate Rifles- Thank You America

The Briefs- We Americans

Against Me!- Americans Abroad

The Demonics- American Icon

Bad Religion- American Jesus

The Arrivals- Simple Pleasures in America

NOFX- Franco Un-American

The Bronx- Heart Attack Americans

Iggy Pop- Wild America

The Minutemen- Untitled Song for Latin America

Liquor Store- Proud to be an American Man

We are a lovely people with a proud history of music and art and for some of us the 4th is a day for family, friends, food and fireworks. So turn this show up, fire up the BBQ and start stuffing red meat into your colon like there is no tomorrow.

This Guest Host Totally Rocks 10th July

Last week’s show was dedicated to the somewhat unexpected free gaff that my wife I and I found ourselves with on a summery weekday evening. An art opening in town, a quick falafel and a few tins in Trinners all led to a few tunes getting played and a few more tins getting milled back in Studio F. Things kick off with The Power Chords, The Marked Men, Mikal Cronin, PJ Harvey, Stiff Little Fingers, The Supersuckers and Starfish. Tara gets all teen angsty with The Smiths and House of Love and then its on to tunes you can dance to from Duran Duran, Jay Reatard, Squeeze, Dexys Midnight Runners, Madness, Bad Manners, The Breeders, The Violent Femmes and Tara’s last pick, Wizards of Firetop Mountain. Of course because we were having a bit of a dance in the kitchen the very last tune is a bit of OutKast to get your bop on to.

Tune in, turn it up, get your shapes on.

This Show Totally Rocks 93 17th July

This Show Totally Rocks 93 17th July

This week’s show was supposed to be a tribute to the late Tommy Ramone and all of the Ramones really so it starts off with The Ramones and some of their contemporaries; The Dictators, New York Dolls and The Dead Boys. But then the speed of the Ramones knocked me into a more 80’s hardcore vibe with The Mad, Kraut, Really Red, Misfits, The Angry Samoans, The Adolescents, The Descendents, 7 Seconds, Scream and Dag Nasty. At the half hour mark the show returns to more of an homage to the sound of the Ramones with Mean Jeans, The White Wires, Bad Sports, Teenage Bottlerocket, The Circle Jerks, The Boys, The Dickies, The Steve Adamyk Band, The Hives and The Wax Museums. At the end The Stooges get a look in before an absolute classic from Taste finishes the show.

It may be a bit all over the place, but its all fast and most of it has some sort of pop appeal to it, so that’s The Ramones in a nutshell.

Turn it up, play it loud, RIP the original punk line-up.

My Folks Totally Rock 24th July

My Folks Totally Rock 24th July

This week’s show is something special and well worth its 2 hour running time. I had the honour of interviewing the two most musically influential people in my life. These two don’t understand punk rock, they have never heard of most of the bands played on this show and in 1977 the last thing on their minds was the birth of a genre I have now dedicated large parts of my life to. Their influence on me goes deeper and manifests itself in the lifelong love of music I have today. The two people in question are my parents.

The show starts at the beginning, for them anyways, with he first gig they ever went to in 1957. We discuss everything from how the music was consumed and celebrated to what effect it had on the young and impressionable youth living in a very austere America in the 1950’s. Music here includes Bill Haley and the Comets, Little Richard, The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and of course Elvis Presley.

The discussion moves on to the idea of rebellion and to the time of huge changes in music and society which the Woodstock Festival highlighted. Music here includes records from my parents record collection, records with well thumbed corners, records that obviously meant something special to them: Janis Joplin, The Beatles (twice), Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Rolling Stones and although much later, The Eagles.

As the conversation continues we touch on some bands that stand out for both myself and my parents as we all continued to mature; Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young.

We also discuss what music means to us and why we are still so interested in it. We talk about the power of music to take us back to other times in our lives and to help us to celebrate as well as to grieve. Simon and Garfunkel and Bruce Springsteen are both used to illustrate these points.

And then at the end we discuss punk and we discuss what it means to me personally so of course I get a bit cheeky and wrap things up with a bit of Moutpiece.

Growing up, there was always music in the house. The stereo was available for everyone in the family and it was rarely turned off. It is something I am now trying to pass on to my own children because it has always given me so much joy and enriched my life.

I have to thank my folks for taking part in this wonderful project and would encourage anyone with a microphone to do something similar with someone that is musically special in their life.

Tune this one in, turn it to a respectable level, whatever you do, keep listening to music.

This Show Totally Rocks 94 31st July

That Live Music Totally Rocks 31st July

After last week’s show which highlighted my parents’ introduction to live music, I started thinking about my own introduction to live music and the bands and venues that effected me as an emerging music fanatic. So this week’s show is another slightly documentary style affair. It starts with the first proper gig I ever went to on 31st May 1990. That was Fugazi and my first local gig was just a few days later and was Portland Funk Metal stalwarts Sweaty Nipples. I quickly developed a taste for local live music and started going to an all ages social/art/gig space called the X-Ray Café. There I was introduced to Completely Grocery, Sugar Boom, M99 and Tao Jones among many others. This was a time when cassette tapes ruled the landscape so unfortunately following the great cassette tape purge of 1998, I couldn’t play any of the other X-Ray regulars on tonight’s show (Big Daddy Meat Straw, Last Pariahs, etc.)

1991 brought the northwest grunge era with Sprinkler and Pond both doing their best to break out of what was then considered a fairly rural backwater. For me it was off to University in Eugene where I discovered that college kids love a bit of a reggae vibe – Jolly Mon, Jock Metal – Floater and even a bit of Jazz Metal – Buckhorn. Meanwhile things were really starting to kick off back in Portland with bands like Hazel and Heatmiser garnering national attention. By the time I moved back I was finally old enough to go to gigs in Satyricon and EJ’s and found that big guitars had taken over the landscape in the shape of bands like Gern Blanston and Thirty Ought Six and again many many others Finally, no show on 90’s era Portland could be complete without a bit of Hitting Birth.

This show is only the tip of the iceberg regarding what kind of local music was alive and kicking in Oregon in the 90′s. The small scene of the early part of the decade exploded in the second half of it and laid the groundwork for the music mecca Portland has become. I have included as much info on the bands and venues as I could in the links this week, but if anyone has any questions, wants more information or wants to give me more information, please feel free to contact me. It is a subject I have all the time in the world for.

Tune this one in, rock out, tell people you knew Portland before it was cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back