The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (1 Viewer)

Some bands you just have to get into in your own time without any outside influence. The stuff I'm most into hasn't been rammed down my throat. I always think of Judee Sill when talking about this sort of thing. I was half reading a thread on thumped and I think 2 posts in a row talked favorably about this "Judee Sill". A link was posted and I clicked it. TBH usually I wouldn't bother. Within a few months I had everything she'd released. Fantastic. What's my point? Oh yea, On the right day and the right way I could see myself getting into, and then deep into, The National. Too late for that now though.

there a shit version of the shit versions of sonic youth that used to be arround in the early 90s.
I can see why they'd be popular though. Theres a new generation of music fan who want stuff thats instantly catchy and kind of 'cool'. I think Parquet Courts fit the bill for those kids.

I saw them live twice last year. First time was at EP and they did nothing for me. Second time was in whelans and I thought they were great.

But I'd almost never listen to anything by them.

Yeah, the massive fame of The National in Ireland confuses me a little too. I mean, I've loved them for years but that's because they are sad, self-hating middle class people with guitars and frankly, that's all I ask for.

In a way I can fully understand why the National are huge in Ireland. Irish people lap up that boring, folky, tweedy, crying-in-my-whisky shite. It's the alt-Garth Brooks for fucks sake

A significant number of women i've been involved with recently like the national. I can't really lie about that kind of thing. Bit of a dealbreaker.

So sick of pitchfork blabbing on about Parquet Courts. I fucking wish I didn't get them, but they're so easy to get it drives me mad.

Foo Fighters
If I could secretly kill someone with impunity, it would be Dave Grohl

I'm working through it though

I think they're a terrible band (that early single, Big Me, aside. At least as far as I remember it from 20 years ago) but Grohl seems like a personable sort of guy.

I don't know who John Cooper Clarke is. I've dismissed them as Blur doing The Fall

There seems to be a spectrum

basically the streets, no?

Total JCC

To quote myself, I'm not hard enough to listen to these lads.

Big whiff of The Fall in there too, right?
(Hugh liked them though)

Fuck me, I hate that. It sounds like the Kersal Massive doing their thing over a 5 second loop of a Fall track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back