Britpop backlash (2 Viewers)

Did you read the article? That's exactly what I thought he was at least trying to do. No need to be so touchy cos you like boorish three-chord pub rock.
Yeah I did, and the context works both ways. Yes Britpop related to what "yob" culture, but equally those "yobs" related to britpop because the indie scene was filled with grunge, hip hop, electronica and trip hop etc which those "yobs" didn't feel was relevant to their experience.

His thesis here is "Britpop set british music back" it's not that simple. You could equally say that britpop was nessiscary so that a part of british society had something which felt (albeit briefly) like it addressed them.

This is the equivalent of Oprah ragging on hip-hop for setting black culture back.

And for the record I liked the first 2 Oasis albums and think any scene that spawned Blur and Pulp is well worth it. See also Supergrass, Mansun, The Manics et al and eventually even Radiohead benefitted from britpop's legacy. Of course he's not going to mention the latter few because it doesn't really suit his "music for yobs" theory.

This is revisionist history and nostalgia for you, one mans gold and all that.

You should hear my theory on the "if you could kill Hitler as a baby?" scenario. Buy me a few pints and I'll drive you up the wall.

I know that wouldn't be hard for me to do to you.

Some day people will see Pulp as more than just a stick to hit other britpop bands with. Every second person thinks they're fucking enlightened when they tell you "Blur or Oasis? I CHOOSE PULP haha deal with it." Swear to god i've read that article so many times i'm inclined to start a "comprehensive list of articles where people think they're being clever by saying Pulp* are the only britpop band they like" thread.

Put on the best of Sleeper, it's a great listen with great lyrics. Fuck the clueless haters.

* and sometimes Suede.

The It girl is a great pop album. The other's are patchy.

Re: the oasis yob thing. I noticed loads of "lads" at the time who were not into guitar bands suddenly liked oasis.

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't go as far as saying they released any great albums start to finish but they make a fantastic greatest hits. Point being that this is ok, never hurt Motown.

Are the Stone Roses too much of a sacred cow to be included in that article?

Are they a 'Brit Pop' band?

I confess I'd never heard the term "the scene that celebrates itself' until I read this thread so I might be in over my head here with my opinions

Are the Stone Roses too much of a sacred cow to be included in that article?

Are they a 'Brit Pop' band?

I confess I'd never heard the term "the scene that celebrates itself' until I read this thread so I might be in over my head here with my opinions
They're way too early though, right? People like them, regardless of your opinions on the Second Coming, because of an album that came out in 1989.

I'd consider the Scene that Celebrates as up there with Romo and Bratpop, i.e. terms that never really got beyond the pages of Melody Maker and NME (and Select).

Has anyone read this? Been meaning to get it:

Kill Your Friends: Amazon.co.uk: John Niven: Books

Meet Steven Stelfox. London 1997: New Labour is sweeping into power and Britpop is at its zenith. A&R man Stelfox is slashing and burning his way through the music industry, fuelled by greed and inhuman quantities of cocaine, searching for the next hit recordamid a relentless orgy of self-gratification. But as the hits dry up and the industry begins to change, Stelfox must take the notion of cut throat business practices to murderous new levels in a desperate attempt to salvage his career.

it's being turned into a film this year

Some day people will see Pulp as more than just a stick to hit other britpop bands with. Every second person thinks they're fucking enlightened when they tell you "Blur or Oasis? I CHOOSE PULP haha deal with it." Swear to god i've read that article so many times i'm inclined to start a "comprehensive list of articles where people think they're being clever by saying Pulp* are the only britpop band they like" thread.

Put on the best of Sleeper, it's a great listen with great lyrics. Fuck the clueless haters.

* and sometimes Suede.

This is very true.

The "plump for Pulp" people often seem to be smug about it.

Has anyone read this? Been meaning to get it:

Kill Your Friends: Amazon.co.uk: John Niven: Books

it's being turned into a film this year

Fantastic book.

Here's Stelfox on how desire for fame tops talent

“In return for her fifteen minutes I guarantee you that Geri Halliwell would have risen at the crack of dawn every morning for a year and swum naked through a river of shark-infested, HIV-positive semen – cutting the throats of children, old age pensioners and cancer patients and throwing them behind her as she went – just to be allowed to do a sixty-second regional radio interview. This is the kind of person you want to sign. You’ve got a shot with that kind of attitude. Talented? Fuck off. Go and work in a guitar shop with all the other talented losers.”

Every second person thinks they're fucking enlightened when they tell you "Blur or Oasis? I CHOOSE PULP haha deal with it.

In fairness the last time someone asked me 'the question' it was in this decade and my reason for saying pulp was that i knew the very presence of 'the question' meant the relationship was doomed to fail.

In fairness the last time someone asked me 'the question' it was in this decade and my reason for saying pulp was that i knew the very presence of 'the question' meant the relationship was doomed to fail.
All's fair in Britpop and riding.

* and sometimes Suede.
Especially since the anser to the question should have been Supergrass anyway.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back